Thread: Putting 2.2 in a 2.5 TBI

Hybrid booster

Putting 2.2 in a 2.5 TBI

The 2.5 TBI engine in my DD 92 spirit is going south. I am going to the pick-your-parts j/y this weekend and was thinking about picking up a 2.2 TBI engine to replace the 2.5 for better fuel economy. I'll probably do some head work to it to get the power back from the displacement loss and help further increase fuel economy.

Any opinions on this?? I think only the shadows/sundances in 92 had the 2.2 TBI engines, right? Would there be any extra work or anything I need to look out for in doing this?

and I'm not going turbo...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Putting 2.2 in a 2.5 TBI

Well it bolts right up, uses the same sensors but due to the 2.5 cal, it will be rich on the 2.2, so I doubt you'll get better MPG. I also don't believe that the 2.2/2.5 TBI's are any different in MPG due to the different power delivery aspects. The only way I guess to reduce fuel is with a custom cal, find a 2.2 computer???????, or trick the map into running leaner.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Yeah, I suppose the 2.5 will have more torque so I won't have to go as many revs to get moving. The only thing I would believe the 2.2 would be better is on the highway when the automatic is spinning the motor pretty high. I like to cruise around 80, so the 2.5 is up there.

Maybe I'll just re-ring and rod bearing the engine thats in the car and do the head work while it's off. Better idea?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If thats all it needs, I would just do a rering and bearings.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info