Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to do a head swap and can't get oil and coolant lines off

Garrett booster

Trying to do a head swap and can't get oil and coolant lines off

This is all being done on my 89 Caravan Turbo and I've been following the "replacing the headgasket" instructions found here and I've had no problems up untill I get to the removing the oil and coolant lines from around the water box (thermostat housing) on the head. I FOR THE LIFE OF ME can not get those lines off. I'm swaping my crappy old head for a brand spanking new one so I'm gunna need to get those lines and everything off the water box and I'm not sure how? I'm not sure how the oil supply and return lines are for the turbo but I'm gunna need to get em off somehow and it looked the easiest removing that one line from under the water box but suprise suprise I can't get that off either. I've tried spraying them with PB Blaster with no luck. HELP HELP HELP! Does anyone have any tricks to getting these oil and coolant lines off? This is my only vehicle and it looks like I might be having to hitch a ride just to get to work by the way things are going now.

Re: Trying to do a head swap and can't get oil and coolant lines off

For the water use a torch and then spray the PB. It gets sucked in. They have 15? years of corrosion on them. Just keep repeating the process.
    The oil line should come with the ? wrench for flare fittings. (senior moment and can't think of the name.) Hook another wrench on the end for extra torque. Once it breaks loose work it back and forth till the fitting is loose on the line or you will twist the line.

Hybrid booster

I will say 9 chances out of 10 there is no possible way to get the oil line off w/o ruining it. I say order stainless still lines from TU or FWD and it will be so much easier. Plus they will compliment that brand new head.....

boostaholic

In a pinch, cut the oil line in the middle somewhere. when its time to reinstall, get a section of brake line (forget the size. 5/16 maybe?) and some compression fittings to splice the oil feed back together.

Much easier than messing with that stupid fitting. If you want to just replace the line, break it off and take the hex off the block and mess with it on a bench.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iangoroudn View Post
    In a pinch, cut the oil line in the middle somewhere. when its time to reinstall, get a section of brake line (forget the size. 5/16 maybe?) and some compression fittings to splice the oil feed back together.
    Talk about back yardin it. Screw the compression fitting just zip tie it.

J/K

turbo addict

Nothin wrong with compression fittings.

boostaholic

Nah, the plastic zip ties are made of degrades when exposed to gas and oil.

But seriously, nothing wrong with compression fittings. Yeah they look a little ghetto, but they work when don't have the time or ability to bend a whole new oil feed line or order stainless braid replacement. Do it right and they won't leak and will last forever.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post

Yeh I was just kidding... but If you do it that way just watch the metal shavings....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post
    Not on the origional stock oil feed line though. I doubt that would seal very well if at all without some major complications.

Garrett booster

Alright guys that PB Blaster sitting on it all night must have done something because this morning I went out there to tackel those lines again and it ended up breaking loose. I basically destroyed the heads of the fittings with my vise grips so now I'm ordering the stainless steal lines and taking care of the problem once and for all. Hopefully everything will go okay putting them back on.

That's why they are called VICE grips.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by QC DSM ESiT View Post
    now I'm ordering the stainless steal lines and taking care of the problem once and for all. Hopefully everything will go okay putting them back on.

Good Choice...Let us know how it goes back to together. BTW DO NOT tighten the oil line down to much. That should go without saying but Im a idiot and I tightened my down to much and the swivel nut cracked right off. It didnt even feel like I was tightening that much so be careful..

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Use heat on the fittings. I used a plain old map gas torch like you get at the hardware stores. A coleman small tank and the nozzle and hold it there for 3 minutes and it will come off.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

If they're original lines, I'd agree with just cutting them or breaking them off. Replace them with some braided stainless Turbos Unleashed lines. They're cheaper than replacing stock lines and much much better than re-using cruddy old originals. There's no telling how much junk is built up in factory lines. I'd just toss em and throw the good stuff in. Also saves you ALOT of headache when it's possible you'll end up twisting or breaking them anyways.

Good choice
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    The oil line should come with the ? wrench for flare fittings. (senior moment and can't think of the name.)....
    A 6 pt boxed wrench is the ONLY way to remove line fittings in my opinion. These are worth their weight in gold...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    A 6 pt boxed wrench is the ONLY way to remove line fittings in my opinion. These are worth their weight in gold...

Yes, but with HEAT if original. Otherwise, you take a big chance on snapping some off (been there...done that) since they are just brass.

Then, use new SS lines from TU or another vendor like the poster said. No sense re-using original 20 year old lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Garrett booster

Yup definitly looking forward to the new stainless steel lines. I'll take a picture for you guys tomorrow of the #2 and #3 cylinder that have a nice pool of coolant on them from the blown head gasket. Hopefully everything goes togeather smoothly this weekend when I'm putting the head back on.

Hybrid booster

goodluck!!

For stock lines and even for the "stainless" lines (the fittings are NOT stainless, FYI), you can prevent corrosion from seizing the flare nuts to the tubes by slipping the nut back and applying some antiseize or silicone grease to the tube.

For the originals, I've been able to remove them using penetrating oil. The only exception is the fitting on the back of the block somtimes. For this one, I cut the hose crimp with tin snips and remove the hose from the short tube. Then you can fit a socket over the whole nut and get it off without mangling it. Use a regular hose clamp when reassembling.

Garrett booster

Yeah I think I'm put some antiseize on the tubes before I put them back on. BTW is it bad that I ripped the crap out of the heatshield over the starter? Should I try and get a new heat shield or will it not really make that much of a differance?

Here are some pictures I took just of basically my half way point. Note the coolant on top of the #3 piston. I have another brand new head in a box was too lazy to get it out of the box to take photos of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast