Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of engine questions

turbo addict

Couple of engine questions

well ive been reading around on there and turbododge.com and noticed people put different year engine parts in there cars to get the the best possible combination. like using a 87 block, 84 pistons, 89 rods and so on, i was just wondering if you were going to use factory stuff what years are the best for a specific item. also what about a all stock 2.2, 2.5 engine which year is the best, and which years/options ran 12psi rather then 7 psi? Thanks

Hybrid booster

Re: Couple of engine questions

A great place to start on this info is at

www.thedodgegarage.com

Look in the turbo database

Martin
    89 Horizon
    90 Sundance

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Check out the KC center in the top tool bar, also www.thedodgegarage.com.

In a nutshell, 89 and up common blocks are the strongest, turbo and TBI use the same blocks, with some minor machine mods to make a tbi block ready for turbo use. Older blocks aren't bad but if your starting from scratch, the CB's are the way to go.
    87 TII rods, 89 and up turbo rods, TIV and TIII rods are all the same and the strongest.
    87 TII cranks are forged and can't be used in 89 and up blocks, 89 and up TIII, TIV cranks are forged. Cast tbi cranks are used in the 2.2/2.5 turbo and can take 400 whp no problem and are lighter.
    All engines except the TIII use cast which are weak, TIII's used forged but will give you 9ish compression when used in an 8 valve engine.

Most of the turbo's came from the factory set at around 11 psi.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

were the 2.2/2.5 or 3.0 engines considered zero tolerance engines, like if the timing belt snapped would the pistons smash into the valves?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    were the 2.2/2.5 or 3.0 engines considered zero tolerance engines, like if the timing belt snapped would the pistons smash into the valves?
    No sir!

Martin
    89 Horizon
    90 sundance

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbulence View Post
    No sir!

Martin
    89 Horizon
    90 sundance
    well thats good to know. Can anyone drop me some info on the 'cals' so far i understand this as the computer. and that it is located in the intake to cool it off? i searched for it but came up with way to many generic discussions on random cal talk

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    87 TII rods, 89 and up turbo rods, TIV and TIII rods are all the same and the strongest.
    87 TII cranks are forged and can't be used in 89 and up blocks, 89 and up TIII, TIV cranks are forged. Cast tbi cranks are used in the 2.2/2.5 turbo and can take 400 whp no problem and are lighter.
    All engines except the TIII use cast which are weak, TIII's used forged but will give you 9ish compression when used in an 8 valve engine..

so what your talking about are cranks? right? oh and how much power wil a 89 2.5L dekota crank hold? thanks

turbo addict

well thats good to know. Can anyone drop me some info on the 'cals' so far i understand this as the computer. and that it is located in the intake to cool it off? i searched for it but came up with way to many generic discussions on random cal talk
    There are three major computer packages available on these cars:83-87 Logic Module AND a separate Control Module; 87+ had SMEC(single unit); and a few had SBEC modules. By far the most common is the SMEC and is the easiest to obtain. There are a couple aftermarket performance vendors with different settings and such so the sky is the limit with options.

However, I am surprised this has not been asked:
    What are you doing? What are your goals? What car is this going into? Is this going to be an automatic or a manual car? What are you looking for: reliability, power, or low cost(you can only choose two )? Are you planning on racing or daily driving it?

These will help with recommendations that will make this much easier...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

Lots of good info in here.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by sundanceRS-turbo View Post
    so what your talking about are cranks? right? oh and how much power wil a 89 2.5L dekota crank hold? thanks
    I am talking about rods, cranks and pistons.

Cast Dakota crank should hold 400whp easily with some minor prep work.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

well i havnt got a daytona/dodge yet, but i am hopefully going to buy one from a local guy

turbo addict

well i havnt got a daytona/dodge yet, but i am hopefully going to buy one from a local guy
    Well, depending on the year, it may be the most cost effective and "feasible" to keep the same "general" configuration that it has/had so to speak depending upon your performance goals... What year are you looking at?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

im lookin at a 89 daytona AGS C/S. 2.2 tII from a guy on here. im just trying to read up on misc. info and what i cant find to awnser my questions i'll post up. i was wow'ed when informed the computer is in the intake system, this is to cool it i assume. as anyone had problems with it getting wet?

turbo addict

If it's somebody from any of the various forums here it is probably soebody that has modded it in some form already. If he is a trustworthy source then see if he will let you know what he's done and the "flaws" that it is currently having. ALL Td's need something.... I have yet to see the "magic car" that needs nothing.

That is an excellent platform to start with, if it's all orginal, and has everything. It has the strongest of everything internally and, with the CB block, if it's still there, and other than the rarer 16 valve version, it is the top performer in the 4cyl 8V class. It should have the 2.5 SV and other higher end "knick-knacks" stock as well. What power levels are you looking ot achieve? Realistically now..

The SMEC is far enough up in the ducting that water has to take more unrealistic turns that this is rarely an issue...

im lookin at a 89 daytona AGS C/S. 2.2 tII from a guy on here. im just trying to read up on misc. info and what i cant find to awnser my questions i'll post up. i was wow'ed when informed the computer is in the intake system, this is to cool it i assume. as anyone had problems with it getting wet?

Its not in the intake system so to speak, the air filter is hooked up to the computer on 88 and up models, it basically pulls air thru the computer to keep it cool. Its fully sealed so getting it wet is not a problem. Alot of disconnect the computer from the air system due to packaging constraints.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Its not in the intake system so to speak, the air filter is hooked up to the computer on 88 and up models, it basically pulls air thru the computer to keep it cool. Its fully sealed so getting it wet is not a problem. Alot of disconnect the computer from the air system due to packaging constraints.
    Huh? Simon, I agree it's technically not in the "intake system," but you're saying the stock air filter "pulls air" across the computer? Wouldn't that be going the wrong way?

Basically it comes through an "odd shaped" oval opening at the front of the SMEC, across the SMEC internals, which is "somewhat sealed" (which is what I think Simon is saying), then it goes to the air filter assembly. From there the air travels to the turbo and goes into the IC then to the throttlebody. The air filter box is not literally attached/hooked to the computer. It is a standalone unit. This system is called a "blow-through" design....

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    Huh? Simon, I agree it's technically not in the "intake system," but you're saying the stock air filter "pulls air" across the computer? Wouldn't that be going the wrong way?
    That is correct, the air filter is on the suction side so the computer gets the air first, then the air filter, then the turbo.

turbo addict

ok.. I see your view then. I was looking at it as a more "pushing motion"(Ram Air) while moving versus a suckthrough as, outside of boost, the "sucking" of the turbo would be nominal at best. I see what you meant though...

turbo addict

well the guy is topdollar69, who is a local member that lives near me somewhat, we talked the other day i learned a lot, asked a lot, really good guy to deal with. he said he would get it running good for me, had a couple vacuum issues and threw code 13, that i now know is for a bad map sensor which he commented it was drenched in gas. had a slight mis idle but other they that it was good. i don't wanna get to excited about the car (although i am) cause Im still looking but more then likely going to buy it when it is done and runs good. I was really impressed he was very friendly and everything, threw out a lot of info, ha i felt like i was on over load. as for goals its probably going to be me DD, but i want some kick on her to, say mid to low 14's from it and from reading that isn't hard at all. Ive been talking a lot with some of the guys i work with on the turbo subject which they are all into (Nissan guys) sure plans for hp may change but thats what Im thinking as of now.

turbo addict

o and another question on the tIII cars with the problems they have of cracking heads cause of steal frost plugs in an aluminum head, what should they have used in its place? brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast