Thread: Converting a T1 log style turbo to T2

Hybrid booster

Converting a T1 log style turbo to T2

I was doing some JY prowling on the 4th, I found an '89 Daytona T1 5spd car to get some parts from for a T2 conversion. (my woody wagon).

I also found a newer Saab 9000 turbo, and got some intercooler piping off of it, nice 2" aluminum tubing with a port for a blow off valve.

The Saab had a Garret turbo A/F 42 on it, with the T2 style air intake. My question is will the center air intake piece off the Saab's turbo bolt on to the early T1 style Garret to convert it to the T2 style? Is the bolt pattern the same on all the Garrets?

Thanks for any advice!
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Converting a T1 log style turbo to T2

You would at least have to use your chrysler turbine housing because the bolt pattern on the flange is different.
    85 LeBaron GTS 03 PT Cruiser GT

the compressor side between a t2 turbo and a Saab SHOULD be the same. The turbine housings are different tho
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    the compressor side between a t2 turbo and a Saab SHOULD be the same. The turbine housings are different tho
    Do they for sure have the same compressor wheel? If not the housing would not work since they have to be machined for a certain wheel. This would be great news if they are the same wheels.

Let me see if I've got this straight. The Saab turbo has something similar to this:
    http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/index.php?cPath=111_114
    and you're wanting to know if it will bolt onto a TI Garrett?
    I can't give you a definite answer, but I can say there are some differences in the bolt pattern on the inlet for different applications.
    For example the TI Chrysler Garrett has a 3 bolt inlet while the Garrett from the 2.3 Fords has a 2 bolt.
    I can't find a pic of the Saab turbo to compare, but I'd say if it's a 3 bolt pattern, looks close, and you can get it cheap ($5 or so) then go for it. You can always slot the bolt holes or drill a new bolt pattern if you need to. If not, I'd just get the $20 one from TU.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Oh, my mistake, I did not realize that we were talking about the air inlet to the turbo.

i thought he was talking about the housing, I didn't think they had a removable piece like that.

and i'm not positive on the wheel actually. i'll have to look into it more
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Let me see if I've got this straight. The Saab turbo has something similar to this:
    http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/index.php?cPath=111_114
    and you're wanting to know if it will bolt onto a TI Garrett?
    I can't give you a definite answer, but I can say there are some differences in the bolt pattern on the inlet for different applications.
    For example the TI Chrysler Garrett has a 3 bolt inlet while the Garrett from the 2.3 Fords has a 2 bolt.
    I can't find a pic of the Saab turbo to compare, but I'd say if it's a 3 bolt pattern, looks close, and you can get it cheap ($5 or so) then go for it. You can always slot the bolt holes or drill a new bolt pattern if you need to. If not, I'd just get the $20 one from TU.
    Yeah, the link you gave is the part I was wondering about. I did not think about pulling it off while I was there....it only occurred to me the next day.
    I still need to go back for the rest of the stuff I want off the Daytona, so I'll look at it closer. The Saab had a funky intercooler with plastic end tanks . Somebody was really having fun with the Daytona, I found a tee in a vacuum line up top, but upon getting underneath, I noticed a little 'window' in the oil pan with part of a rod sticking through!
    Oh well, I only want the intake, exhaust, throttle body, injectors & fufel rail for a T2 swap.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Take the stock T1 90* turbo intake elbow, cut the flange off, cut the spigot off, weld togeather - presto, T2 turbo intake.....

If I'm reading your intentions correctly, check out
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_con.html G.P.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 3nglenn View Post
    If I'm reading your intentions correctly, check out
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_con.html G.P.
    Thanks! I have read that, but it has been awhile.

turbo addict

Spraynlog

I can sell you a TII compreessor hosuing for $35+shipping.
    It'll be a direct swap.

For the record, Saab uses 32.11 trim or 44.44 trim wheel where Dodge TI/TII uses 49 trim wheel.
    Wheel trim size = (wheel inducer x wheel inducer )/(wheel exducer x wheel exducer)
    http://web.inter.nl.net/users/turbo-...e/compress.htm