Thread: piston to bore clearance?

Hybrid booster

piston to bore clearance?

What's the maximum amount of piston to bore clearance you could have? Also is there any tool to bore out the cylinders, I have a set of oversize pistons and I can't seem to remove any substantial material with the honer. I don't feel like taking the motor out, don't have time right now.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: piston to bore clearance?

The piston manufacterers give you the bore clearance and if you go past that spec, you risk poor ring seal and piston damage from rocking in the bore.

You can try a bar type hone as they will remove metal but depending on how much you need to remove, you could be at it for a few days not to mention the bores won't be perfectly straight. The only way to bore a motor is to take it apart and have a machine shop do it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: piston to bore clearance?

If you are trying to oversize .020" with a hone you're nuts. I've done it (nuts)and it takes days and days and it's almost impossible to avoid taper no matter how careful you are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]