Thread: How to remove door window trim on P-body?

Question How to remove door window trim on P-body?

Heading to the jyard tomorrow anticipating on grabbing the window trim that surrounds the driver's side window on the door of a 2-dr. Shadow. These things appear to have slits on the underside that are slide over a rivet of some sort. Who has successfully taken these off without bending them or damaging them? I'm primarily looking at getting the one that curves from the top of the door above the side mirror.

Help is appreciated! BTW, this is for hte 89 CSX style.

Hybrid booster

Re: How to remove door window trim on P-body?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Heading to the jyard tomorrow anticipating on grabbing the window trim that surrounds the driver's side window on the door of a 2-dr. Shadow. These things appear to have slits on the underside that are slide over a rivet of some sort. Who has successfully taken these off without bending them or damaging them? I'm primarily looking at getting the one that curves from the top of the door above the side mirror.

Help is appreciated! BTW, this is for hte 89 CSX style.
    Probably the best way to get that trim out with little to no damage to the trim is to first break the window glass then remove the interior door panel and start stripping the guts out of the door.

This will let you see what screws/bolts/rivets that need to be undone to remove the rubber trim.

If you don't want to break the glass make sure you bring a drill with some sharp drill bits because you will have some rivets to deal with to get the glass out of the door.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

The rivets that hold the window in are aluminum and are easy to drill through with a cordless drill and the right size bit. I use a small punch to knock the center of the rivet out first and then drill through the shell.

It's been a while since I've pulled any of that trim, but I don't remember having too much difficulty doing it on my Shadow and on a few of the cars I've parted out.

Edit: I noticed your actually talking about the upper trim, not the belt molding/window seal. I know this also came off pretty easy on my 89, but I don't remember how I did it. If you need a drivers side piece from the J-yard, try practicing on the passenger door first...
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Thanks guys, it was the upper trim piece. Although I did find a pair of very nice post-90 weatherstrips and had the break the windows to get to the screws. But for the upper trim piece, there were two tiny 8mm? nuts that had to come off, one behind the side mirror and another on the upper corner of the door. Once those were off, we tried shimmying it right and left a few times to get it moving, and eventually had to give it a good shove/smack in which case the white pieces behind the trim seemed to crack and we were able to disconnect them from the metal rivet looking things that this slid on over top of. It was terribly difficult to do and I have no idea how we're going to put it on the car lol....

Thanks for the help though!

Now next question, how does the rubber stripping that the window actually winds up into come out of the door??? I found a perfect pair that I need but don't know where to start pulling on them and don't want to pull in the wrong place first and have it crack/split.