Thread: New intercooler and extras!

Hybrid booster

New intercooler and extras!

I thought long and hard about buying an "Ebay" intercooler and finally broke down and bought one. Here she be!

It came with nice T-bolt clamps, 4 ply silicone connectors, and stainless steel intercooler tubing (for a GN).

The silicone connectors look nice but I probably won't use them because they are blue... The tubing has lots of bends that will be useful for piping the intercooler into my R/T. The bends are mandrel but not extremely perfect, but still very nice and the piping isn't super thin like I would have expected.

The intercooler itself is pretty nice, judging by the weight it's not as dense as the Spearco (but maybe I have more muscle than a year ago... haha ). It still looks decent with pretty nice welds. I was really nervous what the core would look like inside, but it looks very close to the Spearco. The cast end tanks are not the greatest with lots of pits on the inside, but not really a huge deal. The welding also melted some of the fins (as shown in the one pic), I don't think this should be anything to worry about it just doesn't look as nice as the Spearco. As shown it is fully polished, but I will most likely be painting the end tanks black.

Overall I am pretty impressed.

-Ryan

Re: New intercooler and extras!

I really like that style cooler and have been considering something similar for my R/T. Got a link to any more from that seller? Also, I'm kind of curious about the step down in the tanks. Most of them that I've seen have either held the same size all the way across or gradually tapered down. I wonder how that will affect flow?
    Thanks,
    Tony

Hybrid booster

Ebay Grand National Intercooler

Here is one with a better description, but I don't think it comes with all the extras...

Another Ebay Intercooler

Hybrid booster

The step down is pretty minimal, I don't see it affecting flow to much other than possibly helping guide the flow into the core. A gradual slope would probably be more ideal though.

Thanks!

Here's the one I've been looking at.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...QQcmdZViewItem
    You can see what I'm talking about with the difference in the tanks.
    The one you got definately looks like the better deal though. From the pictures, it looks like everything a person would need to hook it up with some modification to the pipes.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Thanks!

Here's the one I've been looking at.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...QQcmdZViewItem
    You can see what I'm talking about with the difference in the tanks.
    The one you got definately looks like the better deal though. From the pictures, it looks like everything a person would need to hook it up with some modification to the pipes.
    I looked at that one too. It's just like the Spearco but bigger! That one is also missing the tapped mounting tabs that the Spearco and some other knock offs have. Probably a really nice unit though! I love my Spearco in my other R/T.

I'll probably end up going with one like that, but getting the hard pipes with the cooler really makes the one you got appealing.
    I always end up getting in a hurry after I get a cooler, and slap it on with some nasty looking exhaust bends and rubber hose rather than wait for pipes and couplers to ship.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    I'll probably end up going with one like that, but getting the hard pipes with the cooler really makes the one you got appealing.
    I always end up getting in a hurry after I get a cooler, and slap it on with some nasty looking exhaust bends and rubber hose rather than wait for pipes and couplers to ship.
    Yeah the pipes and T-bolt clamps are what made me buy this one, and the price.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Not bad at all. When you put it on, don't change your boost setting and see what happens.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Not bad at all. When you put it on, don't change your boost setting and see what happens.
    I don't remember what the boost settings were... I think I set it around 12-14lbs with the 57 trim.

One of the intercooler pipes is an EXCELLENT fit and the others just need to be choped up a little. The large bracket on the intercooler is WAY to big for how I plan to mount it and hangs far below the radiator support. Other than that should be easy to put in! Now if I would only order up a damn clutch I could drive this car... haha