Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the VHT crinkle paint users.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Questions for the VHT crinkle paint users.

Painted mine last night, I was upset at first as the finish was smooth, but came in this morning and cool beans. Going to take them home tonight and bake them.

A few questions, any way to make them a bit lighter and can I clear coat them to lock in the finish. I think clear coating would also lighten them up a bit.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Re: Questions for the VHT crinkle paint users.

S,

I'm gonna go your route instead of powder coating mine. My neighbor (old school car guy) said a trick used when he didn't have an oven (because he ruined his wifes oven trying it the first time lol) was to get a metal or wood box, and cover the valve cover with the box. Then he'd use his heat gun and have it blow inside the box for a while. Not too sure this ghetto way works but that's what he told me. I think if you use grey wrinkle under the red, it'll lighten up a bit. Clear coating would really bring out the finish.

The instructions say you can use a heat gun but I figure clean valve covers won't mess up the wife's oven,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

It's the paint fumes that will ruin the food in the oven. The way that I've been able to go about doing it is to use the stove. When you're about to put the final coat of paint on the piece(and it has a nice clean paint free surface on the bottom) put an old cookie cooling rack over two of the burners and turn them on low, or just a notch or two above low. After you let the peice sit for 10 minutes or so and set up carry it in and place it on the cookie rack. The heat from the burners will heat the piece really nice. Do not be tempted to turn the heat up too much; the paint will simply blister and look like crap. I aimed for a surface temp of around 175-200* after it has been over the burner for 10-15 minutes.

Beware, you WILL have to air out the house. No doubt about it. Turn the vent fan on and open the windows. Normal drying doesn't smell but the heated drying will stink the place up.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

I have an electric heater that I hang over valve covers when I wrinkle paint them. I would think a kerosene heater would work just as well.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Why not just install the cover and let the heat of the engine do it?

turbo addict

Then you would have to sand the letters and fins in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Why not just install the cover and let the heat of the engine do it?
    They tell you it has to be baked on, I guess to cure it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    Then you would have to sand the letters and fins in the car.
    That too,

Garrett booster

Why not pick up an old oven from from goodwill, or that someone is throwing that and use it in the garage???

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

powder coated wrinkle finish is the way to go. Rattle cans suck. I have seen the VHT wirnkle and it's ok, but inconsistant. Mine looks OEM but cost me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    powder coated wrinkle finish is the way to go. Rattle cans suck. I have seen the VHT wirnkle and it's ok, but inconsistant. Mine looks OEM but cost me.
    Meh, it looks good enough for me,

turbo addict

I had horrible luck with the VHT paint. It did have a nicer color than the brand I ended up using, but the finish always turned out like crap. Let alone the fact the only dealer in town couldn't get any new stock; it was all old crap that would clog the nozzles immediately.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    I had horrible luck with the VHT paint. It did have a nicer color than the brand I ended up using, but the finish always turned out like crap. Let alone the fact the only dealer in town couldn't get any new stock; it was all old crap that would clog the nozzles immediately.
    Hmmmmm, I'll take photos of mine when I am done but for a first time use, I think mine turned out pretty damn good. I got the paint on fairly even and theres only a few spots where it kinda sagged. I had the clogged nozzles but used another nozzle off my primer and it worked great. Had to blow it out with my air nozzle once in awhile but so far, for $10 investment in paint, I am happy.

Wait until you see the oil cap I bought for it,

turbo addict

I had great luck with VHT brand wrinkle paint. You have to use it just like the directions tell you. I used Durakote last time and it looks terrible. The finish is uneven especially around contours in the valve cover.

When I used it, while I was painting it i started my gas grill. About half way through painting, I shut the grill off. When I was done I stuck the parts in there and left them overnight, the next morning they were done and evenly wrinkled, unlike not applying any heat.

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    When I used it, while I was painting it i started my gas grill. About half way through painting, I shut the grill off. When I was done I stuck the parts in there and left them overnight, the next morning they were done and evenly wrinkled, unlike not applying any heat.
    Hey, thats a great idea, nothing wrong with using a BBQ, and I have an old one kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Hey, thats a great idea, nothing wrong with using a BBQ, and I have an old one kicking around.
    + it is pretty even heat.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

The VHT applications I have seen in person were done by a very respected individual on these forums and done correctly. It looks ok, but nothing like the factory wrinkle coat as that's what I'm used to seeing in person (426 hemi covers and T-II covers) The VHT wrinkles were more concentrated in certain areas than others. If you're anal retentive, then the VHT isn't what you'd want, but for a large majority, I guess it's not bad then.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

i used VHT. I spraye 1 coat. let it tack up. sprayed the second and the used the heat gun went over it for about 20 mins;

-jeff

boostaholic

When powder coating, most have to be baked around 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. I just gout my spare oven at a garage sale for $10. Heatgun might work just becareful to not blow off the powder when baking it. And the say not to use gas ovens to bake them, because even though it is plastic beads it's still flamable in powder form.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast