Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Drive Turbo Dodge

Hybrid booster

Re: Rear Wheel Drive Turbo Dodge

my uncle and i have a 60 something sunbeam that were putting the 2.4 from an srt 4 with a 6 speed and a 9 inch rear end in, should be quite fun with the stage 3 in there

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    What is the wheelbase comparison? You could almost add on to that section of the frame and weld it right into the car as bought from FFR.
    57.2 for a shadow vs 60.2 for a t-bird. so 1.5" per side wider. roll the fenders and youll be close. could section the fenders and make a widebody. charger/omni youll definitely have to do that or get shorter halfshafts and cut down the middle of that setup.

Im going to keep that t-bird stuff on the back burner for a little bit. it looks pretty compact enough that it should be do-able. I would cut the rear suspension out of a car with sawzalls and bring it home and make a jig that catches all the mount points and make a simple frame thats 3" narrower that I can easily weld into the chassis while doing some key reinforcements like tying the front "rails" into this suspension subframe and the rear "rails". then get the half shafts shortened by 1.5" each and then be all set.

I need to get a chop saw and a tubing notcher now.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Personally, if I'm going through the trouble to convert a P-body to rear-wheel drive, I'm putting a 426 Hemi under the hood.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

My thought would be to put a small block mopar v8 with twin turbos and a corvette transmission in the rear of the car.... can you say a fast, well balanced, short wheel-base shadow.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Dream project car:
    89 Daytona Shelby body, slammed in the weeds
    Back-half it,tub it
    Transplant drive train and suspension from an SRT under the hatch/ with a built 2.4
    Engine bay now houses monster IC and fuel cell.
    You now have a Rear Eng/rear drive, 4wheel independant,"super street" Daytona.
    Oh "flame thrower "exhaust to boot............ooh ooh wheelie bars too!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    heres what id love to have!

http://parts.factoryfive.com/newcatalog/chassis/irs.htm

uses all the t-bird IRS stuff.

Brian
    I've seen a similar setup for a V8 conversion in a Miata - using t-bird parts in the Miata factory hangers...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    Personally, if I'm going through the trouble to convert a P-body to rear-wheel drive, I'm putting a 426 Hemi under the hood.
    If I'm going to put a 426 Hemi in a car, I wouldn't be putting it in some $150 front drive Mopar that's been converted to rear wheel drive.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Garrett booster

Aww, c'mon! you can get a 426 dirt cheap for your beater project!

turbo addict

I've decided to keep my car like it is. However, I am in the market for a 2 door L-body roller and a 2.4 liter.

Also, does anybody know if there is a 2.4 liter to 727/904 torqueflite adapter available anywhere?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    Yeah keep the charger in one peice and find another car like a rampage or something
    I think that cutting up the charger would be a shame.

With the amount of work that would be required, it would be better to start with another shell and work from there instead of cutting up a very nice looking and running car.

Other than that, I think a RWD l-body is a banging idea.

uh oh (insert evil grin) I just got the entire rear half of a t-bird SC for FREE!!!!!! it has 60k on it but the body is pretty beat and the guy just wants the engine and trans. it is a few hundred yards from my house at a guys shop down the road. heres the crazy part (other than the free) is that I stopped cause he had a 60gal air compressor at the end of the driveway like for at the trash so I stopped to look at that and he said I could have it cause the pump is bad (stupid craftsman oil less air compressors) and i also snatched 85 ft of 20A Hubbell plugstrip. 5 foot sections with 10 individual outlets each. it was in the trash too. so then after grabbing that and noticing that he had 2 t-bird sc's I asked if he knew where to get a cheap t-bird IRS setup and:

he said - "well that car there is going to the junkyard after I pull the engine and trans"
    me - "how long before it goes?"
    him - "oh you got time lol"
    me - "sweet.... so do you care how the car goes to the JY?"
    him - "nope"
    me - "so can I chop up the rear with a sawzall and take it home?"
    him - "yup"

so I left to drop the compressor off at the house and the plugstrip (which I gave almost half to my buddy brian for his garage... i mean, I still have 45 ft! lol.

So to the net I go to find a bellhousing and a R154 trans. wish me luck. So the next RWD TD might just be a k car lol.

heres the bad news. I need cash so I have to sell a car. The car that will probably go up for sale is the V6 Kcar.... which makes me sad cause I just went for a drive in it tonight. so smooth. so nice to drive. (Frank? wanna buy it? I'll fix the tiny bit of rust first! )

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

sounds like a nice set up! i was watching stacey david's new show gearz where they put that rear end in a miata v8 swap they say it will hold up to almost anything! can't wait to see some progress!!!!

would anything from a conquest work?

turbo addict

so nobody wants to use that rwd kit that someone is still making (isnt exactly complete but...). There was a thread about it not to long ago.
    My transmission choices are not so great RWD wise but if I try some weird awd stuff (not chrysler drivetrain) I still need to set up the rear end.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    so nobody wants to use that rwd kit that someone is still making (isnt exactly complete but...). There was a thread about it not to long ago.
    What kit? Are you talking about the Mopar Performance kit? I thought it was discontinued many moons ago.

Also, does anybody know if there is a 2.4 liter to 727/904 torqueflite adapter available anywhere?
    Hey kev that guy Anthony on turbododge.com with the 2.4 turbo colt had one made, I know because I talked to him about it quite a while ago.

i think brent is talking about that kit from that company in PA.... its for a V8, has a custom K frame and stuff and is kinda expensive. I mean i will have to spend some money but im going to be making ALOT of stuff myself and I got the rear setup for free.

Now the thing I have to decide now is do I narrow the entire rear setup or do I make the fenders wider in the rear. it is 3" wider.

Brian

Widebody all tha way.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Widebody K-car would be so cool!
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

yeah it would be cool but its alot of bodywork that i suck at and have little patience for. I mean I wouldnt just throw on some flares. Id cut strips up the fenders and move the whole fender out and reweld it back together. I may be able to be a slacker and just get a wheel that has a different offset and just roll the lip. we'll see when this project gets underway.

I gotta fix the wifes car, get my daytona running well and fix the muffler on my tracker before I go all gung ho on this. but I am gathering parts right now.

Brian

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 89shelby2.4 View Post
    Hey kev that guy Anthony on turbododge.com with the 2.4 turbo colt had one made, I know because I talked to him about it quite a while ago.
    Would he have more made?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast