Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

turbo addict

Re: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Does anyone have the part number for the black line that connects at the top of the headlight on the backside of adjustment screw and loops downwards to underneath the headlight on another type of screw? It looks like a vacuum line but has threads inside it? I removed the grille from my car today to put into safe keeping and both of those broke when taking the headlights out (the threads came out with the screws).
    looks like you want #4, i dont have the pn but it's 16.10msrp and used from 89-94

OK cool so it's nothing specific for the 89s. I'll have my parts guy find the part number from looking at this diagram, thanks Rich!

Does anyone know the proper way to take the headlights out without ruining that piece? How about reinstalling them, is it just as difficult?

turbo addict

OK cool so it's nothing specific for the 89s. I'll have my parts guy find the part number from looking at this diagram, thanks Rich!

Does anyone know the proper way to take the headlights out without ruining that piece? How about reinstalling them, is it just as difficult?
    No, not at all. Same headlamps on P-body's 89-94 so they'll be as rare as the flu.

I'm not sure you did anything incorrectly to remove them so much that it could be the plastic getting old, brittle, and weak and when you went to go move it, it snapped.

I'd look on eBay for a set of Mopar shop manuals.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...QQcmdZViewItem

Also on eBay I've seen parts identifiers. They have all the pics and part numbers for every peice on the car, get them for like $6.00 to your door. Get one of those too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PART-...QQcmdZViewItem

Well the piece that connected to the bottom of the headlight did snap, but the top one, upon unscrewing it, started to pull the threads out from the inside.

Right on though, the guy who helps me with parts has those on an old school projector type of thing and I just look them up on there if need be. It may be worth getting one though to have on hand. Thanks Rich!

Hybrid booster

[QUOTE=DC Turismo;257324]Awesome Greg! Are you doing CSX-VNT GFX on it?[/QUOTE

its going to be a cross of 89 csx and a dc shadow

If you do up a DC hood you gotta get me fixed up with one since I got you the 2dr Lbody DC one! lol...

Hybrid booster

If you do up a DC hood you gotta get me fixed up with one since I got you the 2dr Lbody DC one! lol...
    i got the scoop at sdac 13 its been waiting for use. i had a post on td a few years ago but no one wanted to put up the money to get more done

Well I'll take one!

I seriously cannot wait to get my CSX done and be able to cruise it around town. Today, there's this young chap who is in a newer WRX, wwwwwwwwrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaa ccccccchhhhhhhsssssshhhhhhhhh every two seconds, then taking off, slowing down, and repeating. What I would give to have my CSX behind him when he'd have done it. I'm hoping to restore this thing as close to a T as I can, but I tell you what, I will drive it and have some fun with it too, especially with guys like that who wouldn't have any idea what in the hell just blew by 'em.

Hybrid booster

What is the stock tire size?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE B View Post
    What is the stock tire size?
    195/60VR-15 or 225/50VR-15 depending weather it had the wide tire option.
    No fun cars any more :(

Although I'm going for an as close to original resto as possible with my car, would it be wrong to add a 2.5" exhaust as a slight mod? I want this thing to sound good and look better than compared to the stock exhaust setup. I am wanting to since it would be a part that COULD BE converted back to stock if the situation called for it to be.

Thoughts?

Hybrid booster

They allow it on F.A.S.T cars.

Ron

turbo addict

Although I'm going for an as close to original resto as possible with my car, would it be wrong to add a 2.5" exhaust as a slight mod? I want this thing to sound good and look better than compared to the stock exhaust setup. I am wanting to since it would be a part that COULD BE converted back to stock if the situation called for it to be.

Thoughts?
    Even though your going back to original, its still YOUR car. You have to decide what youre going to do with it. If youre going to do concours shows with the car (dont know how many there are with a "Shelby Dodge" class), theyre gonna take points off for that. So, if thats what you want, keep the exhaust original. If youre gonna drive the car, take it to SDAC, and have a good time with it, make it how you want, keeping in mind you may want to return it to original in 20 yrs to sell it to fund your retirement.

I want to restore my CSX as well. But, I want it to look bone stock from the outside, AND I want all my current performance (and then some). So, im leaving the drive train as is.........BUT I want to have ALL the original parts for the car in boxes so that it could be returned to original at some point in the future. So, now that I have all the body parts together, I am after a Shelby valve cover, mobil 1 plaque, some misc interior pieces, the original computer and wiring harness, etc. A little at a time.

Thanks for your input Sean. PM me and I can get you a contact for the Mobil 1 plaque

In the meantime, check this out and tell me this isn't neat guys! After talking with the second owner of my CSX over the weekend, he dug up some pics of it that he took right after he bought it from an auto auction... in 1993! Talk about a major flashback! This was my car, 15 years ago with just about 16k on the clock! :

^^^ Original tires were still on it!

Notice the absence of the front and rear airdams. They were gone when he bought it he said. Evidence can be seen of the front apparently getting crunched on the left and right side of the front bumper cover - notice the paint chips.

The fiberides were on the car when he sold them to the third owner (who I bought the car from). Unfortunately, they traded them away!

I then called the original owner to tell him that I found out some more info about the car and he thought it was awesome news! He told me in addition to these pictures I received from the second owner that he was planning on sending me a ton of pics his mother found in a photo album of when the car was BRAND NEW

What do you think?>?
    Last edited by DC Turismo; 02-04-2008 at 09:25 PM.

BTW Sean, I think I'm going to do the 2.5" exhaust. I hope to have the car good enough so it wouldn't be abig deal to lose a couple of points for that upgrade haha... But like you said, anything that is needed to turn it back to all stock will be in a rubbermaid tub in storage haha.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Mine got a 2.5" exhaust, as well.... So I think its fine!

Those photos are really cool! I was able to contact a previous owner of my CSX; but they seemed rather disinterested in sharing anything.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Mary Beth The main reason I want to do an exhaust upgrade is because I want to have this car have a good sound to it. Heard a few stock exhaust VNTs run and they're too quiet lol...

I read somewhere recently though that the mufflers on the CSX-VNTs were restrictive for the purpose of building up gases in the turbo. Is that at all true, to the point that by adding a 2.5" you'd be interfering with that?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

There were a lot of discussions in the past about bigger exhaust causing overboost problems on the VNT cars.

I was just talking with a friend that has an 89 CSX last night at dinner. He put a 2.5" system on his with a flowmaster, the boost went from 8-10psi to 14-15psi as result. It obviously pulls harder, and he' been running it that way for quite a while with no issues. The VNT computers seems to allow a little more overboost and he hasn't experienced any shutdown or codes.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    There were a lot of discussions in the past about bigger exhaust causing overboost problems on the VNT cars.

I was just talking with a friend that has an 89 CSX last night at dinner. He put a 2.5" system on his with a flowmaster, the boost went from 8-10psi to 14-15psi as result. It obviously pulls harder, and he' been running it that way for quite a while with no issues. The VNT computers seems to allow a little more overboost and he hasn't experienced any shutdown or codes.

And that was without a G-valve or Stage'd SBEC?

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast