Thread: P-body window track question

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

P-body window track question

The passenger's side window in my '89 CSX has come loose at the back. It looks like there was a rivet going through a hole at the edge of the window holding it in place in the track. It looks really hard or impossible to get at. On the other hand, there must be some way to replace a side window, surely?

Re: P-body window track question

Hey Dave!

I just went through this dilemma when I was trying to get a set of window scrapers off of a car at the junkyard. Ultimately, I had to break the windows in order to get to them (first ones I ever had to, don't want to do it again either, too many cuts on my arms after!)

From what I can see, the windows are pop riveted from the outter part of the door through the glass itself. From what I've heard from a couple of guys, one must drill out that rivet in order to replace it and get it off of the track. This is why in my 89 CSX I feel the owner's gave up on fixing the window, as it is nonfunctional whatsoever.

I hope that helps. Whatever you do, do not try to pry at the beige looking plastic circle that the rivet comes through the glass. It doesn't pop off!

The rivet is gone; it fell out when the window came loose. After what you said and thinking about it some more, I think maybe I understand what's wrong. That part that the rivet goes through--does it pop out of the track? Right now it is still in the track, and it's the window glass (hole included) that's loose. Maybe I need to pop the other piece out of the track and replace or re-rivet it, then pop it (with glass) back in?

Hybrid booster

Yeah its a rivet. There is a plastic guide that is riveted to the glass. This guide runs in a channel in the weatherstripping. It keeps the glass from falling towards the front of the car.

I'm not sure if there is an easier way other than basically taking the whole door apart.

I hope the person that designed the P body windows has retired because this was not one of his better designs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMotorsports View Post
    I'm not sure if there is an easier way other than basically taking the whole door apart.

I hope the person that designed the P body windows has retired because this was not one of his better designs.
    You mean no easier way to take the guide out?

Yeah, let's find that guy and make him work on our cars.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by CSX321 View Post
    You mean no easier way to take the guide out?

Yeah, let's find that guy and make him work on our cars.
    David the Chrysler service manual makes no mention of this guide but does show it in the parts explosion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0088.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	381.4 KB 
ID:	4964  

Hmm. Okay, thanks. I have a clearer idea of what's wrong with it now.

if you need to get a new rivet clip thing its pn 4339372 $4.20 at your local dealer (and no i dont mean smoke weed at the dealership)

Thanks, everybody. It's looking like it is something I will be able to fix.

I've had these things wear out in most of my P-bodies. Happened to my CSX last summer. The guide is such that it snaps into the channel and stays there. With enough force, you can pop them out.

JY tip: if you roll the window down about 1/2 way, stick a flat screwdriver in the channel just above the glass the pry it open. Then roll the window up a bit so the guide is in the widened part of the channel and then push down hard on the front of the glass. It will pop-out of the channel.

The plastic guide broke on mine, so I made a new one out of some sheet aluminum. It was a bit of trial and error to get the "bump" to be the right shape so that it is big enough to stay in, but not so big that you can't get it in. I used clear silicone to pad the aluminum from the glass and pop-riveted it in. Had worked great since.

If the plastic guide is not damaged, you can probably reuse it. Mine was trashed. If you use clear silicone between the guide and the glass before you rivet it, it will probably keep it from flexing and keep the guide in the track.