Thread: external wastegates on tIII's

Hybrid booster

external wastegates on tIII's

is anyone here, running a external wastegate?
    What is the uaual recommended boost level for switching from an internal to an external?

the reason I ask is, I am running 22+ pounds, and I have a 2.5 exhaust, catless and muffler less. running an internal wastegate... Ive eben talking to some local evo owners who asked why im not running a external. then I asked why switch? One of them said that if I went with an external unit, and had an open dump, it would be equivalent of a 3.0+" exhaust and keeping the 2.5" on, because the volume of the dump tube is not being pushed into the exhaust, thus freeing up airspace that is used by an internal unit, or an external that flows back into the exhaust.. this makes sense but im wondering what all your takes are on this...

Hybrid booster

Re: external wastegates on tIII's

oh, and if you have any pics of your ext wg, please let me see them.

Mitsu booster

my r/t T3/T4 60 Trim and a 38MM Tial Wastegate

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I will have pics when I am done, running a Deltagate II and 3 inch exhaust right off the housing,

How is compressor surge or ? with the 60 trim turbo? What boost are you running with it?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    is anyone here, running a external wastegate?
    What is the uaual recommended boost level for switching from an internal to an external?

the reason I ask is, I am running 22+ pounds, and I have a 2.5 exhaust, catless and muffler less. running an internal wastegate... Ive eben talking to some local evo owners who asked why im not running a external. then I asked why switch? One of them said that if I went with an external unit, and had an open dump, it would be equivalent of a 3.0+" exhaust and keeping the 2.5" on, because the volume of the dump tube is not being pushed into the exhaust, thus freeing up airspace that is used by an internal unit, or an external that flows back into the exhaust.. this makes sense but im wondering what all your takes are on this...
    All true points. There was an old DSM test back in the day that showed a 30 WHP gain from an internal gate routed through the exhaust to an externally dumped external gate.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    All true points. There was an old DSM test back in the day that showed a 30 WHP gain from an internal gate routed through the exhaust to an externally dumped external gate.
    Wow, thats really interesting. I am doing it so I don't have to plumb yet another wastegate can,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

cool, when I switch to the 63 housing i have on my shelf... i am going external!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Wow, thats really interesting. I am doing it so I don't have to plumb yet another wastegate can,
    Yeah, I tried to tell people about it years ago but everyone called me a liar pretty much. That was way back when before this board existed.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Yeah, I tried to tell people about it years ago but everyone called me a liar pretty much. That was way back when before this board existed.
    Liar, liar,

Have a link or something, would be cool to see the before and after dyno sheets. I bet the boost was more stable also.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Liar, liar,

Have a link or something, would be cool to see the before and after dyno sheets. I bet the boost was more stable also.
    Here's one showing the difference between and external dump and and external recirc.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...dump+vs+recirc

Thanks, I remember reading that a long time ago.

BTW, answer my 60 trim question in Franks thread will yah,

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbododgeglh View Post
    my r/t T3/T4 60 Trim and a 38MM Tial Wastegate

Hard to tell from the picture, but are you running the TiAL off of the stock manifold? If so, do you have any better pictures of it? I'd like to go to an external so I can put my GT30R on, but it's probably going to be a bit until I can get a header fabbed.

HOLY OLD THREAD FOR THE PERSON BELOW ME.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Mario, check out what I did, its better than putting the gate on a stock manifold.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=16425&page=19

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Lol, like I don't know that trick. I even sold you your old .63 housing and downpipe! I have a spare manifold around. Thought if someone else had run an external gate on one I'd try my hand at it as a temporary set-up. Ideally I'm going to the dyno, going to max it out on the 72's and the 50 trim, then go to a GT3076R, Header, and better cooler and call it a car. I'm going to run the WG off the header though....not the Exh housing.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Lol, like I don't know that trick. I even sold you your old .63 housing and downpipe! I have a spare manifold around. Thought if someone else had run an external gate on one I'd try my hand at it as a temporary set-up. Ideally I'm going to the dyno, going to max it out on the 72's and the 50 trim, then go to a GT3076R, Header, and better cooler and call it a car. I'm going to run the WG off the header though....not the Exh housing.
    DOH!!!

Wow, total brain fart there, lol!

My external setup. Rock solid boost. Very happy with it.