Thread: Coolant Leak

Garrett booster

Coolant Leak

Was replacing the tensioner pulley today and found some coolant leaking from the back of the block on the passenger side. And then found some evidence of coolant leaking from the back of the block on the drivers side.

Yay....

But on the plus side, Goodyear Gatorback Idler pulley #49038 is a direct replacement for the TIII tensioner pulley. $19.99.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Coolant Leak

I would venture a guess at a head gasket or the block is cracked or both. If memory serves, you have had issues with blowing coolant out of the rad, right?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Did some more investigation. There's so much gunk on the back of the block I can't tell where the coolant is coming from... I'm going to assume that it's coming from the head gasket. The head gasket was replaced less than 4K miles ago by the previous owner's "mechanic" (76 station). I'm going to assume the little freeze plugs on the head weren't replaced or eliminated. And going to assume that they didn't have an FSM to do it all the right way.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by LowSL2 View Post
    Did some more investigation. There's so much gunk on the back of the block I can't tell where the coolant is coming from... I'm going to assume that it's coming from the head gasket. The head gasket was replaced less than 4K miles ago by the previous owner's "mechanic" (76 station). I'm going to assume the little freeze plugs on the head weren't replaced or eliminated. And going to assume that they didn't have an FSM to do it all the right way.
    Check the core plugs on the back of the block. If someone ran a weak antifreeze mixture in there long enough the plugs will rust out from the inside.

Hybrid booster

Isn't there two exhaust manifold studs that enter the cooling passages? Could that be it?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by LowSL2 View Post
    But on the plus side, Goodyear Gatorback Idler pulley #49038 is a direct replacement for the TIII tensioner pulley. $19.99.
    Is this for the timing belt?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by RJ138 View Post
    Is this for the timing belt?
    Serpentine belt

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Scottmon View Post
    Serpentine belt
    Thats what I figured but thought I would ask since the timing belt tensioner pulley is of a more specific design and would kick --- to have a cheap replacement.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by RJ138 View Post
    Thats what I figured but thought I would ask since the timing belt tensioner pulley is of a more specific design and would kick --- to have a cheap replacement.
    Cindy told me they might look into having that part repro'd, only option now is used or NOS if you can find it...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I have a few pulleys kicking around the shop from other makes and models. When I put mine together, I will try different ones and see what I can find,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info