Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 block is broken, will i be alright?

boostaholic

2.4 block is broken, will i be alright?

i just picked about a 2.4 to start my swap, i just scored an 04 long block for $130. Im guessing that it cant have more than 20-30k on it, the guages were already gone out of the car. i didnt want to pass on this, because i have read that the 00+ have better flowing heads than pre 00.

the bad:
    the car was hit super hard on the pass side. it was hit so hard that the tranny was pretty much desinigrated and all the motor mounts were broken, the engine was just sitting inthe engine bay. after i got it pulled i realized that both lower ears were broken off the block, where it bolts to the tranny. I have both ears. there is no indication, nor do i believe that the block isnt good. all the aluminum pieces absorbed the impact, there was really nothing to smash the block against to break it any further than it is.

i want to do a turbo auto setup, my ultimate goal is 500hp. i know i can have this proffessionally welded but is it going to hold under such conditions?
    -kaleb

turbo addict

Re: 2.4 block is broken, will i be alright?

I would check the bottom end because the one ear is the on the bedplate and could have tweaked that in relationship to the block if its was bad enough to break/destroy the trans.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I wouldn't risk using it. These blocks are relatively easy to come by.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I wouldn't risk using it. These blocks are relatively easy to come by.

yeah, but 00+ blocks are NOT plentiful around here, and i dont want to have to switch to an older block and deal with the issues. if it is just a matter of welding ears on, that is not problem. i am wandering if the cast block will crack or if it will hold over time.

turbo addict

At those hp levels, I know I would be very concerned. I think that is what Mike is saying too since it's a point of structural mount....
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The car was hit on the pass side and the trans was disentigrated?? That means almost all the force needed to turn a trans to pulp was sent through the block. There is a chance the block is fine but don't trust a visual inspection. I would at least get it magged. Even though it's not fool proof it's something. If you decide it is OK then be sure to stress relieve the welds that are made to reatatch the trans mounts or you may just break them off again. Also be careful to keep the repair flat. I would be tempted to machine that end once you get things welded up or you will be putting stress into the tranny when you bolt it up. I'm with the others in finding a new block but I can see if they are hard to come by. My .02

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    yeah, but 00+ blocks are NOT plentiful around here, and i dont want to have to switch to an older block and deal with the issues. if it is just a matter of welding ears on, that is not problem. i am wandering if the cast block will crack or if it will hold over time.
    I'm not aware of any big changes in the 2000 model year that would make earlier blocks undesirable.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

The better flowing head problem can be solved by sending your head to www.indyheads.com

boostaholic

i am wandering what kind of #'s their port work does

315 CFM, but that is at some unrealistic amount of lift. The numbers are on their site.

turbo addict

if some of the bolt hole is intact, so there is some material that the washer will bite other than the welded repair points, i'd use it, but if it took off the whole tab, i'm not sure i'd trust it to hold, welding cast is a pain...

We're not talking about a high dollar aluminum race block here. It's not worth fixing. And even if it were worth the try, the likelihood of it cracking again is high.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

do you want to buy him a block? i don't know about anywhere else, but they aren't so easy to come by here...if i could get one for 130$ i'd jump...

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    do you want to buy him a block? i don't know about anywhere else, but they aren't so easy to come by here...if i could get one for 130$ i'd jump...
    No I don't want to buy him a block. I know many of us are on tight budgets, but you have to think outside of what you're spending this week and think about what you are going to be spending next month.

My math may be off, but I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to build one engine than it is to build two.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

boostaholic

obviously this isnt going to be a weld up the crack solution. I have been talking with a certified welder, he doesnt think it is going to be a problem. probly have to grind most of the metal away, and then weld from the inside and build up the weld until its flush. i think that it will work

Go for it!!! I say........... if it breaks, let us know.

boostaholic

ok, there is no reason, that if done right, that it wont work. I was reading up, and they used to weld up early race hemi's that did 200 pmh+ down the quarter, and they were holding. If it breaks, i will let everyone know, and face the guantlet of "I told ya so's"

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

They aren't saying that welding the ears back on isn't going to work. Mainly they are worried that more damage was sustained that you can't see.

Honestly I hope it works and the motor is fine for years. But I would be more cautious and go with a diff block.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

boostaholic

magnafluxing is also something I will have done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast