Thread: Anyone use a Needham's chip burner?

Anyone use a Needham's chip burner?

I have a Needham's EMP-20 chip burner that I would like to use to burn my own cals. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this burner. I just ordered some EPROMS today so hopefully I can start soon. I know the burner works as I have used it before at work. All I was doing with it there was copying a previously programmed chip to make duplicates. I think Gary Donovan used to use one of these if my memory serves me right.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Re: Anyone use a Needham's chip burner?

I have an EMP-10. Not sure about the 20, but my 10 needs real-time access to the parallel port to successfully program 28 and 29 series chips. This is due to the timing requirements of the chip itself. The 27 series stuff programs fine with non-real-time access.

What this means is that it work unreliably with Windows NT, 2000, and XP. It will eventually do it, but it is tedious and annoying. They have an NT driver, which is required for the DOS-based software to work at all. What I did was install Windows 98 on my laptop. I was already dual-booting Linux, so adding a 3rd OS was trivial. It was a (bad) trip down memory lane getting Windows 98 up an running. MS has come a long way....

That shouldn't be a problem. I have 98 SE running on the computer that I'm going to use for this project. Hopefully it works well.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

You shouldn't have any problems, then. It's a really good burner, actually.

It's funny, I got the computer to use with the burner. I had the hardest time finding a decent older computer, then finding a copy of 98 SE was a real headache. I will never again try to resurrect an old Compaq computer. Thanks for the info Russ, you site is always a ton of help!

Great, glad to hear it. Yeah , I had forgotten how many times you need to reboot Win98 whenever you do anything. Being a laptop (old Dell), it needed all kinds of goofy drivers too and it sometimes just won't boot or craps out for no reason. If I put it in a docking station, it gets very angry. Typical old Windows.