Thread: Anyone familiar with SPEC or FIDANZA clutches?

Anyone familiar with SPEC or FIDANZA clutches?

Okay with my 2.4 finally coming together, I am going to need a pretty stout clutch and flywheel for it. So I got a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Now I need to sort out a clutch.

I have been looking at the Fidanza (Level 5.4 $399.99 – holds up to 450 hp) clutches and the SPEC (Stage 3 $409.95) clutches. A little pricey but hey.... why not. So anyone have any experience/opinions?

Re: Anyone familiar with SPEC or FIDANZA clutches?

I have a used spec stage 3 4 puck disc kit in my 2.4 neon. Its overkill for my 144ft lbs of torque. Its been holding up to my quick shifts quite well. SPEC even supported me through email and over the phone even though I bought the clutch used.

I was sticker shocked when I started looking for clutches for my 2.4 swapped neon. That was why I went used. I figured the spec stage 3 would hold until I can turbocharge the car this winter.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    I have a used spec stage 3 4 puck disc kit in my 2.4 neon. Its overkill for my 144ft lbs of torque. Its been holding up to my quick shifts quite well. SPEC even supported me through email and over the phone even though I bought the clutch used.

I was sticker shocked when I started looking for clutches for my 2.4 swapped neon. That was why I went used. I figured the spec stage 3 would hold until I can turbocharge the car this winter.

later
    Well, I was choosing the spec stage 3 to hold up to my turbo'd 2.4 it seems like it should hold up to plenty of Hp. Do you know what it's limits are? I plan to start with a modded SRT4 modular setup that I have for break in anyway.

I have no clue for what power level the clutch is rated for. I bought it used in feb from a neons.org member. He was parting out a turbo 2.0 making around ~300whp.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Here this is from the website
    the spec + clutches are capable of more toque but feel more like astock clutch
    I install alot of spec3 and 3+ clutches on VW's , feel great, hold good adn so far no complaints
    http://www.specclutch.com/

Dodge - Stratus
    Application Flywheels Aluminum Pressure Plate
    Year Span Engine Includes Steel Aluminum None Option None
    1995 2000 2.0L SD43S SD43A
    Pricing: $included $399 $199
    Choose Your Application Here
    Performance Kits
    Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 2+ Stage 3 Stage 3+ Stage 4 Stage 5 None
    Product Number: SD851 SD852 SD853H SD853 SD853F SD854 SD855
    Torque Capacity: 295 350 375 400 475 400 610
    Pricing: $399 $459 $499 $459 $609 $459 $559
    Choose Here
    Comments:
    Billet steel flywheel included in kit. Reduce rotating mass, increase high rpm reliability and gain free hp with our billet pressure plate option for $179.

turbo addict

Never run one in a turbo mopar, but I had a stage 3 in my WS6, which made 650 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels. I broke the first one when I mis-shifted from 3rd to 1st. Blew the clutch right through the bellhousing of the tranny and shattered everything to pieces. I called SPEC and told them exactly what happened (basicly, that I was a dummy). They said that the clutch should have ripped the input shaft off and should have never shattered. So, I sent it in and they rebuilt it free of charge. So, their service was very good for me and they stood behind their product. I never had another issue with the next one except that the disk wore out quickly (12k miles). But, thats to be expected. They even re-lined that disk and tuned the pressure plate again for like 150 bucks or something. I would recommend a SPEC clutch.

turbo addict

Love my Spec S3 on my heavy ShelbyZ making over 300ftlbs by now at 20psi. Made 280 @12psi. Very light easy to modulate and is holding great. A buddy has a Stage 3+ in his SRT and loves it. Holding up to him street racing the snot out of it and running high 12's on slicks.

turbo addict

Art had gobs of problems in his 400-500ft/lb motor with spec clutches (the stage 5 is a POS for THIS application)

turbo addict

what kinda problems? Who's ARt?