Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 107.4 mph @ 5.8psi high elevation :D

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 107.4 mph @ 5.8psi high elevation :D

Went for a scary ride. 2 4th gear pulls.

#1 pull it was way to lean and boost was creeping badly. 3000 rpms and we were at full boost 5 psi. boost then crept up to 9+ psi near redline and the car leaned out to 15:1 a/f. EGT's got up to 1725. Not good. Glad I had a datalog of that. Cranked up the rising rate regulator.

#2 pull 3000rpms = 5psi. Creeps to 6ish psi and then above 4800 rpms it creeps up to 8-9psi. My guess is the engine really is moving air at those rpms and the tial 38mm is not able to handle it. Only leaned out to 13:1 but that was a blip it was more like 12.7:1. Added a little bit more fuel.

This is with the custom intake manifold fixed and cams advanced 4 degrees.

So my question is this. When if turn the boost up, is it going to creep even higher or will it probably creep to the same numbers as before?
    I dont want to turn it up to 8-9 psi and then have it creep to 13-14 cause I dont have enough fuel for that.

Wondering this question because if its going to be a POS and creep that high, then I might as well run the same boost number throughout the RPM range so tuning the a/f is a bit less weird.

Is my camshaft timing complicating boost creep or shouldnt that be a non issue above 4800 rpms where the creep gets really bad?

One thing I am going to try is giving a dedicated vacuum line to the wastegate as its currently sharing with a lot of other stuff.

On an interesting note.
    Car does 40-120 in about 13 seconds on my datalog.
    Thats all in 4th gear starting at 2000 rpms. wee. Previously it took about 12 seconds to go 40-100.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Just get it running already, sheesh,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

if it creeps at 5, it will creep higher.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

So is this a situation where it will creep regardless of boost pressure and the only real fix is a larger wastegate valve?

If so I plan on building another manifold and installing this one on my stock motor spirit. Then I would just build things for a larger wastegate like a 44mm or 46mm.

im pretty sure it will. the exhaust volume will only get larger as the boost goes up.

how is the wastegate positioned in relation to all the other pipes. there just might be a restriction somewhere that is causing it to creep and not the wastegate itself.

ive seen 38mm's support some pretty hefty setups without issue so it might be something else.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

There is one 1 1/8" pipe coming from the rear cylinder bank and one 1 1/8" pipe coming from the front cylinder bank. They merge and then go into the Tial 38mm which is sitting in front of the transmission. It then dumps below the clutch release arm.

well 38mm is 1.49" so about 1.5. i know you are using 2 pipes from the manifolds but maybe using 1.5"id and merging at that size (if you didnt already) might help?

whats the output dump tube size?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    well 38mm is 1.49" so about 1.5. i know you are using 2 pipes from the manifolds but maybe using 1.5"id and merging at that size (if you didnt already) might help?

whats the output dump tube size?

Brian
    I think the issue you run into with the pipes is that the valve is 38mm but the entry and exit holes are not 38mm.
    The inside diameter of the 1 1/8" pipes fit perfectly with the inside diameter of the tial 38mm flanges. I dont quite remember if the pipes are exactly 1 1/8" though. Its been a few years.

my wideband is dead me no happy. the power wire got caught in the steering coupler 2 nights ago and shorted out. new wires have not been able to revive it .
    Guess im gonna have to mail it back to zeitronix.

I dont understand what hurt it because the power wire grounded itself to the body so I would think there is no voltage getting to the wideband controller. I thought there was a fuse inside the zeitronix but nope
    Last edited by Ondonti; 11-25-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Tank lid comes out into the engine bay. I put this where a normal car has the charcoal canister. Pump sits behind the bumper.
    Mmmm stealth

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

sweet.

Hybrid booster

Is that a Falken tire i see? It looks directional, and looks like its rotating the wrong way...

probably is. I never messed with the tire rotation on this car after I bought it and the tires are really really crappy
    Will probably fix that when I pull the wheels to swap temporarily with my spirit.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456