Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R/T Project

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

R/T Project

Been gathering stuff for the R/T for a while now, just need a turbo and I can get it all together.

Head went out to Lonewolf for the crack to be fixed. Had them rebuild the head, do a "performance" valve job, and tap and plug that hole on the surface. They also just finished up my stage 1 cams. I still think I am going to clean up the ports a little bit, just enough to make them round.

Motor came out running just fine, but I figured it was time for a few upgrades. So I took it over to a local shop.

Forged Venolias
    File fit sealed power rings
    ARP rod bolts and main studs
    Mehling high volume oil pump
    Cryo I-Shaft
    Removed balance shafts
    Brass freze plugs
    Radiused all the oil holes
    Shot peened rods
    Fully balanced and blue printed
    Obviously new bearings all throughout

I hope they did it all correctly!

Last edited by Turbo224; 12-30-2010 at 03:36 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Project Pics

looks good, keep going.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Looks great! How much did it cost at the machine shop to have the work done? I have a TIII shortblock here I was going to use until I found it had 1/8" crankwalk and chipped I-shaft bushings.

Hybrid booster

Very pretty. I kind of like the cast iron paint colored paint on the black rather than the standard black.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Looks great! How much did it cost at the machine shop to have the work done? I have a TIII shortblock here I was going to use until I found it had 1/8" crankwalk and chipped I-shaft bushings.
    I think I am into the whole short block right around $1600. I was planning on it being a little cheaper than just buying one from Cindy, but I spent a little extra on having it balanced ($150). Plus I really wanted to keep my original motor in the car instead of sending it back to cindy as a core.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH View Post
    Very pretty. I kind of like the cast iron paint colored paint on the black rather than the standard black.
    Thanks. I use that stuff on everything. It's called "Stovebright" and is techically made for stoves and bbqs! Although on the back of the can it says "also great for headers, motors, manifolds etc..." Its super high heat resistant, dries really fast, and sticks to anything. And you cant tell in the picture, but in the sun it has a lot of metel flake in it so its has a cool shine.

Hybrid booster

that looks exactly like the goodson cast paint i used, looks super clean and dries fast. excuse my ignorance, but what is the nipple for on the front of the block?

edit heres mine

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shelby zed View Post
    that looks exactly like the goodson cast paint i used, looks super clean and dries fast. excuse my ignorance, but what is the nipple for on the front of the block?

edit heres mine
    Nipple is an oil drainback from the pcv system.

Well, I had a little time today while I was waiting for the exhaust to get put on the omni. I decided I would try to polish up the stock cam gears for the R/T and get them looking a little better. I didn't spend as much time as I probably should have, but they look a lot better than before. I also installed the Stage 1 cams in there. I will get the rocker assembly on there tomorrow and at least the head will be ready to go on the block when ever I get all the little stuff back on that.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Looking good...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Well, I am still plugging along. It seems like this project is actually slowing down now the closer I get to having it together. I really need an oil pan right now, and then I can get the head put on. But atleast the short block is ready to go.

Still need to order my turbo, a ceramic four puck disc, and finish porting my exhaust manifold.

Here are a few more pics from my build. I have been trying to finish porting my exhaust manifold, but here are a few mid progress pictures.

I am kind of lame about the little details on my car, so I have spent a ton of time sand blasting parts, and repainting them. Here is a pile of them waiting to go back on the motor.

I mocked everything up here just to make sure I remembered how everything goes back on.

After I get a new oil pan, I will install the head and do the final assembly of all the accessories and stuff. I can actually see light at the end of the tunnel...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Everything looks awesome What kind of paint did you use for the black accessory parts? Are you leaving the aluminum parts raw finish?

turbo addict

Absolutely amazing man. Hope you get the power you are looking for.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Absolutely amazing man. Hope you get the power you are looking for.

Meh, he only needs to make 250WHP or so, it's going in an L body

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Meh, he only needs to make 250WHP or so, it's going in an L body
    Actually, this one is going in my IROC R/T. The GLHS motor is still sitting in my other wrecked R/T.

As for the finishing of the other stuff, I used a cheapo harbor freight sand blaster to clean everything. On my first attempt on the black stuff, I primed everything, then coated them with about three coats of gloss black, and then cleared them. After looking at the pieces, I decided I didn't like the gloss look. So I sanded them all down and used a semi-gloss black with a clear coat to seal it. I really like the look of th semi gloss so it will stay that way. All the nuts and bolts went through the same process. If I was rich I would have just powder coated everything. As for the aluminum stuff, I really like the look of clean raw aluminum, but it gets dirty really easy. I am experimenting with clear coating them to see how they turn out. In the picture, the a/c bracket has been cleared. I just hope it will help keep some of the greese and dirt from sticking to the parts. I did however paint the ower steering pump bracket black even though it shouldn't be. It will hide it back there much better.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Looks about the way mine is coming along (except slowly)

Bet you cannot wait for it to be going down the road.

Guess you and I can't afford to powder coat every nut and bolt. I was told to use engine enamel for the brackets and gizmos because it gets real tough after the engine bay has seen a few heat cycles. What I found recently, is that the Duplicolor caliper paint seems to be pretty darn stout for a spray can paint. Almost as hard as the k-frame and control arms I had sprayed with dupont professionaly. Dowside is the caliper paint is like $6.50 a can.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Looks about the way mine is coming along (except slowly)

Bet you cannot wait for it to be going down the road.

Guess you and I can't afford to powder coat every nut and bolt. I was told to use engine enamel for the brackets and gizmos because it gets real tough after the engine bay has seen a few heat cycles. What I found recently, is that the Duplicolor caliper paint seems to be pretty darn stout for a spray can paint. Almost as hard as the k-frame and control arms I had sprayed with dupont professionaly. Dowside is the caliper paint is like $6.50 a can.
    I have been working on this for so long that I am not that crazy about it right now. I have a ton going on now so even when it gets back together I wont have a lot of time to mess with it. Next spring will be really fun though. Before it goes back together it will have a 50 trim and a rebuild 568 with a quiafe so it should be a load of fun when it gets back on the road. I have three other motor swaps/ installs to do after this one, so it will mostly be nice to have one of the four done and running.

As for the caliper paint, that sounds like it would be tough enough for under the hood. My only concern is that it would be too glossy. I am a big fan of the semi gloss stuff after doing my brackets. Maybe one day when I am rich I will just have it all powder coated!

Check out my Homepage

Got the head installed and torqued down and did a little bit more test fitting things. After I get the timing set I can do a final assembly. I ended up breaking down and buying some silver paint and doing almost all the bare aluminum brackets and pulleys. I dont like it very much, but it looks better than I thought it would. The pictures with the timing belt on were just taken for reference because I need to get a new belt. Sorry the pictures suck. My camera aparently doesn't like me much. I had about five more pictures that didn't come out at all.

Oh yeah, my four puck clutch disc, and some fresh powder coated valve covers and an intake manifold are in the mail. :woot:

Check out my Homepage

Gathered togeether most of the hardware I need today and did a little more mock fitting. I had some of my stock bolts plated, and then bought some ss stuff for some other pieces.

Check out my Homepage

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast