Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRT4 2.4L swap into an A-body

Garrett booster

SRT4 2.4L swap into an A-body

I'd like to build an older car........like the lightest, most compact A-body. I particularly like the '63-'66 darts. I think it would be neat to stuff a turbo 2.4L in one. I know it would be a ton of work but has anyone done anything like this? What problems would need resolved? I know mounts, tranny, and rear end would need to be addressed....and I'd assume all new electronics would be required. It wouldn't happen overnight but I think it'd be cool to make it happen. I wouldn't need a 10 second beast, more along the lines of in the 13's with *decent* handling (I know a lot would have to be done). But it would be, as I've said, wicked cool. Any input?

Hybrid booster

Re: SRT4 2.4L swap into an A-body

Trans is fairly easy....Supra trans with a 2.5 dakota bellhousing. Rear end would simply be a choice of $$ and availability, 8-3/4 would be nice but depending on the power level an 8-1/4 may be ok.

Garrett booster

I'm looking at this:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...1/89431691.htm

I found some info online saying they weigh around 2600lbs.....that's 200lbs lighter than an SRT4 Damn this would be a sick project. My parents need to build their pole barn ASAP so I can get to work on something other than my neon

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I don't think it would be that hard, you have all that room in the engine compartment, you can make up your own mounts if you have any fab skills. You can choose just about any standalone system you want, IE Megasquirt, AEM, MicroTech-I'll be swapping to that over winter etc.

You would be able to build a really nice equal length header, tons of room for any IC you want and any custom intake you want. If I had the time, money and energy, I would love to build something like that, maybe even an older truck or van,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by dunny View Post
    I'm looking at this:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...1/89431691.htm

I found some info online saying they weigh around 2600lbs.....that's 200lbs lighter than an SRT4 Damn this would be a sick project. My parents need to build their pole barn ASAP so I can get to work on something other than my neon
    It'd probably weigh even less than that after the engine swap. I'm sure a turbo 2.4L probably weighs less than an old slant 6.

I plan on putting a turbo 2.4L into my '77 Datsun 280Z eventually. It's pretty light weight too.

turbo addict

Hmm a duster sounds like a good candidate as well. I know tokyo drift was kinda cheesy like the rest of them but they swap a similar engine into an old mustang. I don't see why this thing wouldn't be the baddest rice killer to squeeze almost 30 mpg out of an old car ever built.. +1 for this swap!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

My neon is running megasquirt so I'd probably go that route. Yeah I thought about the engine weighing a lot less too. I would have to hire out some of the fabrication work but I'd be willing to learn as much as possible to do what I can. WOW I may have to start planning this out. With the weight around 2500lbs or so, RWD, and a decent sized turbo on it I bet it would be a blast. It would also be a mad tight drifter yo! (ricer sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    It'd probably weigh even less than that after the engine swap. I'm sure a turbo 2.4L probably weighs less than an old slant 6.

I plan on putting a turbo 2.4L into my '77 Datsun 280Z eventually. It's pretty light weight too.
    The hipo Rotary shop next door has tons of older Camry's, RWD Toyota's, 240's, 280's, 510's etc with turbo'd inline 6's and Microtech engine management.

Last night, they were spinning a car up on the dyno, the car had a lower growl to it, so I guessed at there 3 rotor RX7, I guess right, it has a way different howl than a 2 rotor. It put down, 610 whp at 14 psi and they had just started tuning it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

've wanted to do a turbo A body for a while now. I still kick myself for not buying that 1964 Dart.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Garrett booster

What year trans from a Supra? I'd imagine those can get expensive, right? I'm trying to figure up a budget....

Garrett booster

there was a land speed barracuda built with a 2.4 it tooks some record and it was pretty cool. i found a site on it once i'll try again. i once had a 69 valiant with a slant six i wanted to turbo that too but i had to sell it.

here it is!
    http://www.radrides.com/69cuda.html

looking at the pics it doesn't look like your normal 2.4???? what is it????
    Last edited by azkcar135; 07-18-2007 at 11:54 PM.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The hipo Rotary shop next door has tons of older Camry's, RWD Toyota's, 240's, 280's, 510's etc with turbo'd inline 6's and Microtech engine management.

Last night, they were spinning a car up on the dyno, the car had a lower growl to it, so I guessed at there 3 rotor RX7, I guess right, it has a way different howl than a 2 rotor. It put down, 610 whp at 14 psi and they had just started tuning it,
    A rotory with a lower growl? Every rotory I've ever heard sounds like a lawn mower that's about to explode. Yeah people swap every engine you can imagine into the S30 (240Z/260Z/280Z) chasis. Not very many mopar swaps out there. I think I've found 1 with a 318 in it. Most people put SBCs in them, a few SBFs, and a lot of all your popular "JDM" engines.

I'm going to run the 2.8L inline six that's in the 280Z into the ground with some Nitrous I have out in the garage once I get it running, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    A rotory with a lower growl? Every rotory I've ever heard sounds like a lawn mower that's about to explode. Yeah people swap every engine you can imagine into the S30 (240Z/260Z/280Z) chasis. Not very many mopar swaps out there. I think I've found 1 with a 318 in it. Most people put SBCs in them, a few SBFs, and a lot of all your popular "JDM" engines.

I'm going to run the 2.8L inline six that's in the 280Z into the ground with some Nitrous I have out in the garage once I get it running, hehe.
    Dude, you gotta hear it to believe it, its a low, deep growl, sounds unreal.

They put real mufflers on there buildups so even the 2 rotor engines sound good.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by azkcar135 View Post
    there was a land speed barracuda built with a 2.4 it tooks some record and it was pretty cool. i found a site on it once i'll try again. i once had a 69 valiant with a slant six i wanted to turbo that too but i had to sell it.

here it is!
    http://www.radrides.com/69cuda.html

looking at the pics it doesn't look like your normal 2.4???? what is it????
    That is a sprint motor if I remember correctly. A stock block couldn't handle the power they are putting through that thing. They are hoping to break the 300mph barrier at the Salt Flats this week.

- Jon

Garrett booster

Just landed a 2.4L for my project. Now on the hunt for some stock SRT4 rods/pistons. This project just might happen.....

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

piston/rod assembly is $50 a piece at dealer according to some posts ive read.

Garrett booster

Yeah $200 for a set. I've found used sets for $90 shipped. Not sure what I'll do yet. I want to get the engine first and see what condition it is in. Should have it sometime this week.

Hybrid booster

There is a SOLID 66 dart here in FL for $1000 already in primer & ready to be put back together. I thought about making a altered wheel base car with it.

Garrett booster

A '66 would work great. Can you PM me some info about it? If I can see some photos I may be interested in buying it and shipping it up here to Ohio. Thanks.

Hybrid booster

I'll take some pic's of it. It's in a towing & storage place that sells cars also. They had it marked at $1800 for a long time thinking it's a muscle car or something. I've kept track of it ,It's a solid car.. Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast