Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid heim shifter

Hybrid heim shifter

EDITED 9/11/09
    EDITED 7/15/11
    EDIT: I've been running this setup for 4 years now and no problems.

There are more pictures here, http://minigts.com/car/shifter/ if you are interested to see some other shots. Most are of the connectors and what not.

I also timed myself on this tonight and it took about 1.5 hours to get all the pieces cut off and the new stuff installed. This doesn't count for making the rods, so I would add about another half hour. Also, this is my second set, so prep was quicker as well.

Well after much deliberating with myself (get your mind out of the gutter), I decided I would fore go (sp?) the 100% heim-joint shift kit and propose an alternative.

My decision was based on NUMEROUS times of going under the car to replace the starter, fix the oil return line from the turbo or do just about ANYTHING on the back side of the engine and working from the bottom. The idea of the heim-joint setup is rock solid for a shifter that will not disconnect unless of seriously degraded parts, but for me I needed something I could remove and put back without having to worry about wrenches and the lack of space to do anything with them. Therefore, I did some searching and found a thread identifying a company called Midwest Control(s). They offer all types of connectors and rods to create whatever you would like. So after ordering my parts and taking a chance on a specific connector, I was able to put together a full shift kit that replaces the former factory plastic and metal connecting rods and replaces them with quick release connectors.

Here are some pictures of the factory one that is notorious for disintegrating and another comparing it to the new one and the alignment of it.

Here are some pictures of the final parts used minus one of the shifter rods (mainly because I couldn't remember where I placed it before I took the picture) and a close up of one of the connectors.

http://www.minigts.com/car/shifter/all_pieces.jpg

http://www.minigts.com/car/shifter/connector.jpg

I will be the guinea pig for the rest of us should anyone want to try this setup vs. the traditional heim setup. My only concern is the connectors and the ball joints they connect to are all metal, therefore rubbing or wearing down could be an issue. EDIT: This has not been a problem for over 2 years now, still working fine.

Here are the parts I purchased to put together what I have. This was all ordered from Midwest Control

(1) 3/8-16 2" long bolt highest grade
    (1) 3/8-16 threaded nut (nylon ends)
    (4) SQI375 - Stainless steel quick disconnect (1000lb test rating) I assume this means it takes quite a bit of force or stress to break this unit. It comes with the connector and the ball end.
    (1) SSR312-8.00 RH/RH
    (1) SSR312-12.00 RH/RH
    (9) 3/8-24 threaded nuts (nylon ends) - (4) for the ball end studs, (4) for the connectors (2 x 2) and (1) for the spherical rod end
    (1) STM-6 Spherical rod end 3/8-24 thread
    (8) 5/16" washers You can use 3/8", but all the 3/8" items will fit through the 5/16" holes, unless I grabbed from the wrong bin. I chose the 5/16" because they were a tighter fit around the studs.

These aren't all the pieces, but it's the thought that counts. I forgot to get the extra 4 threaded nylon nuts at the store today.

Ok, let me explain this too. I would have suggested going with a 3/8-16 threaded ball end and threaded nuts, but the connectors only come in 3/8-24. After doing some research, a 3/8-16 was not found. Not saying this isn't made, but I searched 3 major suppliers and it wasn't even available. The 3/8-24 threaded nuts can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot or some local hardware store I'm sure. However, this is not the most common thread; 3/8-16 is in my area anyways. The other thing I would suggest is either using the spherical rod end mentioned above or trying to find one that is 3/8-16 thread, otherwise you are going to end up having to TAP the shift rod. It's not hard to do, but the end seems to be threaded 3/8-16 already, so why fight it? I had to rethread mine, but I would suggest going with what's already done to make it easier. If you have any questions, more than happy to answer.

My steps were to take the existing arm levers and remove the ball ends with a cut-off wheel, Dremmel or hack saw. Any of these will work fine.

I would use a pilot hole to get a good start with the 3/8" drill bit, otherwise you will have issues with centering the position of the balljoint. The good thing is, if you drill dead on center, it will pretty much just eliminate the original stuff and leave a perfect hole.

Next is to drill out the remaining bits of what's left of the ball ends on the levers. A 3/8" drill bit will do the trick and wollow it out a bit to give that added extra room. This should leave you with 3/8" holes on the two smaller shifter levers, one on the shifter lever connected to the transmission and one on the shift rod connected to the shifter. All of these parts are shown in the picture above.

From here, you take the ball ends that come with the connector pieces (SQI375) and two washers per ball end and simply secure them through the holes in the different levers and the rod.

One goes into the lever that connects to the transmission.
    One connects to the lever that has only one.
    One connects to the other lever that has two, but it goes on the curved arm.
    The last one goes on the shift rod that connects to the shifter in the car.

Make sure to put the ball ends on the CORRECT side. The picture above shows the ball end on the shift rod facing away from the shifter. It should FACE the shifter. So the picture is showing it backwards. I found this out before I got everything assembled. Believe me, it won't fit if you do it wrong, so you won't get too far.

The last thing I would do before I re-assemble everything is to spray some rust converter paint on the metal parts (some parts were scarred by the cutting, thereby exposing the bare metal; this should prevent rust in the future). I would also get some lithium grease or some type of grease that is very viscous and apply it in the socket of the connector where the ball end will go. Helps to keep moisture out and also gives it a little lubricant for the rubbing. BTW, I used STAINLESS STEEL parts, so this is just another added precaution.

As far as the rods go, this is a sort of a tough one. You will need to bend the rods to the correct shape. One is pretty easy, as you need only to bend it one time and that on the end. I eyed mine to fit. Not the best way, but it worked. However you do it, it is best to shape the rods AFTER you have the rods off the car. Measurements of both rods from center point connect to the other are as follows:

One bend rod - 10"
    Multi bend rod - 10.35" (converts to about 10 5/16")

With these rods and connectors you have a little room to play because they are 100% adjustable.

The OTHER shift rod is a different story. In all honestly, I just used the spare rod I purchased that was the SSR312-8.00. I didn't bend it or anything and it fit find and works fine. Not sure if the rod was for just the TI application or what, but there is absolutely NO clearance problem. IF you want to do it the right way, I have a thread already started on the dimensions:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...421#post193421

Please give credit to powermaxx for providing the shift rod dimensions!

Next step is to add a 3/8-24 nut onto the rod with the nylon side away from the connector. This gives a better seat once you tighten things up. Do this for each end of each rod, 4 times total. After each nut is on, connect the rod end connectors. Make sure you have the connectors set for the right direction. This means, make sure the hole or seat where the ball end will sit are aligned correctly. Again, trial by error, but best to do it right on the first try.

Next, re-assemble everything as it was. You can leave the shift rods on or disconnect and attach them after you have everything else secured, doesn't matter.

The last part is to make sure your shifter and settings are all aligned, i.e., the car is in neutral and the shifter is centered in the car. There are guide marks on the shifter underneath the car where it meets the shift rod. As long as your car is in neutral, when you center the marks the shifter should be square inside the car. Again, if you need clarity or help with this, just ask.

The total amount of everything was around $75? I can assure you the jobs that these other guys are doing are well worth $100 or better for the time it takes to do all this stuff. So don't feel like you are paying a lot for the work of the heim conversion because it is well worth it and these other guys doing it are doing GREAT WORK! It's not rocket science, but these other guys are being a little more scientific than I was and they build some quality stuff from what I've seen. I personally just wanted to see if I could do this and also wanted to do the quick disconnect thing.

Here are some before and after of the stuff. I'm still working on the shift rods, but the hardest part was cutting the original stuff off and installing the new pieces.

Information from Chad T regarding other parts that can be used. Sorry this took so long to get this added to this thread. Parts of the original have been removed to include the main details, however, Chad’s original post is still where it was, post #54.

From McMaster-Carr:

(4 )6058K34 Ball Joint Linkage Quick-Disconnect, 3/8"-24 Stud & Shank Thread Size $7.07/ea, Total $28.28

I had originally ordered 4 10mm joints from Midwest to see if they would fit. I was going to use them but I broke a piece of linkage off in one so decided to get the 1/2 inch ones from McMaster.

One of these is what I used for the one on the main shift rod. Worked out well because it already had the same thread as the shift rod. I just ordered a short piece of 10mm threaded rod from McMaster. I cut the factory ball stud off and used the one with the connector on this one.

Here are those 10mm quick disconnects.

(4) SQM10 Ball Joint, Quick Disconnect, Metric, Stainless USD $6.87/ea, Total USD $27.48
    Subtotal USD $27.48
    Shipping and Handling USD $14.00
    Total USD $41.48

Word to the wise. Don't bottom the rods out in the connectors!

Make sure you get everything you need form midwest on the first try as they really ding you on the shipping and handling.
    Last edited by minigts; 07-15-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Hybrid heim shifter

Let me know when your done and we can either make this an FAQ or put it into the fabrication section. Great job,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well I am done with the conversion, but if you want me to take some pics of the individual items or do some pics with the full assembly, I can do that. Got it put together last night kinda late and pictures were the least of my concerns! hehe If you feel anything is missing or necessary please let me know and I will add accordingly.

Thanks SIMON! Means a lot coming from you man! (seriously)

I'll re-read it just to make sure though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Nice work!!

Having just replaced my rods with factory replacements last night and looking at your pictures I have a question. The piece that is vertical from the primary shift rod (from the shifter to the mechanism) - mine is at 90 degrees from that rod, and I notice yours is at an angle - which is correct? (the part that has reinforcing metal welded on either side)

Quote Originally Posted by SL#189 View Post
    Nice work!!

Having just replaced my rods with factory replacements last night and looking at your pictures I have a question. The piece that is vertical from the primary shift rod (from the shifter to the mechanism) - mine is at 90 degrees from that rod, and I notice yours is at an angle - which is correct?
    I would say YOURS! lol That was a problem I had with the clearance on mine initially to the oil return. I could probably bend mine a bit to make it a little more 90 degree vertical and should. I didn't have issues with 2nd or 4th when shifting so it's probably fine on clearance. Maybe mine was made before yours or something and they saw the clearance problem and redesigned it?? I would say with the angle mine has it let's the rod be a little more parallel to the firewall, but maybe that's just how I see things as I look down on it

I can tell you that is main cause of the rubber/plastic connectors failing, so much heat from the exhaust and turbo area and they get brittle and wear out. I should move mine back just to reduce wear. Thanks for the note!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice solution. Anything that allows quick access, especially in an L body is a plus.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

This has been updated and more pictures added.

Hybrid booster

I just finished mine this week! As soon as I get some picts ill post it up. Just two things I did different. One I used the stock shift rods. There was plenty of rod to thread on both and it worked out fine. Two I used a 10mm rod end on the long shift rod. It just threaded right in. One thing I would like to try is I saw Midwest controls has 10mm quick disconnects! From my measurements that's the size of the stock ball. So my theory is it would fit over the stock ball without having to cut it off and replace. Anyway thanks for the inspiration!

Cool deal about the fittings. If you get some pictures of that, please post them here, if you like.

And that is one reason I didn't try to size up the factory ball with what they had. I wanted something I knew would fit, but a sample wouldn't be a bad idea just to see how well it would fit.

What is the part number on the 10mm one, btw?

Hybrid booster

Http://www.midwestcontrol.com/buy.php?item=153

I think this is the one I would try. My local ace hardware has metric dies too. I would be willing to try it out but I already did mine in 3/8-24. Someone want to be the test subject?

Is the ball the same size though? The ones I got for the 3/8" are significantly bigger. That would be my only concern.

Hybrid booster

On the 3/8 quick disconnects I got from mcmaster carr the ball was smaller than the stock ball on my linkage. 3/8 converts to 9.5mm so I figured the stock balls were close to 10mm. I would like to try it and see if it would work, but I have mine done already.

I thought the measurements were related to thread and the pitch. Well, either way, it would be good to know and even better if it just fit without changing them out. If I start taking orders, I may order one set or maybe just one.

Thanks for the help and being my tech line when I needed it Jon ... One more part to drill then time to install on my S woot woot woot

Man, glad to hear things are going to work out with the rods. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

turbo addict

I read through this, I am impressed with what you did.

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Thanks Johnny. I piggy backed off the original idea, but for the L bodies, it is a must. I'm currently working on a rod shift kit for a 568, but not sure how that's going to work with the extra lever to operate. I'm creative though so maybe I can come up with something.

turbo addict

So once you have it perfected, are you going to do conversions for others? I have calls for this and have no time do do it. Side biz for you?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Well it would help to have an extra set to really get going at it, but I would take any business. I would LOVE to have two extra sets lying around so I could just have people send me their core pieces and just ship them a completed set already done.

If you have anyone in need though, I will be more than happy to help in any way I can or even do the work for them. Financially I'll be very fair.

turbo addict

Or have them send theirs to you and convert them and send them back.
    Also, to get your cores, offer a discount or trade, to get a set from someone that wants the conversion. I had mine done years ago, it is GREAT. Better than cable shifting.

Johnny

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast