Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

Re: The Shelby CSX-VNT Owner's Thread

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I called to try and pick them up, but he said that set that is left will only fit the 4 door shadow. Maybe it can be modified to fit a 2 door; but I don't have the skills necessary to try it.
    Ah, see they didn't tell me that detail.

Oh well! Maybe someone who does have the skills will make them work

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I called to try and pick them up, but he said that set that is left will only fit the 4 door shadow. Maybe it can be modified to fit a 2 door; but I don't have the skills necessary to try it.

Yea, I called too. Same story to me. They must be saying "What the heck?.....why is everyone asking about Shadow GFX?"

I cant understand why a company would ever destroy molds.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Yea, I called too. Same story to me. They must be saying "What the heck?.....why is everyone asking about Shadow GFX?"

I cant understand why a company would ever destroy molds.
    It gets to a point where nobody is buying the product and the molds are just overhead taking up space. If they kept every old mold they would probably need a huge warehouse to keep them in, which would cost them money, and I doubt they would get an equal return on that. For the 5 or 10 people that would want something like this is just not worth it from a financial perspective.

That said I wish they would sell the molds rather than destroy them, put them on ebay or something. (I've got room in my attic).
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    It gets to a point where nobody is buying the product and the molds are just overhead taking up space. If they kept every old mold they would probably need a huge warehouse to keep them in, which would cost them money, and I doubt they would get an equal return on that. For the 5 or 10 people that would want something like this is just not worth it from a financial perspective.

That said I wish they would sell the molds rather than destroy them, put them on ebay or something. (I've got room in my attic).
    Maybe I just dont have a good perspective on how big a mold is. And yea, why DESTROY them? I guess they dont want others copying their work?

Hybrid booster

I bought number 28 in Aug. The car had been repainted, but the car had not been put back together. The back bumper was off. The rear wing needs to be painted. I have been putting it back togther. I have the back bumper on. I put the decals on it. I also took the wheels off and put some three spokes on it. That I had from my 94 Shadow that I owned a while back. I have come across some electrcial problems. So I am going to pull the dash and replace the dash wire harness. I am also going to add power mirriors to it. Here are some pictures of it shortly after I got it. Also I have a question about getting tires dismounted from the orignal wheels. Can a regular tire place dismount them or do i need to take them to a special place?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Any tire place should be able to do them. Just make sure they use a "euro" or "touchless" machine, and they are not total idiots. The latter is much more difficult to find than the former.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Not everyone will tough them though. My local GoodYear place would not do them. I had to go to a custom wheel shop they referred me to.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    . The latter is much more difficult to find than the former.

Yea.....be careful. Make sure you explain they are a composite wheel. Talk slowly. If the machine is set up correctly, there wont be an issue.

Oh....and NICE car!

Hybrid booster

Great paint on that CSX.....very nice car.
    No fun cars any more :(

What name brand front turn signal lenses did these cars come factory with? Just curious, as I was looking at mine last weekend and, can't remember the name exactly, but it started with 'Gr'... Just want to make sure if they're correct or not. Take a look at yours if you can guys and LMK

turbo addict

Billy......Ill look next time im in the garage.

Heres another CSX question.......

I am in the process of putting the correct nose on my car this winter. I got the grill and the new Kaminari front bumper. The CSX grill is just an insert that bolts to the headlight support like on the Sundance (Shadow was one piece in 89). OK...question is coming soon.....I bought my car with the headlight support, but no grill insert. On the headlight support, there is a vertical bracket that runs up and down right in the middle of the grill opening. It appears to be painted black. Is this what they (Shelby) did to "hide" the support in the middle of grill opening (by painting it)? Or is the one I have not correct and there is a CSX specific headlight support that deletes that bracket ......and I am just missing it?

If you dont know what the heck I am talking about, LMK and I will take pics.

Take a pic, but out of memory, I know that my car has a beam-like piece of metal going straight up and down in the middle of the grille, but it's painted red. I don't think they'd have gone and tried hiding anything since they were just using that grille to get some ram air. I kinda like the metal piece in there, otherwise it'd be too perfect. Kinda reminds me of a Cuda, don't ask me why though haha

AND an additional question, what are you guys doing for mounting studs with these new Kaminari front ends??? They told me to put screws through the front of it?

Hybrid booster

Mine has the support in the middle as well, it's painted red though.

My lenses start with a SAE IP. Hope that helps
    No fun cars any more :(

turbo addict

Thanks guys. Looks like the black paint was a "custom" add on.

As for mounting the airdam, Billy, I have no freakin idea. I was wondering the same thing myself. I was wondering why they didnt mold the original nubs on the inside. The bumper cover that it attaches to has the holes....sure would be nice to use them. Two ideas I had were to epoxy and fiberglass the nubs on in the correct position, but this would be a HUGE PITA to line everything up and get them right. My other idea was just to use some panel adhesive and permanently bond the airdam to the bumper. I dont know though. What do you think?

Sean

What I'm thinking of doing, since my car will be down to the bare shell practically when I go to redo it, is to lay the air dam face down on the ground so that the sides of it that attach to the front of the fenders are up in the air. Then, lay the bumper cover itself face down into the air dam and trace the original circles that the nubs had gone through onto the new air dam. This will allow for an easy way to create the needed pattern on the back of the air dam.

After that though, just like you said, I have no clue what the best route will be to attach the needed nubs. Looking at the rear air dams that Johnny made, he had flat headed bolts molded into them that will slide through the holes and those who received these will just have to screw 10mm? nuts onto it once it's through the rear cover. I really don't understand why Kaminari didn't mold the nubs on though, that pisses me off for the amount of money we paid. I didn't notice they weren't on there though until I think quantum it was who brought the topic up. I haven't even unwrapped mine from the bubble wrap it came in.

Epoxy and fiberglass onto the same type of bolts may be the best bet though. I'll take a pic of the rear air dam from Johnny tomorrow maybe to show what I mean by the mounting studs he used.

Glad to see that this thread is being used how it is. Sure is nice to converse about this stuff with people who have a good knowledge of it and are going through the same thing.

turbo addict

I had a similiar idea for locating the nubs, but the attaching will be the hard part. I really dont want that thing to fall off!!!

There will be a lot of surface area on the bumper cover where the Kaminari air dam will be in close contact, or touching. If you lay down a lot of silicone on the bumper, and put the air dam on it, it will hold really well.

A while ago, I had a shadow where I attached an airdam and rear cover like that. I got rear-ended a few years later, and the rear valence did not get damaged, so I wanted to get it off. It was a PITA to get it removed, the silicone held like a son-of-a------.

As long as you don't plan on removing it later, you are fine. If anyone is in a state that requires front plates, those screws can hold up the middle part good too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    There will be a lot of surface area on the bumper cover where the Kaminari air dam will be in close contact, or touching. If you lay down a lot of silicone on the bumper, and put the air dam on it, it will hold really well.

A while ago, I had a shadow where I attached an airdam and rear cover like that. I got rear-ended a few years later, and the rear valence did not get damaged, so I wanted to get it off. It was a PITA to get it removed, the silicone held like a son-of-a------.

As long as you don't plan on removing it later, you are fine. If anyone is in a state that requires front plates, those screws can hold up the middle part good too.
    Silicone? as in RTV? Thats an interesting idea.

And I didnt think of that license plate thing.......NY SUCKS. That plate will RUIN the look of that new airdam!

Yeah, just those tubes you can get at the auto store. Trust me, it holds. The front air dam was on my old shadow for 8+ years before it was wrecked. It wasn't going anywhere.

As for the lack of nubs, they weren't making reproduction parts for CSX owners. They were selling kits to anybody with a shadow. If they had nubs on it, the majority of their buyers wouldn't be able to put it on since shadows did not have those holes. Nowadays, the only interest is from CSX owners, but back when these were really selling, it was different.

But screws in the wheel well, liscense plate screws up front, and silicone, you are set.

Sean, can you also snap a pic. of the vehicle sticker that is on the driver's door? I need to see if it's exactly like an 89 Shadow, for mine is gone.

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast