Thread: A/C cutout relay - code 33

Garrett booster

A/C cutout relay - code 33

Can a non-functioning A/C cutout relay affect performance?

My A/C is disconnected at the moment (at the compressor) because the low pressure switch was cycling the A/C constantly and I've only just recently gotten this code. I just want to make sure this won't affect WOT performance until I can replace the relay and get the A/C system functional again (or get it taken out completely).

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: A/C cutout relay - code 33

I believe its there so you get max power at WOT so yes, if the a/c stays on at WOT, its costing you power. Its really easy to tell if it works, just leave your a/c on and go for a WOT blast, if the a/c stays cold, then its not turning off, if it starts to get hot, then the relay works.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The code has no direct impact on performance, from an electronics point of views. Vehicles without A/C would set this code.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I believe its there so you get max power at WOT so yes, if the a/c stays on at WOT, its costing you power. Its really easy to tell if it works, just leave your a/c on and go for a WOT blast, if the a/c stays cold, then its not turning off, if it starts to get hot, then the relay works.
    He said the low pressure line is disconnected. Wait a minute, that means your compressor is cycling with no refrigerant, or even better, no mineral oil - drying out the compressor. I'd disconnect the belt real fast, unless you don't want your compressor.

Oh also your system is now being contaminated with a line hanging open like that.

Hybrid booster

You must be reading between the lines..

It clearly says he disconnected the compressor.

So to answer the question, no, your code 33 isn't affecting your performance in any way.

As for your original A/C problem, sounds like the system is low on charge.

Quote Originally Posted by lametec View Post
    You must be reading between the lines..

It clearly says he disconnected the compressor.

So to answer the question, no, your code 33 isn't affecting your performance in any way.

As for your original A/C problem, sounds like the system is low on charge.
    Hm, what I gathered was he "disconnected" "IT" (whatever it is) at the compressor. It could have been the circuit to the compressor or an AC line. If it's just the circuit line then no it wont affect performance as it will not kick on.

Garrett booster

Sorry, I should have clarified:

"My A/C is disconnected at the moment (at the compressor) because the low pressure switch was cycling the A/C constantly"

It's much easier to control flopping wires than A/C hoses, so I disconnected the wires. I think it wouldn't be very smart to disconnect an A/C hose/line and leave it open either. I said nothing about a low-pressure line being disconnected, in fact, I thought Bryan was making a joke...

lol no I thought that's what you really meant. Hard to know what people mean through the internet.