Thread: g-body bumper support weight

g-body bumper support weight

Does anyone have any idea as to what the rear inner bumper support and bumper shocks weigh on a daytona (1990)? It seems that a fairly lightweight aluminum support could be put together so that the bumper cover would remain stable. Just wondering if anyone has done this before I go and remove the bumper assembly only to find out it only weighs 15 lbs.

Re: g-body bumper support weight

couldn't wait for a reply. 31 lbs for the inner bumper and shocks.

Mitsu booster

Sweet, that's 31lb's less that'll go back into my tona

turbo addict

the support in my shadow is like 3lbs but its kind of rusty.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

It may be easy to simply take the bumper out then take a hole saw and make swiss cheese out of it. Then reinstall it. This way the original shape will be retained and can provide support for the front plastic.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
    It may be easy to simply take the bumper out then take a hole saw and make swiss cheese out of it. Then reinstall it. This way the original shape will be retained and can provide support for the front plastic.
    You can completely remove it if you wish...I did on my last car to make room for the intercooler.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
    He said rear bumper Although the front's probably about the same weight too. Holesaw doesn't care which end either

Hybrid booster

I meant to say rear bumper but I was thinking of the front.

I thought of doing that to my car but I may want to install a trailer hitch at some point and also would be concerned of integrity of the car if I wreck. Then again I drive a motorcycle so I should not care about safety LOL!

The 'shocks' for the bumper are 1/3 of the total weight (10 lbs). If all you do is swiss cheese the bumper support you may loose 10 lbs.