Thread: door locking help?

TurboII

door locking help?

I have a 1988 chrysler lebaron 2 door and my driver side door doesnt open from the outside nor does the key open either. You have to lock it from the inside and also open it from the inside.

My question is my father is about ready to junk a 1986 chrysler laser (2.5 N/A) and was wondering if the locking assembly (rods, inside handle, outside door handle) will swap on my car.

Thanks

Joey
    And what else can swap im trying to take everything as possible.
    Last edited by TurboII; 07-23-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Trust Me...I'm "The Doctor"™ Turbo Mopar Vendor LaserXT1986's Avatar

Re: door locking help?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    I have a 1988 chrysler lebaron 2 door and my driver side door doesnt open from the outside nor does the key open either. You have to lock it from the inside and also open it from the inside.

My question is my father is about ready to junk a 1986 chrysler laser (2.5 N/A) and was wondering if the locking assembly (rods, inside handle, outside door handle) will swap on my car.

Thanks

Joey
    And what else can swap im trying to take everything as possible.
    I would think not. The Laser door handle (interior part) sat up high on the door panel, and was mounted sideways. The Lebaron sat lower on the door, and was mounted "flat". I would think the difference in distance would have created a different lentgh rod.

As far as the outside door handle (where the key is), there is a bracket that attaches to the door handle from the inside. This is tightened with a 10mm nut if I recall, and if it gets loose, can cause the door handle (on the outside) to move around somewhat, which can stop the linkage from being pulled "enough" to open the door.

Also, there are plastic "clips" that all the linkages use to attach to the outside door handle assembly. These clips tend to break with age, causing the linkage to the door handle to essentially be "severed". You can swap those plastic pieces from the Laser, as they are universal.

If you need pictures for a better description (sometimes I suck with words), let me know, as I have a Laser door apart and can happily post pictures.
    David C. Lucidi/1986 Chrysler Laser XT aka "K.I.T.T"
    Authorized TM Decal Vendor:

"SDAC-Club decals": National & many others.
    "Turbo-Mopar": All Decals in store.
    "Turbos Unleashed": Decals in the TU store.
    "Custom and One of a Kind": PM me your specific needs!
    "G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

TurboII

as a matter of fact i would like a picture cause i took my car apart and the only thing that worked on the lebaron from the laser was the thing that struck the striker bolt the unit that keeps the door from staying open. But the down fall of it is the laser is not power lock and my car is and another thing is the door still cant open from the outside but it function alot better but i can lock it and open it from the inside and lock it with a key from the outside. My guess is i need a 1988 lebaron striker hinge ( if im saying that right ) for power locks along with a new door handle.
    Damn car!! my to do list just keeps going

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    as a matter of fact i would like a picture cause i took my car apart and the only thing that worked on the lebaron from the laser was the thing that struck the striker bolt the unit that keeps the door from staying open. But the down fall of it is the laser is not power lock and my car is and another thing is the door still cant open from the outside but it function alot better but i can lock it and open it from the inside and lock it with a key from the outside. My guess is i need a 1988 lebaron striker hinge ( if im saying that right ) for power locks along with a new door handle.
    Damn car!! my to do list just keeps going
    I'll post some good pictures tonight.

Just so you know, if one car is power locked and another is not, it's not a big deal. The part that you will need to modify (takes 10 seconds once out of the car) will be shown in the pictures tonight (I did this swap already).

"G-BODY TURBO,TURBO Z, SHELBY Z decals": 100% authentic exact reproduction of factory originals, guaranteed to meet concourse level restorations.

Hopefully these pictures will help. As I said, the rods for the inside of the Laser (that go to the interior door handle and "lock/unlock" device) are likely a different length/bend than the 87 2 door Lebaron.

These pictures represent a PASSENGER side door, but Driver's side is the same except for opposite direction.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask away if more help is needed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door Handle.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	436.2 KB 
ID:	5049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interior door connections.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	410.0 KB 
ID:	5050