Thread: new lifters

Hybrid booster

new lifters

ok, i think i need new lifters... but i have some questions to ask before i make a decision...

my upper end is noisy. and sometimes i can hear when a lifter isnt pumping up and it raps a little... it goes away after a few minutes...

now, my question is, by going to new lifters, is there any noticible performance gain? if they arent pumping up all the way they arent opening the valves fully correct?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: new lifters

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    now, my question is, by going to new lifters, is there any noticible performance gain? if they arent pumping up all the way they arent opening the valves fully correct?
    Your theory is correct, however don't expect a night and day difference once they are swapped. My old R/T had about 4 or 5 bad lifters, changing them got rid of the diesel sound, but I didn't notice any change in the seat of the pants feel.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

dave, what are you running for mods? if your running a higher boost than the valves not opening fully should make a different right?

Hybrid booster

since we are talking about 16v's and lifters. Does anyone know if "PT" lifters will drop into a 97 SOHC neon motor?

Ron

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    dave, what are you running for mods? if your running a higher boost than the valves not opening fully should make a different right?

That was on a stock car, which I sold a while ago. All 4 of my current R/T's are also stock (and broken). I would replace the bad lifter for the sake of saving the camshaft and making it quiet rather than expecting it to result in a noticeable increase in hp. I don't think the amount of boost you are running would make much of a difference one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    since we are talking about 16v's and lifters. Does anyone know if "PT" lifters will drop into a 97 SOHC neon motor?

Ron
    I think the SOHC uses the lifters in the tip of the rocker arm like an R/T where the DOHC and PT lifters are more conventional. It's been a while, but I do have a sohc head sitting in the barn I could look at.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    I think the SOHC uses the lifters in the tip of the rocker arm like an R/T where the DOHC and PT lifters are more conventional. It's been a while, but I do have a sohc head sitting in the barn I could look at.
    correct, the lifters on the SOHC heads are part of the rockers, I'm not even sure if they are servicable serperately, i remember replacing some a while back when I worked at a dodge dealer and they came as an assembly.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTech View Post
    correct, the lifters on the SOHC heads are part of the rockers, I'm not even sure if they are servicable serperately, i remember replacing some a while back when I worked at a dodge dealer and they came as an assembly.

Yep, I just did a head gasket on one and there stuck in the rocker arm, I couldn't remove it. Too bad, there close in size to the RT if memory serves.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info