Thread: starting a motor thats been sitting for 1.5 years????????

Hybrid booster

starting a motor thats been sitting for 1.5 years????????

ipicked up a clean 2.5l T1 commen block bottum end from a buddie of mine. he said it had been sitting for about a year and a half. i tryed turning the fly wheel and it was a little hard to turn over. i'm hoping i didnt wreck anything turning it the slightest bit. the pan had been oil free the whole time as well. i turned it just enough so i can see where the rings wold have been sitting and the cyl walls look mint!
    after i get the motor in the car i'm gonna hook the dist to a drill and prime the oil systume that way. is their anything i should sprey on the cyl walls to help save the rings?

Hybrid booster

Re: starting a motor thats been sitting for 1.5 years????????

I think you should be fine just starting it up. I had a motor that was sitting in back of a van for who knows how long, probably more than 5 years. I hooked it all up and it started and ran fine.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The engine in my T2 Shadow was sitting on an engine stand complete valvecover to oil pan for almost 2 years after I took it out of the Shelby Lancer it was in. Put it in and fired it up no problem.

If you have the time, money, concern it obviously would be best to dissasemble it (include taking the head off but not taking the roatating assembly out of the block) and re-assemble it with new seals and gaskets everywhere.

If you have a little less time and money but still some concern, squirt a little oil in each spark plug hole and turn it over by hand a few times before firing it up.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

i guess i should mention it's been sitting with the head off the whole time as well.

turbo addict

Prime the lub system by turning the intermediate shaft and get the oil pumping around. You could also just put a coating of oil on the cylinder walls before you put the head on it. It will smoke a bit when you first start it, but I always do this anytime an engine has been sitting for a while. Keeps the walls from running dry for a few seconds.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Head off? Probably still ok if there is not rust on the cylinder walls

Liek ^^^ he said, oil them up to start out.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    no rust on the cylinder walls
    beeeeeeeeeeeeep (man yells) CLEAR!! THUD, beep, beep, beep. WE GOT HIM BACK! do you mean thick crusty rust? i have a engine that has been sitting about 10 years but is still together. if the walls are just brown can i just hit them with some oil?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If it hasn't been sitting with water in the bores, then just squirt some oil, penetrating oil etc and soak the walls then put it together. IF water has been there, soak and then clean off the rust, look for pitting which there most likely will be, if pitting, rebore is needed.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

im sure this isnt the most recommended method, but ive taken some scotch pad and sanded lightly at any area with a little rust

it will give it that hone like finish too

anywho i got a motor in my garage, it pulled 150 psi across the board, almost 200k miles on it....its just a shortblock and been sitting with rags covering it, no head or anything. i wouldnt hesitate to give it a quick cleaning, oil the cylinder walls, turn it over a few times, and throw it in a car and fire it up!!!!

id def pump oil through it 1st, make sure i got plently of pressure, dry starts are nasty!! knock knock knock knock!!!! all u need is a power drill, tighten the chuck onto the distributor shaft and give it helll for like 30 seconds

turbo addict

I dont recomend scotch bright products in a motor with out a good cleaning of all parts after.
    I have seen 4 good motor turn to junk because some cut corners and used scotch bright product and didn't get all of it clean.

turbo addict

I like the nearly 2 years gap between post no. 6 and 7. Way to bring back the dead.. On a pertinent note definitely always squirt lubricant in the hole. I literally heard noise when I cranked my lancers engine over manually. Not good yo. Put plenty of oil in the spark plug holes and no problems after that. My question is what do you do with an engine that has been sitting in a garage for 9 years with 90k on it that you really don't want to pull the head off of? Found a complete T1 with the turbo accessories and everything from an 85 GLH-T that was totaled. I've heard kerosene is good to use if it doesn't want to turn, but the guy said he turned it manually from time to time. I hope he has squirted oil in the cylinders during that time though.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

I sold a complete T-II engine out of an 89 daytona that was totaled with 5k on the clock to my buddy a few years ago. We dropped it in his Lebaron last year so it had been setting for 18-19 years, fired right up and runs like new. All the bolts on the engine still have the factory torque stirp on them and it set fully assembled.