Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic trans help

Garrett booster

Automatic trans help

89 daytona shelby 2.5L, innercooler, 1800bpu trans cooler, G vaulve set to 14psi, 2.5" turbo back mandrel bent exaust no cat, and 22" slicks. Fully loaded full street trim.

I'm doing 4000 rpm, and 10 to 12 psi break launches. This is the first time that it has done this, but after racing all day with slicks for the first time, I was on my way home. . . (litterally across the street from the track) And I noticed the car was acting up, it felt as if the car was in neutral and didn't want to move, but it wasn't it was in drive. I would step on the gas to go and it would rev up and move slower then a turtle!!!! It would catch on after a bit, but still felt slow. And it's also starting to take a long time to shift and feels like something's slipping a bit while driving. There's no smell or anything, and it's not smoking either. The tranny fluid seems fine too.

If there is any info you can give me or any help on the situation, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you muchly

Shelby~babe!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Automatic trans help

If the fluid is full and red, then it sounds like its just slipping. Usually when the TC's go, the fluid goes black and stinky. I have a good used trans here and a brand new stock TC if you need them.

Let it cool down and see what happens and put a big tranny cooler on it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

My $$'s on the TC being bad... junk @ss Chrysler auto trans's...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hybrid booster

Mine is doing the same as yours. Slips a little then engages.

Where and who makes good tc's that are not outlandish on price - perfomrance based for street and strip?

I like to upgrade it this winter for next year. Will let it ride for now since fluid and all was changed in the last couple hundred miles.

Garrett booster

Well I cheacked the fluid last night and it was still pink. And also I let the car COOL down alot last night, and then took it for a drive and that's when it was having troubles switching gears, and felt like something was slipping. Simmon how much are you going to let that TC go for? Ray really wants me to change the car to a standard. But I just don't want to do to many changes to the car, cause I've noticed everytime Ray changes things on his. . something goes terriably wrong. LOL. Love you hunny! After the car has been sitting all night I'm going to take it for drive to tim hortons and see how she acts up. If it's just the TC is that all I need to fix. . I don't need a new tranny?

Thanks for all your info boys!

Oh and another thing I noticed with the slicks was that, when I was doing my burnt out. . I wasn't spinning both tires at the same time like it would go from one to the other and sometime I would only do a one tire burn out. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it wasn't doing that before I got the slicks. . .

Shelby~ babe

turbo addict

it could be the bands thoough. Is it doing it in every gear or only between/in certain ones?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

Noo it holds between shifts.

I just took for a drive and it wasn't AS bad as last night but it still was acting up.

turbo addict

sounds like the TC then...

turbo addict

Switch it to 5 speed. Took less than a weekend in the Shadow and I had no idea what I was doing. They are lighter and way more fun. Unless ure scared to drive stick other than Rays.....

turbo addict

For bandaiding sick trannies, I swear by that "Lucas Transmission Fix" stuff. Got a tempo with a slipping tranny, put that stuff in, and it's survived 60,000km so far.

It's possible it may actually "fix" it in the sense that if there's an internal seal leaking making pressure low somewhere, then it could swell the seal and restore pressure fixing the slip. Also has friction lining conditioners to get a little bit more out of them.

So if you need to drive it around and can't get into it for a while you might wanna take a chance on that.

Garrett booster

I know it has already been said but thats definatly the torque converter my 88 baron did the same thing. It will move slowly and then catch for a bit but after a while you wont have anything. Do a 5 speed swap or build up good auto.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby~Babe View Post
    Well I cheacked the fluid last night and it was still pink. And also I let the car COOL down alot last night, and then took it for a drive and that's when it was having troubles switching gears, and felt like something was slipping. Simmon how much are you going to let that TC go for? Ray really wants me to change the car to a standard. But I just don't want to do to many changes to the car, cause I've noticed everytime Ray changes things on his. . something goes terriably wrong. LOL. Love you hunny! After the car has been sitting all night I'm going to take it for drive to tim hortons and see how she acts up. If it's just the TC is that all I need to fix. . I don't need a new tranny?

Thanks for all your info boys!

Oh and another thing I noticed with the slicks was that, when I was doing my burnt out. . I wasn't spinning both tires at the same time like it would go from one to the other and sometime I would only do a one tire burn out. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it wasn't doing that before I got the slicks. . .

Shelby~ babe

The TC is $125. It could be the TC is going, mine acted funny then the fluid went black and stinky.

Does it feel like its stuck in one gear, I mean it doesn't feel like an auto, just a one speed car?

What happens when you brake/torque it, what rpm can you get out of it?

Dog leg burnouts are the norm, try shimming the drivers side sway bar other than that, try not to do them, I have pics of what happens,

You need a LSD or OBX diff, I can put that in for you,

A good TC costs money, looking at around $3-$400 but this isn't a part you should skimp on if your going to be beating on it consistantly. I got a few years out of my stock one before I upgraded.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The TC is $125. It could be the TC is going, mine acted funny then the fluid went black and stinky.

Does it feel like its stuck in one gear, I mean it doesn't feel like an auto, just a one speed car?

What happens when you brake/torque it, what rpm can you get out of it?

Dog leg burnouts are the norm, try shimming the drivers side sway bar other than that, try not to do them, I have pics of what happens,

You need a LSD or OBX diff, I can put that in for you,

A good TC costs money, looking at around $3-$400 but this isn't a part you should skimp on if your going to be beating on it consistantly. I got a few years out of my stock one before I upgraded.
    When I first get going it feels like it's stuck, when I took it for a drive this morning it red lined before it switched shifts and it's NEVER done that before. And I break lauch at 3000 to 4000 rpm

I'm looking into getting a GOOD race TC cause I've never drivin a standard and I don't want to waste the rest of my season cause I can't drive . . then I'll have all winter to learn how to drive standard

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Switch it to 5 speed. Took less than a weekend in the Shadow and I had no idea what I was doing. They are lighter and way more fun. Unless ure scared to drive stick other than Rays.....
    I would switch to 5spd also, fairly simple parts wise. Plenty of donors for parts in the yards too. Try to get an a555. You should get better gas mileage. Dude are you lighting a bowl in you avatar? lol

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    I would switch to 5spd also, fairly simple parts wise. Plenty of donors for parts in the yards too. Try to get an a555. You should get better gas mileage. Dude are you lighting a bowl in you avatar? lol
    I do have an A555

I guess you don't know who my bf is LOL

I want to switch to a 5speed after I'm done racing tho

Hybrid booster

Question on the conversion.

Do oyu need a new 5 speed computer or will an auto computer work?

I have a donor 5 speed omni 1990 - but need to find a 555 to do a swap.

thanks

i hear the auto comuter idles a couple hundred high, i guess you to need to wire up the back up light switch too, not sure how that goes

Garrett booster

No you can run an auto computer with a 5 speed but you can't run a 5 speed computer with a auto car

Hybrid booster

Cool.... That helps out!

Got a socketed smec coming in the mail so I guess I can get a custom tune to help if I went to stick.

I understand a 535 will eat itself with any real power - is that true?

I plan on getting my omni into the low 13's maybe 12's next spring.

Garrett booster

Either put in a A555 or a 90+ 568 or 523

get ride of the 535!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast