View Poll Results: Should I paint my GLHS?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It would look much better.

25 69.44%
  • No. It's an original car and should be kept original.

11 30.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with my 1987 GLHS

turbo addict

What to do with my 1987 GLHS

I own a car that drives me nuts. It has around 50,300 original miles on it. I haven't put 200 miles on it since SDAC-12. I'm more into fast cars than I am restored cars at this point in my life. The only reason I keep it is because I know I'd regret it if I ever sold it. Here it is: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263503.

It's getting to the point where I need to do some stuff to it. Some of the light grey interior plastic discolored in places while I had it stored in a friend's garage. I plan to redye those pieces and install a new headliner. Other than that, the interior looks great. It needs some detailing under the hood. I'm going to pull the engine and tranny and degrease/detail them. I'm also going to put in a new clutch and fix all the leaks while they are out.

Here's my dilemna: I want to repaint the car, but I don't think I should. It has mostly factory paint on it. If you look at the car, you might think it looks rough around the edges as far as the paint goes. But, if you consider it is black Chrysler paint from the 1980's, it looks great. A car is only original once, but the paint drives me crazy.

What do you think?
    Last edited by GLHS592; 07-10-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: What to do with my 1987 GLHS

As you know, ya gotta make up your mind about what'll make you happy.

Do you want a modified car, or a stock car?
    Are you keeping it for future value, or for present fun and satisfaction?
    Future value - leave it alone. Do nothing.

If you're gonna pull the trans and do the clutch and detail it out, but then do nothing but park it, then why bother?

If you want to fix stuff and paint it and detail it out - because that makes you happy, then go for it. But, if you're gonna do that, then why not drive it for a while first? - you'll be (pretty much) fixing the wear and tear anyway.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Kevin your decision on the exterior paint is same one i am considering, do you give up the "originality factor" for a much nicer paint job (no such thing as nice original paint on any 80's mopar).

unlike those super-high dollar collector cars, i really do not think original paint plays much of a factor in the value of a glhs, a small amount yes but not a lot considering even a perfect glhs isnt worth much.

i have decided to do a full-blown resto on my glhs in 2011 on the 25th anniversery. done correctly, a high quality full exterior restoration (say $8K in parts and labor) will really make your car special..........of course i would not advise this expenditure if your short range plans are to sell it.

I definately don't envy the decision you're faced with Kevin. It's a really good example of why I've tried to stay away from the numbered cars. I tend to agree with John though. It's your car, so pick the option that you feel best about.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    It's a really good example of why I've tried to stay away from the numbered cars.
    The crazy thing is I'm thinking about picking up 1987 CSX #296 because it's such a good deal and has ALL of its Shelby specific parts.

turbo addict

paint it... make it look as pristine as possible. That's what people will really appreciate. I doubt our cars will ever make it to Barrett-Jackson...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

If you paint it do it right. Don't half-a$$ any of it. If you don't paint it take good care of what you have. Both are good options.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    If you paint it do it right. Don't half-a$$ any of it.
    Then it won't be factory correct. Do you actually think I'd half --- it?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    but the paint drives me crazy.

I think you answered your own question. (I voted to paint it anyways).

Also if you do not plan on selling it, then, who cares if the paint is original or not. Just my $.02

turbo addict

Part of me wants it to look the best it can. The other part of me wants it to remain original, which isn't terrible.

I'm just going to detail the engine bay, redye the light grey interior parts, and go from there.

Pick up the CSX, that looks like it would be a good year or two project. That will give you time to decide which way you want to go with the GLHS.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    ...redye the light grey interior parts...
    There you go.... all true originality.. gone.... I voted re-paint and this confirms it!...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    (no such thing as nice original paint on any 80's mopar).
    Not true, take THIS!

Hybrid booster

wow! shocking. an original 80's paint. how'd you do that? As for Kevin & GLHS 592, honestly I looked at the pics & it doesn't look bad at all. Personally I would keep the original paint, but it's one of those things where it's your car & ultimately you gotta do what you think is best.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeglht View Post
    As for Kevin & GLHS 592, honestly I looked at the pics & it doesn't look bad at all. Personally I would keep the original paint, but it's one of those things where it's your car & ultimately you gotta do what you think is best.
    Well, you know how cars can look much better in pictures. The paint is thin. I also put a big scratch on the passenger side door with my floor jack handle. I also messed up the beltline decal on the right corner of the nose. The worst thing that ever happened to the car was the restoration of my Shelby Charger. The GLHS picked up all kinds of scratches while it was sitting around and being moved in and out of the garage while spraying the Shelby Charger.

Hybrid booster

Oh yes, I do know how that is. My GLHT doesn't look too good in person, but really good in pictures. As long as you're happy with it I guess it doesn't matter.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

if you havent put 200 miles on it in 5 years and it isnt a high dollar collectors car, id sell it and put the cash into making faster, less rare machines and let someone else worry about its originality. i say put the cash into making a RWD charger like youve talked about.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    if you havent put 200 miles on it in 5 years and it isnt a high dollar collectors car, id sell it and put the cash into making faster, less rare machines and let someone else worry about its originality. i say put the cash into making a RWD charger like youve talked about.
    Oh, I've thought about this. In fact, the guy I bought it from would like to have it back. The problem with that is I've become attached to the car over the years. I hear all kinds of stories about people that regret the day they sold a car. I know I'd kick myself years from now if I sold it. My wife would have a fit if I sold it too. The last time I talked about selling the car, she got pretty irritated.

The reason I haven't driven it much in the last 5 years is due to being too busy. I helped a buddy build a Porsche Spyder replica, rebuilt my Shelby Charger, got married, and lived in an apartment for a year with everything I own in storage. The only thing keeping me from driving it now is the fact that I'd have to take off from work to go get a license plate.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

yeah I hear ya. im still kicking myself for trading my 88 fiero for my taurus SHO. id love to drop a 2.4 and a 555 or 568 in a fiero. those trannies arent that different than the fiero trans. shoudnt be that bad of a swap. hehe

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Personally, I never understood what was so great about keeping a car 100% original. If it looks good, who cares? Paint it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast