Thread: Shake in pass. side wheel

Garrett booster

Shake in pass. side wheel

I was going about 70 on a back deserted road. Lined by trees on both sides nobody is ever on the road. It is about 1/4mi long and I was bored so I decided to get he up to speed. The road isn't very smooth at all. Not many pot holes just uneven. So I was cruising at 70mph and then slowed down to stop. When I came to a stop then turned right and accelerated I noticed a shake in the passenger side of my car. It only happens when I am under load in 2nd and 3rd gear. When you let off the gas the jiggle goes away. Feels like the tire is like out of round or something. I jacked it up and couldn't find anything loose or worn. Rotated the tires thinking maybe I knocked a weight off or something. Nothing. I guess I will just beat on it and figure out what it is when it breaks. It seems to be coming from the right front tire. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? The CV on that side is fairly new.

turbo addict

Re: Shake in pass. side wheel

Jack it, block it and then haul and lever at the control arm that side to check for play in the bushing, might be going toe out under power that side and scrubbing/skipping. Oh and check K frame for cracks if the bushings seem tight, and ball joint, and tie rod ends. (BJ and tie rod ends should give you issues at other times, but mebbe if they're just a bit marginal and the tire is just a hair off balance....)

Garrett booster

Check the above things, but the way it sounds it may possibly be the CV joint (yea, even if its a reman =p). A bad inner CV joint will create a "wobble" in the front end on acceleration, but will not be present under off throttle/cruise conditions. You've rotated the tires which kinda rules a bad tire/rim out.

Garrett booster

I have checked the Tie rod ends and ball joint and non seem to be worn out nor broken. I am leaning twards a bad CV because it only happens under acceleration. My friends car did the same thing when his cv's were bad. The CV does not seem to have damage to it. What is the best way to see if the cv is bad?

turbo addict

Well the outers should grumble when you circle on full lock, dunno about the inners. Maybe try jacking and blocking it up securely at the front, wedging the suspension down as far as it goes, and seeing if it makes any more noise when you run it like that.

Garrett booster

Honestly, I've never been able to physically see if the inner joints are bad... I remember most that I've done haven't even had the boot torn open. That being said, are you sure its really the pass side? Without it being obvious it could be either joint.

Garrett booster

yeah you definitely feel it from the pass. side. I am also thinking it is cv's now because when you turn to the right it get worse. I am leaning towards the inner because it doesn't make any sound when you turn.