Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need pics of log side mount intercooler...

turbo addict

need pics of log side mount intercooler...

Went and picked up a OLD spearco water injection kit from a guy at work, and he also happend to have what appeared to be one of the old side, not top mount IC kits sold in the 80's for the log cars. can someone get me some pics of one of these? Im thinking of buying it and putting it on my 86 NY.

Hybrid booster

Re: need pics of log side mount intercooler...

I think there are some pics of that on Gary Donovan's site. Look under the
    "intercooling the log" section. It was something from Spearco, so it should be good stuff.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

turbo addict

I dug those up this morning, but the quailty is very poor. I was hoping someone had some better pics. I can tell how it was installed and that is the most important thing. Now Ive got to see how much the guy wants for it, and find someone to convert it to water/air...

Hybrid booster

I had the Spearco side mount for yeas befor swaping to a T2 set up.
    I searched for pics but the closest I found was one of when I swapped out the side mount for a stock T2 IC.

The log manifold from the set up is still there but in place of where the side mount IC is, are hard hoses.

The Spearco would mount just above the trans, out of the turbo is a 45 deg elbo that would join to the lower inlet of the IC. Out of the IC joins to the top of the manifold. The original inlet of the manifold is cut off and welded closed. A new 90 deg inlet pipe is then welded to the top of the manifold between runners #3 and #4.
    I actually got this set up to run 12.0 way back when..

If you need a modified manifold for the set up, I happen to have one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charger_Shelby_-_Engine[1].jpe 
Views:	285 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	5007  

turbo addict

did you have any issues with certian cylinders running lean the way the mani is set up? How much boost where your running when you ran 12's? I bet I can buy the intake from the guy CHEAP and then run a stock IC setup (have one already).

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    did you have any issues with certian cylinders running lean the way the mani is set up? How much boost where your running when you ran 12's? I bet I can buy the intake from the guy CHEAP and then run a stock IC setup (have one already).

No issues really. I never ran an egt gage at the time.

I did crack pistons periodically when I ran the Mahle's but that was due to cylinder pressure.

I ran in excess of 20 lbs with a 70hp squeeze of juice to run 12.0
    Without the roids I would run high twelves.

The intake I have is fully ported and has a 2.5 inlet elbow welded to it in place of the 2.25 that the Spearco kit came with.
    If you want it, I'll give it to you cheep. It's just sitting on a shelf in the basement collecting dust.

turbo addict

was it always the same piston? I am intrested in it, how cheap is cheap?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    was it always the same piston? I am intrested in it, how cheap is cheap?
    I broke # 3 a few times then #1 and 4 so it was random. Also, I never melted pistons which is a sign of a lean condition, I just cracked the pistons between the lands.

What's cheep?

Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Hybrid booster

Gaboon,
    I am curious as to how the car behaves with draw through and a remote intercooler.. I tried to intercool my GLHT years ago with a volvo FMIC and intake manifold just like yours. The problem is when I would let off the throttle after being in boost the engine liked to rev high for a couple of seconds until it drew the whole intake system to a state of vacuum. This made driving difficult.

Did the FMIC draw though system have more throttle lag than stock?

Were you running the stock T-1 computer to get this much power? How about the cylinder head; was it swirl or tub?

If the setup you had worked that well without drivability issues then I will surely convert my T-1 85 Laser XE.

Hybrid booster

If any of you two decide you do not want that intake manifold please let me know because I would love to have it. My T-1 laser would love to be spoiled.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
    Gaboon,
    I am curious as to how the car behaves with draw through and a remote intercooler.. I tried to intercool my GLHT years ago with a volvo FMIC and intake manifold just like yours. The problem is when I would let off the throttle after being in boost the engine liked to rev high for a couple of seconds until it drew the whole intake system to a state of vacuum. This made driving difficult.

Did the FMIC draw though system have more throttle lag than stock?

Were you running the stock T-1 computer to get this much power? How about the cylinder head; was it swirl or tub?

If the setup you had worked that well without drivability issues then I will surely convert my T-1 85 Laser XE.

No drivability issues at all. You need to use non collapsible hoses due to it being a draw through. My lower was a steel pipe bent to clear the trans, the upper was a steel wire reinforced heavy duty water pipe (farm equipment) that did not collaps.

I used a stage 2 T1 computer with 803 injectors, additional fuel was delivered by a 5th injector system (miller woods) that began injecting fuel progressivly over 12 lbs boost.

I found the t1 to have LESS lag than T2.

Garrett booster

I wish I had pics of our setups but that was before digital cameras. Despite what most say, we never noticed any issues with the modified log intake. Both Gaboon & I ran those Spearco side-mount IC systems for over 10 years. We both managed 13.0? @ 104-106 mph running 17psi & Gaboon hit high 12's with the T2 IC up front as you see in the pic. We both ran the MP T1 LM with '803 injectors & a 5th injector system as mentioned, also a 46mm TB, ported stock exhaust manifolds, 2 1/4" swingvalve to a 2 1/2" exhaust, super 60 cams & I had a badly ported big valve G-head. For the most part, the cars always ran well. We drove them from Montreal to SDAC-4 (Indy), SDAC-5 (WV), Gaboon's to SDAC-9(Chicago) & SDAC-10(Detroit), raced them & drove them home with no issues.

Hybrid booster

I am amazed as to how well the log worked for both of you! Hopefully it did not reduce fuel economy over stock consumption levels.

It looks like I am going to attempt the same setup on my car. It looks like FWD performance sells a 1985 Stage 3 cal for cars with intercooler that may be worth looking at. It looks as though this will be the easiest way to keep my car close to original. I would like to design it so the stock air filter box can remain in use to keep a stealthly look under the hood. I think the reason my intercooled T-1 did not work previously was due to a holy leaking volvo FMIC.

Probably next month I will have the money to start this project. It appears to be relatively inexpensive compared to buying a 1 piece manifold and all of the newer electronics too.

I have been looking around the internet and cannot seem to find more pictures of the modified manifold.

turbo addict

I can pass on that mani if pacer guy wants to buy it. The local guy that had one just gave it to me the other day. Good luck with your log build!

Hybrid booster

Wow! This is an interesting thread to me. I set up an intercooled log on my '86 Lebaron back in April. I've been to the track with it once, got a best of 14.86 @ 90 mph. That was at 13lbs of boost. I need to add more fuel to get any more out of it, my Dawes A/F was showing yellow.

The drivability seems fine, it does rev a bit high when first started, but then settles right down. I'm currently running Cindy's 1986 stage 3 calibration, but it hasn't been to the track yet. My next mod will be to try 33pph injectors from an '89 Daytona and see if I can run a couple more psi of boost.

I'm using a Ford Probe intercooler mounted close to the transaxle. The manifold is modified to stick staight out by #4 cylinder.

I'd like to hear more about the 5th injector and where it was installed.
    Thanks!
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Hybrid booster

Spraynlog, it is interesting that your manifold sticks straight out. Did you install a sharp bend on the turbo outlet? It looks like there is not room for that on my car since the turbo points straight up.

I am still trying to figure out where to route the intercooler hoses to make it in front of the AC condensor. There is no room on either side. I will look at it some more tomorrow. I am wondering if the longer piping that I would use to make it to the grill would cause drivability problems due to increased air volume in the system.

I do have an eeprom burner so I could make a 3 bar 85 cal with mopar chem as to avoid the 5th injector. I only have experience with 87 electronics. I think the 85 computers have 2 eproms but I am not sure.

Hybrid booster

I finally found my log, dusted it off and took a pic.
    It is the same as the original that came with the side mount Spearco unit except for the 90 deg elbo is 2.25" in diameter instead of 2.00"

I at the time also replaced the 2.00" outlet of the intercooler for a 2.5" to maximize flow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log intake.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	5075  

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    I finally found my log, dusted it off and took a pic.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by crazy1eye View Post

It wierd, I never realized my camera could be used for these types of pics....

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Here are some pics that I have from when I had my spearco kit on my car.
    spearco kit
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast