Thread: Quick info needed

Quick info needed

Anybody know what thread the swingvalve bolts are? I need to drill and tap a few out, they look like M8 1.25 but want to make sure they are standard or something and F*ck up my turbine housing completely. Thanks

Re: Quick info needed

Nobody knows.......cool.

Garrett booster

Probably figured it out by now, but I'm darn sure they are M8x1.25 as you said. I've done several before. Heck, if your drilling them out you can tap them to whatever the hell you want!

Yes I did, M8 1.25 it is.
    Well I know, but I wanted to use stock swingvalve bolts again.

Now the problem is while backing out the tap on the second hole the tap SNAPPED off inside the hole. Now I cannot get the damn thing out because it snapped off down in a little bit. Tried drilling it out, killed my bit because the tap is so hard. I have no idea how it snapped, and it was backing it back out after I was all done so I am clueless. It was under no pressure that I was aware of.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Find some titanium/cobalt drill bits and be prepared to waste a few.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thanks

turbo addict

use plenty of oil to lubricate as well... I would recommend that you use a drill press as well if available. this will prevent "wandering" because the housing will "chew up" quickly with titanium bits.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

When tapping holes don't just run the tap all the way and then pull it out, when I do it I usually go about 1 full turn, and back maybe a half - you'll feel the tap catch a bit, but your cleaning the burrs off the metal. Then forward and back a bit, over and over... I haven't broke a tap before, but I'm sure they are hardened just like an ez-out would be, which means, have fun drilling it out...

Mike, I did that. I always back out after 1 turn, I actually take it back a full turn. And yeah it does ''catch'' at about 1/2 way on the turn back.
    It said to do that in the instructions and like everywhere it said to do that LOL. I also used some oil on the tap also not dry. I did everything right, not sure why the stupid thing broke.

turbo addict

what brand was it again?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Craftsman....

turbo addict

Craftsman is good for general tools, but drill bits, precision measuring tools, and anything that has to stay sharp.. Craftsman sucks. I have found the best products are companies that specialize in only that particular tool or part(i.e ARP, Oliver, Crower, Paxton, etc). Those that are known for a specific item of production has quality that is "usually" top notch! Don't "cheap out" on the tap sets, drill bits, micromters and torque wrenchs. Sockets, wrenches, etc, yes, it's nicer to have quality, but it isn't detrimental!

I was gonna order a snap-on, but I needed a set quick. It tapped the first hole really nice. Plus before I started the turbine housing bolts I drilled and tapped an 8v exhaust manifold in the T3 flange using the M10 1.5 tap from the craftsman set, worked great.