Thread: If not Diesel, how about Propane?

Garrett booster

If not Diesel, how about Propane?

Can we make a 2.2/2.5 run fast on Propane?

Hybrid booster

Re: If not Diesel, how about Propane?

Propane's great, I know a lot of farmers who run it. They start 'em on gas & when they're warmed up they switch over. To take full advantage of it, you have to raise the compression though. And finding a propane setup & adapting it might be pain.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Yes, propane would work BUT you need room for the tanks, as your mileage suffers, so you need to carry more fuel.
    You can raise the compression ratio and probably run more boost,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Compressed natural gas has been run too. There was a guy running en experimental setup like that in a funny car. I don't remember where I read it though, but it was a complete write-up with pictures and all in a magazine. I like propane because it runs so clean. I think the oil in our forklift at work gets changed once a year or something( I don't recommend this), but it does stay fairly clean. Good alternative and here in the midwest there a quite a few places that do this. I would use a setup that could run multiple tanks like that of a gas grill so you can switch off when you need to. Using digital scales for each to make sure you don't run out for fuel level. Neat concept for sure.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

something about having a pressurized gas cylinder in my car bothers me.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yes, propane would work BUT you need room for the tanks, as your mileage suffers, so you need to carry more fuel.
    You can raise the compression ratio and probably run more boost,
    last I checked propane was almost 1/4 the cost of gas, so you still come out way ahead even though you get less mileage. It has been a while though.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Yeah but factor in the coversion cost and

Propane in my area is 69 cents a litre, gas is 99 cents, not worth it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yeah but factor in the coversion cost and

Propane in my area is 69 cents a litre, gas is 99 cents, not worth it.
    yeah that is not worth it at all. When my dad did it he used parts that he had "lying around". He is just that kind of guy. When he told me about it, I literally asked what have you been up to lately, "oh I had the last two days off so I went ahead and stroked the truck and converted it to propane".

Garrett booster

I had an 85 2.2 Reliant on propane, I bought it that way and it ran like a dream. Lots of pep and cheap to run. The only reason I let it go was because the transmission blew.

Is propane a gas or liquid when used in cars? If it's a gas, how would it work with the stock fuel system?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    something about having a pressurized gas cylinder in my car bothers me.
    Exactly...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

So aside from the obvious cost difference and the worry of a compressed flammable gas in your car, would the mileage per gallon be better? If so, could that offset the overall cost? (I'm positive mileage would be less if you had to build a "blast containment" system to ease worries of explosive gasses). How different is it than half a tank of gas or Nitrous? LPG is Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by SL#189 View Post
    How different is it than half a tank of gas or Nitrous? LPG is Liquefied Petroleum Gas.
    Having seen some of the setups that people have cobbled up make me wonder why they all the sudden get so safety consious. I agree that once you have a tank of gas or a bottle of nitrus in the car why not propane. it would be a 1:1,000,000 shot any way you slice it.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    Is propane a gas or liquid when used in cars? If it's a gas, how would it work with the stock fuel system?
    It remains a liquid under pressure. Go here for the good stuff. I've been looking at this for Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Having seen some of the setups that people have cobbled up make me wonder why they all the sudden get so safety consious. I agree that once you have a tank of gas or a bottle of nitrus in the car why not propane. it would be a 1:1,000,000 shot any way you slice it.
    Exactly.. heck a 1/4 tank of regular fuel is probably more dangerous than a propane tank.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It remains a liquid under pressure. Go here for the good stuff. I've been looking at this for Omni.

Exactly.. heck a 1/4 tank of regular fuel is probably more dangerous than a propane tank.
    Definitely interesting kits there - I'm curious what it would take to be a pure LPG rig - I noticed the gasoline is only used to warm up the cylinders. Block heater? Intake air heater? Glow plugs?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by SL#189 View Post
    Definitely interesting kits there - I'm curious what it would take to be a pure LPG rig - I noticed the gasoline is only used to warm up the cylinders. Block heater? Intake air heater? Glow plugs?
    All the ones I ever messed with also circulated coolant water through the vaporizer part to keep the propane from turning back into a liquid.