Thread: smoke smell

Hybrid booster

smoke smell

i just bought an 89 shadow, and the guy who used to own it smoked in it, so it smells horrible. i vaccumed it all out, took the seats out and everything, put an air freshener in it. what can i do to get rid of it? febreeze?

turbo addict

Re: smoke smell

good luck. I changed my headliner, washed the carpet and all the interior. There was ash everywhere. Even took apart the dash and found ash there. It still smells but it's not near as bad as it was. You pretty much have to replace the whole interior to get it to go away as far as I can tell.

Garrett booster

My Shadow convertible had a really nasty interior from sitting for a couple years with both windows cracked. I bought a Bissel Little green machine and went to town. After going over the interior with it twice, using one bottle of febreeze and some deodorizer it smells fine. You may want to try burning some incense in the car with all the windows rolled up. As well, clean all the glass super well because the tar from the cigarette's sticks to the windows and that gives off a foul odor.

turbo addict

yep tar everywhere, there was 2-3" of ash over everything, the lady never cleaned the car and didn't use the ashtray or roll down the windows. Amazingly other than the smell and tar on the metal and windows the interior is in amazingly good shape, no ciggy burns on the interior at all.

start smoking?

Hybrid booster

i hate the smell, its ruuuude, i think it melts the glue on the headliners cause its drooping like crazy

Hybrid booster

My old 85 Lebaron GTS had a previous smoker before I got it. I took the interior out of it and used the carpet shampoo'er on it with lots of water and soap. After I put it back in I could still faintly smell smoke so I bought some aersol smoke eater stuff at WalMart that did the trick.. it was in a brown can with the scented stuff.. sorry can't remember the name of it.

Hybrid booster

http://www.nokout.com/auto_truck_odors.html

Something like that might work. There's a bunch of odor eating products like that. The only thing is they're all marketed more or less as some kind of miracle product and we all know how that is. Worth a shot if nothing else is effective.

Hybrid booster

I know this sounds weird, but i once heard a story about taking some fresh ground coffee, and putting it in a sauté pan. Heat it up slowly until it just starts to smoke, and then dump the hot coffee grinds in a damp towel and put it in the car for 24 hours. Cant hurt, and coffee smells better than smoke!

take incense (5 or 6 sticks) and hot box them in your car. doesnt work if you dont like incense

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firebaron90 View Post
    I know this sounds weird, but i once heard a story about taking some fresh ground coffee, and putting it in a sauté pan. Heat it up slowly until it just starts to smoke, and then dump the hot coffee grinds in a damp towel and put it in the car for 24 hours. Cant hurt, and coffee smells better than smoke!
    Actually, Joe heard that story from ME, and SCREWED it up LOL!!

I heard the story awhile back, maybe from SDML. Basically, you take coffee BEANS, not ground, but actual BEANS. You pour them in a pan, and heat them up until they just start to roast (low flame of course). Then, you take a towel and fold it over, and lay the PAN with hot coffe BEANS, on the towel (so as not to burn anything in the car), leave the windows up, and wait 24 hours. The coffee will absorb the odors like a sponge.

Good luck!!
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

turbo addict

what's the car smell like after you're done? Coffee?

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    what's the car smell like after you're done? Coffee?
    From what I recall reading, nothing really. Maybe a faint smell of coffee, but, the heated beans actually absorb the odors, so my guess is one cancels the other out? Kinda like those "paint odor sponges" you get at the paint store.
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Hybrid booster

Dave, if you grind the beans, you actually have more surface area, so I don't think i am wrong about this. More surface area to absorb the odor.

boostaholic

get 2 boxes of arm and hammer baking soda. sprinkle one box in the can and let it sit for about 3 days. do it again then let the 3 box just sit in there to help stop new funk

Mitsu booster

maybe on a nice windy day open all the doors and trunk for a few hours....

turbo addict

Meh... go to an exterminator and have them "bomb that beetch." That'll fix the smell and it'll ward off those nasty "money-grubbing ho's" out of your car too....
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

I had an aweful smoke smell in my convert from the previous owner who smoked like a chimney. First thing I did was change the top (old and ripped) and the headliner came out with the old top (so new headliner) then i took out the seats and carpet and went through the whole car and thoroughly scrubbed everything with ammonia and water (1/16th of ammonia to a full bottle of water). That mix will get anything off you need it to. Then I went over the seats with leather cleaner(leather seats). I sprayed and scrubbed the carpet cause it was dirty as hell with carpet cleaner then febreezed everythin in the car. Now my car just smells like febreeze

boostaholic

first replace the headliner, then maybe try something like this:http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...fresheners.htm
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..