Thread: Blackened spark plugs -- running rich? Why?

Question Blackened spark plugs -- running rich? Why?

So since swapping in a fresh motor back in March, my Daytona has been running like a dream compared to the previous turbo motors (a beat one from previous owner, and a dud I installed last year that didn't last long).

I go to leave the house tonight and get to the end of my driveway and the car just bogs out and the motor shuts down. Try to start it again, and same deal. Only keeps running if I tap the gas or hold it in and it runs accordingly.

My dad came out and had me pull the spark plugs and they were as dark as charcoal on the bottom. Pat seems to think that this signifies my motor is running rich, but why would it do so all of a sudden? No changes have been made to it whatsoever, though. All in all, whatever this does signify, how can it be fixed?

The engine is a 1990 2.5 with a rebuilt Garret turbo, SS coolant lines, IC'd, a/c not charged yet. All fluids checked out OK.

Any help is appreciated. I cleaned up the spark plugs, put them back into place and after a few tries it started back up and ran fine over to my girlfriend's house.

Thanks in advance./

Re: Blackened spark plugs -- running rich? Why?

You tried pulling the codes yet?

Yep, no codes! So that was a plus haha

Have you checked or double checked the vac lines? Any cracked vac lines could potentially cause the problem.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

if possible, check your o2 sensor, it could be failing and making the puter think the car is lean, so it will dump extra fuel in, thats what my r/t is doing right now... good luck
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    if possible, check your o2 sensor, it could be failing and making the puter think the car is lean, so it will dump extra fuel in, thats what my r/t is doing right now... good luck
    Good possibility there. His A/F is showing lean....