Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 107.4 mph @ 5.8psi high elevation :D

turbo addict

107.4 mph @ 5.8psi high elevation :D

(timeslip pic @ bottom)
    So I fixed some plug fouling problems.....
    drove to the track (still breaking in motor :P ) Longest drive Ive ever had the car on....by far. About 50 miles.

Get there, Find out my hub spacers dont fit (too big for my tiny 5x100 pattern). So that means no slicks
    I call my friend (bansheenut) and have him bring his drag radials. I run them @ 13-14psi.
    I had a lot of drama getting the car to the staging lines (vacuum cap blew off on freeway and I didnt notice till I drove into the staging lanes, shifter linkage messed up 2nd time I got into staging but I was able to push it back together :P

Never done a burnout before, but these were drag radials so I wanted to warm them up. I was basically letting off right as they started spinning so I didnt get much of a burnout my first try. 2nd try I did but it didnt help.

I just sat at the line my first run then took off. I really wish I had the right spacers cause I needed my slicks.
    1st gear = no traction. so after i hit the limiter I go into 2nd. hit the limiter in 2nd gear (tires spinning)
    Ive never really driven this car before so I just automatically shifted into 3rd even though my car is still traveling really slow (no traction in 1st or 2nd = not moving fast yet).

3rd gear bogs bad. I didnt datalog but I think rpms dropped to maybe 2800 rpms which is not helpful for going fast. I do get traction though ....well until the turbo spools again. Not sure if staying in 2nd spinning tires longer would have helped. Like I said, I have no practice racing the car. Rather just run slicks and not worry so much.
    RPMS get up to 3200ish and then the party starts again. Hit limiter in 3rd, shift to 4th, zoom.

2nd run was very similar except I almost went into the wall in 3rd gear when the turbo spooled after the same stupid bog.

I forgot my helmet so they let me run 1 more time and then finally made me go home.

Remember I am @ 4400 feet elevation so the car is a lot slower up hear. SRT-4's only trap about 95mph on an excellent run.

I need to find the right spacers and then I think with traction in at least 2nd gear, I wont bog 3rd and my traps should improve a lot(obviously E.T.'s will improve).
    A lot of people thought the turbo wasnt spooling (everyone who talked to me, friends, including the track announcer) but it was just that boost in 1st and 2nd gear (obviously I can get boost in 3rd then) was causing me to short shift into 3rd and bog.
    Transmission seems to have chewed up a bearing on my drive home so I will have to get my OBX LSD installed in another transmission.

I am not sure if I will race again with just the slicks to see how the Trap speeds improve, or if I will also install my custom intake manifold (short runner huge plenum, tested on my n/a SOHC daily driver Spirit and it was amazing). I really enjoy bench racing and then proving it so I sorta want to try them separately. I think the intake manifold will rock.

This is all on about 5.8psi boost (.4 bar). I lose about 2.2psi of atmosphere up here so my car should behave more like 7.8psi @ sea level.

Notice I pick up 28mph on the top end with only 5.5 psi boost wee. Probably some of that huge increase is the 3rd gear bog. When my spirit was turbocharged I didnt have traction problems and my 1/8th mile trap was 82 on 5.8psi (only picked up 19mph) so my benchracing tells me There is plenty left in this setup without using 35psi boost :P
    I really want mid/low 12's on .4 bar (5.8psi) @ high elevation. Flying to see my parents so no sea level passes this year. I think I would pick up 4-5mph down there + my traps would go up just from not bogging 3rd if I had my slicks on.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 107.4 mph @ 5.8psi high elevation :D

Sounds like you're making some power, time to get some traction

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Not bad at all, your like me, you just can't give up,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

What was that slow thing in the right lane?

Quote Originally Posted by bn880 View Post
    Maybe but look at his reaction time, Brents sleeping while the guy is gone,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

He was just teasing him

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Good job Brent. Now all the BS and hard work is sarting to pay off.

Only problem is... it's still slower than my VNT just kidding.

Seriously, I know what it's like to put alot into something and it giving you fits when it's done. In the end, it all sorted out pretty much exactly as planned for my Shadow, but now it's getting something much better and I am preparing for "tear my hair out time" coming this fall!
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    It was my first run and I hadnt staged a car in about a year so I decided screw it, I dont need to leave on green (the 2.3 r/t was actually my first pass).
    I was going to try again this friday with slicks to see if I can get the trap speeds over 110 with out the 3rd gear bog but I think I am pulling the transmission and having some work done. The bad idler gear bearing finally took a crap and probably nuked the shaft too. IM gonna try to mix and match that transmissions 3.50 final drive with the later 3.77 gears and then get my OBX installed in that transmission.
    Im not really sure whats gonna happen yet. My machine shop http://www.strasburg-racing.com/index.html owner said to call his buddy so I did..found out he is only rebuilding part time and is working at my university so he can just come by friday to pick up my transmissions.

The real pain is that I have to get my clutch rebuilt for a large spline imput shaft.

I really wanted to race but I dont trust the trans to drive 100 miles again.
    Will probably be "down" till early august. Hoping to have the trans done by the time I come back from visiting Seattle (flying there). Missing a lot of the racing season here but oh well. I guess its really only about 2 weeks.

The guy may have been gone at the light, but Ondonti cought him by 1/8 mile! His car was the crowd fav of the night! Props to Ondonti! Car sounded like it was going to take flight!

Any Pacific Raceway runs this year?

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bansheenut420 View Post
    The guy may have been gone at the light, but Ondonti cought him by 1/8 mile! His car was the crowd fav of the night! Props to Ondonti! Car sounded like it was going to take flight!
    Congrats Ondonti... Been a long time coming!!! Nice to finally run a car you've been working so long on!!!

Crowd favorite is a fun experience... Lots of mifffed looks from the mustang/camaro crowd.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bn880 View Post
    Simon's van!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Simon's van!

Oh, your sooooooo funny, at least mine ran,

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Simon's van!
    Bwahahahahahahaha

Ahhhhh...that was teh funny.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

turbo addict

Any Pacific Raceway runs this year?
    No, I'm flying to Seattle next week.
    I think next year if I make the law school here I will try to trailer my car up to Seattle in the summer.

I pulled the motor trans today. Last night I wanted to go for 1 last spin and I now have 2 more injector wires shorting on themselves somewhere in the harnesses (4 & 6 FLOODING!!!). Couldnt find it so I gave up since I had to pull the motor anyways.

When I drained the trans oil it was like someone had dumped silver glitter in the transmission.
    Hope the OBX is okay.
    I think this is a sign that the reverse idler gear is dead.
    I was trying to get it pulled out in the 100 deg sun + driveway so my trans guy could pick it up but he had gone home early when I finished @ 4:30 (about 2 hours of work).

Im thinking of going with the 3.50 final drive. the longer 3.77 gears except using the longer 3.29 1st gear from my 3.50 trans.

Anyone have a jeep 4.0 TPS and pigtail?
    I want to put the motor back in the car with the custom intake manifold and have a working TPS (in the chrysler voltage range)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    Congrats Ondonti... Been a long time coming!!! Nice to finally run a car you've been working so long on!!!

Crowd favorite is a fun experience... Lots of mifffed looks from the mustang/camaro crowd.
    since this is high elevation those cars all run 15's and 16's anyways lol

turbo addict

Well Im cobbling together a transmission with my OBX.
    Transmission rebuilder flaked out and had my transmissions in the back of his truck for 3 weeks untouched.
    Got them back yesterday and I went to work swapping 3.77 ring gears and having a friend drill and tap an oil drain for my spare trans.

The 3.50 trans that lost the bearing......well its got some damage done thats for sure. there was about an inch of metal on the magnet after only 100 miles (it croaked after about 80 miles)

Pulled apart this spare 70k trans and almost no metal on the magnet. Wee.

Im going to just swap the differential carrier housings that have been shimed for the OBX into the good trans. I know thats not a good practice but there is only about a month left in the racing season

Going back together with RPW (austrailia) cam gears and my custom intake manifold.

The worst thing for me now is that I have to get the clutch rebuilt with a large imput shaft hub
    I hope that doesnt take too long when I go to the six states clutch rebuilder in salt lake Monday.

I think Im gonna set the cams advanced 6 degrees (currently the stock cam gears are retarded 2 degrees).
    My hp peak is probalby 500-600 rpms higher then my rev limiter so...

I figure I can dial in a lot of cam advance and lose ZERO top end because that fictional top end is well above my rev limiter so it is a non issue.
    Rev limiter issue and complete EMS is an issue for the fall/winter.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

man, after what seems like forever of talking to brent about this long-toothed project, i get offline for a month and now hes got times and everything. 107@5psi thats significantly faster than the other turbo 3.0 setups ive read about that usually trap ~100 @5psi at low elevation. a lot to be said for your setup considering you are still running stock 3.0 ecu iirc.

got pics of car the way it looked on raceday or thereabout? all ive seen is on stands with the intercooler hanging out of the front, heh.

congrats

turbo addict

whats the rev limit your going for later when you get the MS on?

turbo addict

7000ish. Depends one valve float or lifter collapse I guess. Seems to be pretty untested territory.
    I know I can make power above 7k but frank will tell you the valvetrain needs work for 7.5k.
    I think my threshold is well below that because of my cams. Of course, its still untested by anyone who actually shares information.

Forgive the logo on the picture. I didnt take the picture or post it on the internet. Bansheenuts camera. I wish he had been able to find the battery for his camcorder.

I want 110+ on 5psi @ high elevation.
    Got a crapload of work to do and I dont think Im breaking the sabbath this week :P

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast