Thread: starter motor swap, L-body

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

starter motor swap, L-body

Hey all, I'm swapping in an A523 into my "85" Charger and I read somewhere that you need to use a newer starter because of the way they bolt on to the bell housing. I know I have seen this before but I cant find it. Can someone help?
    thanks, jeff1234
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

turbo addict

Re: starter motor swap, L-body

I don't know about a 523 in a Charger. I am using the stock starter in my 520 equiped Charger. I had to buy a couple nuts and bolts to make it work.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nope, all 2.2/2.5 starters interchange. Some are bolted up differently but can be made to work, not a big deal. A good starter to get is the smaller gear reduction Nippo starter,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Kevin and Simon, Thanks for the reply. I have my regular 85 starter and two starters from 89 or 90 turbo vans. I assume these are the gear reduction starters mentioned. Is this correct? If so, I will have them checked out to verify that they work and then install one of them.
    As an aside, I just got the transaxle out of my Charger. I recently ran the car hard and it stopped moving forward. I speculated that I had broken the input shaft, but had heard no mechanical noises. What I found was interesting. The disk material facing the pressure plate had totally disintegrated into furry fibers. There was no solid material, no chunks in the bell housing, nothing. Ive been around cars awhile, but I've never seen that. Anyway, it is what it is so I thought I would pass it along. The only symptom preceeding this failure was clutch slippage when changing to higher gears under power, for example a very rapid shift between first and second and so on. It was a mystery for a period of time, but no longer. The pressure plate was made in Korea, the disk had no markings. Junk!!
    jeff1234
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

The Nippo is small, no paint and looks like it belongs in a Honda, it also has the solenoid tucked down block side with its own heat shield. The Bosch unit is black and looks like a small block Chevy starter with the solenoid on top that gets nuked by the turbo.

Yeah, seen that happen before, its usually caused by abuse or just plain worn out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Simon, As long as I have the trans out, should I replace the rear main seal? The engine has 116000 miles on it but doesn't show any signs of leakage or damage.
    jeff1234

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Simon, As long as I have the trans out, should I replace the rear main seal? The engine has 116000 miles on it but doesn't show any signs of leakage or damage.
    jeff1234
    Yeah< I've done that 'as long as it's out replace the seal' trick. You know what happened?? It leaked like a sieve after that! May work for others but not for me.

Talked to my brother (who spent years reparing parking lot sweeper trucks that have about 100 the 'main seal' style seals on them) about it and he said if the area where the seal is riding on the shaft is grooved (aren't they all after any kind of miles) do not let the new seal line up in that old groove, insert it a little less (or more if possible) so that it rides on virgin metal. My brother knows some stuff too bad he is a 5X a day stoner

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

I replaced the rear main seal in my GLHT when I had the trans out. Ive never had any issues, but it was a bugger to get back together. Just be sure you use some anaerobic sealer on everything before you put it back together.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    jeff1234

I would say yes, as you know Murhpy and his damn Law,

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Real early starters Had all the bolts/nuts go on from the back side, had to be under the car to remove them pretty much. I think they stopped that in '85 or '86. The old starters do work on the newer trannies though, w/ a bit of work (installing the stud, threading the top hole etc)

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Real early starters Had all the bolts/nuts go on from the back side, had to be under the car to remove them pretty much. I think they stopped that in '85 or '86. The old starters do work on the newer trannies though, w/ a bit of work (installing the stud, threading the top hole etc)
    Exactly, the 85 and older transmissions had threaded holes where the starter attaches and all the starter bolts came through from the backside, a pain to get to.

The 86 and newer transmissions had non-threaded holes and the starter itself was threaded for a bolt and a stud coming in from the tranny side and just one bolt coming though on the back into the trans. It's a lot nicer putting a starter into an 86up vehicle.

You can easily use an 85 starter with a newer trans, just need to use a bolt with a nut on the end for the top two fasteners. That's what I've done on my GLH-T.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hello All. Thanks so very much for all of your responses. You guys are awesome. At this point, based on your advise, my decision is to leave well enough alone. Here's my thinking: 1) I looked the seal area over, I had just replaced the pan gasket without realizing that the rear seal housing would be involved. (did the pan before the t-axle was out.) It looks as though I would need to remove the pan again. 2) I'm somewhat lazy when faced with re-work, LOL! 3) Wear on the crank journal where the seal rides is unavoidable, so the possibility of poor sealing in that area exists. 4) If it leaks, I will throw some seal repair chemicals in the pan. I have actually had sucess in this area with a 93 Villager that I owned. It didn't stop leaking immmediately, but stopped completely by about 5000 miles.
    So there yah go, done deal, thanks again. jeff1234

You don't need to remove the retainer to replace the rear main seal. I have never seen a groove worn enough to cause a leak and most aftermarket seals are made slightly differently to prevent a leak from small grooves.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

As I recall, on my 85 GLHT, when I swapped out the big mopar starter for the smaller later starter, I had to drill out the threads in the hole in the bell housing. That is, with the old starter the bolt came through the flange in the starter and threaded into the bellhousing. With the later starter it is the reverse, the bolt comes through from the outside of the bellhousing (under the air box side) and threads into the starter. There was no room for an electric drill motor to get down there so I used a right angle die grinder. So, I lied, I really didn't drill the threads out.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

JohnL, hmmmmm, I wonder what you meant by that? LOL
    Simon, Thanks, Now I believe I will replace that seal, if it can be changed without removing the retainer. I have always done that on any other car I have had, but like I said, I'm lazy when it comes to rework. Viola!! this isn't rework, so I give myself permission to do the change. Aint life grand?
    jeff1234

Hey all, The seal change was a no brainer. Just as was stated, the retainer doesnt have to come off.
    jeff1234