Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear Wheel Drive Turbo Dodge

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Rear Wheel Drive Turbo Dodge

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    yeah it would be cool but its alot of bodywork that i suck at and have little patience for. I mean I wouldnt just throw on some flares. Id cut strips up the fenders and move the whole fender out and reweld it back together. I may be able to be a slacker and just get a wheel that has a different offset and just roll the lip. we'll see when this project gets underway.

I gotta fix the wifes car, get my daytona running well and fix the muffler on my tracker before I go all gung ho on this. but I am gathering parts right now.

Brian
    I think it would be awesome if the k-car was slammed, had nice 10" wide slicks on 14" rims with a 10mm offset that hung out say several inches pas the fender.... it would look like a mean autocross gokart then. hehehehe
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

larry makes it look easy but he is truly a master fabricator. I would venture to say that 99.99999% of people that seriously wanted to make a fwd mopar a rwd never get it done. It is a huge task and takes some serious skill. Larry is a great guy, really knows his stuff, and is extremely modest too. I really enjoyed talking with him at SDAC 15 and 17.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Garrett booster

Brian, is this rear end setup an independent or a solid rear axle? If it's a solid I think the cost of having a rear narrowed isn't as bad as you may think, my dad is a cheap-@ss when it comes to spending cash on a project car but i never heard him whine about price when he had a dana-44 posi rear narrowed to fit in his turbo buick powered opel GT... I'll have to ask him how much it cost.

Not narrowed I'm sure the car would handle good, but IMO big fender flares look like crap.

turbo addict

http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/Daytona.htm

Here is the kit. There was a thread about it before. I dont know how "crappy" it is but Im guessing for an AWD setup you would only be putting half the power through the rear.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

its independant

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

I have to agree with you Slasky. Most people never get it done and it really does take a lot of work and planning or at least excellent fab skills. I was really thinking hard of doing the same to my rusted t-top 88 shelby Z but I lost my space and had to get rid of the car. I saw a V8 powered RWD baron at the belvidere mopar happening here in IL and I think a baron would be a good candidate.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tam85 View Post
    im also planning to install spark plug wires, distributor and big-block power which i can able to convert to rear-wheel drive on my dodge vehicle.

All the threads are old threads.
    Born January 1st.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

You know just a thought... But I am a lurker on alot of hot-rod boards. I really want a hot rod.... Anyways, I've done a little reasarch on jag IRS, and it seems to be the simplist to mount and narrow out there. You can get a entire car for about 500 bucks if you do some looking. Dana 44 center section, large INBOARD discs... Just a thought.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

how strong is a dana 44?

i was considering a T-bird IRS setup and the diff is a ford 8.8. is it as strong as that?

brian

turbo addict

In the off-road world, just as strong. If one will hold up to the abuse I put my Jeep through, I would thing it would be fine in a light car. The aftermarket for a 44 is probably much larger/cheaper then a 8.8. Gears, posi's, lockers, and spools are all over. I would say its the SBC of 4wd axles..

boostaholic

the rear subframe from the new Charger looks like a nice package to bolt in, 4 mounting points supporting all the suspension, but I'm sure there will be some cutting and welding involved.

BTW, I just started helping a buddy with a RWD Daytona project (race car). I will try to do updates here but the whole build will be documented on this site
    www.crazy4carz.com pics are in the gallery and thread for the project is here.
    http://www.crazy4carz.com/forumframe9.php its under the street rod and hot rod title, look for the "new project" thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123