Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Remove Illuminated Vanity Mirror From Sun Visor

Hybrid booster

Re: How To Remove Illuminated Vanity Mirror From Sun Visor

Two days and no posts??

No one is brave enough to just go for it and see what happens?

Steve

I would tear one of the maroon ones apart, but they're too nice considering I'd kick myself if something were to happen to one of Pat's (in his Daytona) or this gray set I picked up, such as the mirrors cracking or something, then I'd have no replacement!

Next time I'm at the junkyard though I will tear one or two apart.

boostaholic

Thats funny...i just redid my headliner and the visors in my 89 daytona t-tops. Everything is glued together...though, the t-tops visors are different then the hard top shelbys....i had gotten one from a friend that had a 89 hard top....cause mine were just falling apart...i modifyed it to fit....well...one visor was parially glued together while the other was tottally glued together..i just broke the glue joints..the whole peice is preatty rigid...i pryed preatty hard and it was fine.....and then came the flip up mirror crap....yea, that little trim peice is glued on there..i had trouble with one side of not coming apart...while the other one popped off like nothin..i put my fabric on it with glue ofcoarse, then i got a tube of superglue and glued it back on, i used about 8 of those small pinchers, then let it dry. did the same with the visors. it looks like its from the factory...i'll try and get some pics!

Tom

boostaholic

turbo addict

89Shelbyguy, those look pretty good. Did it crack at all and you said you "pryed" on the mirror flap and it just "popped" off? It sure seems like it will crack... How much glue is in there really, Is there anything else we should "note"?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

89shelbyguy, do you have 'progress' pics. when you redid those? They look fantastic!

boostaholic

accually i don't have progress pics....sorry...i do have a spare visor...maybe i'll do another one, i have pleaty of fabric left.

as for the cracking, none of mine really cracked..i did have one spot where the handle is, which gave me problems, but i just took a knife and sliced it....as for how much glue is on there, about a 1/16" all the way around. just be careful, i kinda knew the limit...if it was not poppin off like i wanted it to, i put forth a new approach, takin a knife to it.

Thanks for the comments!

Tom

If you still want people to test ideas, I'll look for my spare visors.

My idea is to use the oven. I think the glue will soften before the plastic melts.

I know some people on the 300M boards have put headlights in the oven to release the lens from the housing. If you want, I'll give it a shot.

But, it looks like prying may work anyway. Keep us posted.
    Ean Orsel - 1987 Chrysler LeBaron coupe (The Blue Baron) 1987 Chrysler LeBaron coupe (The Silver Cloud) 2002 Chrysler Neon LX (Lex) "It has the turning circle of the moon." -Jeremy Clarkson

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the info 89Shelby Guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12