Thread: Same setup + add alky = go faster??? :)

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Same setup + add alky = go faster??? :)

Ok, right now my setup is a 87 2.2 TII style (ie 2 piece intake) w/ 89 Daytona IC. Running with 87 electronics and a blueberry cal (+20s, 3 bar @ 20 psi).

This is all on a stock garrett turbo. I know the stock garretts start to run out of steam around that area, and also start to pump hot air. SO this leads to my question.

If I add an alky system to my setup, could it help to makeup for the small stock IC, and bring intake temps down with the result being lower ETs??????? The main reason I ask is I noticed before going to 20 psi that my upper IC pipe was cool to the touch after a run. Now at 20 psi, its hot to the touch after a run. My original plan with this car was a huge IC, but maybe alky is an alternative.

thanks,
    clay
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Re: Same setup + add alky = go faster??? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Ok, right now my setup is a 87 2.2 TII style (ie 2 piece intake) w/ 89 Daytona IC. Running with 87 electronics and a blueberry cal (+20s, 3 bar @ 20 psi).

This is all on a stock garrett turbo. I know the stock garretts start to run out of steam around that area, and also start to pump hot air. SO this leads to my question.

If I add an alky system to my setup, could it help to makeup for the small stock IC, and bring intake temps down with the result being lower ETs??????? The main reason I ask is I noticed before going to 20 psi that my upper IC pipe was cool to the touch after a run. Now at 20 psi, its hot to the touch after a run. My original plan with this car was a huge IC, but maybe alky is an alternative.

thanks,
    clay
    Clay,

The answer is a resounding yes!

Without changing your tune your Omni will make more horsepower. The denser and colder air charge alone will reap HP improvements.

Now consider this too, either your have decided on an ceiling for your boost and/or timing on your tune. With the injection your threshhold for boost and timing has jumped significantly. The superior heat absorbsion of the water mixed with the high octane of the methonal creates combustion which is virtually detonation free. Our buddy the knock sensor will be bored waiting for something to report to the ECU. The ECU loves to show off it's timing table and will on it's own increase your timing levels w/o you touching the distributor yet.

Then pull out a 1/2 point of AFR to the low 12's high 11's watch the mph go up again. Grab a wrench loosen that dist lock nut and dial in a degree or 2 of timing. Got a Cal with built in knock detection? Tune this thing so simply but safely that you will be laughing all the way.

You say well I have to feed this what will that cost me? Well I buy my Meth here locally from a Sunoco fuel Distributor for 2.40 a gallon. Cut that with 50% water and for 1.25 a gallon you have a race gas cruiser. Or out of the area, just get a jug of -20 deg washer fluid, add a bottle of Yellow Heet and your off and running again.

I have made many boosted Dodge owners believers and very happy with thier decision. Without advertising anything but real world results. I and others have the dyno's to back it all up, the ET's/MPH and the wins.

It's time to "Chemically Intercool"

FYI,
    Marion Hutzel
    Dealer Snow Performance.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mario03SRT View Post
    Clay,

The answer is a resounding yes!

Without changing your tune your Omni will make more horsepower. The denser and colder air charge alone will reap HP improvements.

Now consider this too, either your have decided on an ceiling for your boost and/or timing on your tune. With the injection your threshhold for boost and timing has jumped significantly. The superior heat absorbsion of the water mixed with the high octane of the methonal creates combustion which is virtually detonation free. Our buddy the knock sensor will be bored waiting for something to report to the ECU. The ECU loves to show off it's timing table and will on it's own increase your timing levels w/o you touching the distributor yet.

Then pull out a 1/2 point of AFR to the low 12's high 11's watch the mph go up again. Grab a wrench loosen that dist lock nut and dial in a degree or 2 of timing. Got a Cal with built in knock detection? Tune this thing so simply but safely that you will be laughing all the way.

You say well I have to feed this what will that cost me? Well I buy my Meth here locally from a Sunoco fuel Distributor for 2.40 a gallon. Cut that with 50% water and for 1.25 a gallon you have a race gas cruiser. Or out of the area, just get a jug of -20 deg washer fluid, add a bottle of Yellow Heet and your off and running again.

I have made many boosted Dodge owners believers and very happy with thier decision. Without advertising anything but real world results. I and others have the dyno's to back it all up, the ET's/MPH and the wins.

It's time to "Chemically Intercool"

FYI,
    Marion Hutzel
    Dealer Snow Performance.
    Agreed. Alky/water is fantastic. You can run the boost and timing right up there without issue.

On a side note......Marion.....do you run the same misting nozzles as devilsown? I cant get a timely email reply to see whether they have a 8 or 9 gph nozzle.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I just can't help but picture Marion wearing a plaid suit and banging on Clay's front door trying sell a snow performance kit out of a suitcase.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Agreed. Alky/water is fantastic. You can run the boost and timing right up there without issue.

On a side note......Marion.....do you run the same misting nozzles as devilsown? I cant get a timely email reply to see whether they have a 8 or 9 gph nozzle.
    No, Snow Performance's nozzles are different. A lot of the other nozzles can be bought in industrial catalogs. You can however get a Snow nozzle with a push lock holder and use it.

FYI,
    Marion

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    I just can't help but picture Marion wearing a plaid suit and banging on Clay's front door trying sell a snow performance kit out of a suitcase.
    Well,

The snake oil market crashed and no one uses hair brushes any more.

BTW I like the lime green plaid jackets myself.

Marion

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mario03SRT View Post
    Well,

The snake oil market crashed and no one uses hair brushes any more.

BTW I like the lime green plaid jackets myself.

Marion
    i'll buy all your discontinued hair brush stock, I just built a time machine, and I can market them as pube brushes

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

You will make more power and have the capacity to produce more as well.

Hybrid booster

Snows nozzles are rated at ml/min, while most other use gph.
    The snow kit I bought, years ago for my truck, Matt sent the 175 ml/min and 225 ml/min nozzles. These were for a turbo engine @ around 300 horsepower.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by unluckyty View Post
    Snows nozzles are rated at ml/min, while most other use gph.
    The snow kit I bought, years ago for my truck, Matt sent the 175 ml/min and 225 ml/min nozzles. These were for a turbo engine @ around 300 horsepower.

Greg
    Zaggly...........for 350 and up go with the 375ml.

Marion

Garrett booster

im gunna get one of these babys this winter.. now, stage one or stage two?