Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Drive Turbo Dodge

turbo addict

Rear Wheel Drive Turbo Dodge

First of all, this car http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f68/130944-few-pics-my-rwd-conversion-parts.html"]http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f68/130944-few-pics-my-rwd-conversion-parts.html"]http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f68/130944-few-pics-my-rwd-conversion-parts.html has inspired me.

I am thinking about tearing my car apart and converting it to rear wheel drive. There are a few 2.4 engines mated to a Chrysler torqueflite. Surely, somebody could fabricate the necessary adapters for me. I think it might be easier to locate a rear end in an L-body. I'm thinking that you could modify the factory rear axle for this. I'd build a cross member that would tie the stock axle mounts together. Of course, you'd have to lose the factory gas tank. Then, I'd tie into this cross member with subframe connectors. You could make the transmission hump and driveshaft tunnel easy by cutting one from a torqueflite equiped Mopar (Aspen, Diplomat, etc.). I think you could use the factory rear shocks. For the front end, I'd do something similar to that Shadow.

Am I crazy? Do you think my idea for the rear end would work? Should I leave my car alone and find a Tursimo/Charger to cut up?
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Hybrid booster

Re: Rear Wheel Drive Turbo Dodge

I talked to a guy a few years back and he said an a(?) body rear end fit under a daytona and was a little too narrow.
    [COLOR="Red"][B][I]Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world![/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]2005 Dodge Neon - *15.88@85* - Daily Driver[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]1985 Dodge Shelby Charger - Project Car[/COLOR]

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

He brought it to SDAC. It was pretty sweet.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

If you'd have gone to SDAC you would have met Larry, and seen his car in person. He does very nice work The car has a FEROCIOUS launch!

Not too keen on the link setup, should have went more triangulated on the uppers. The paralell isnt going to allow of alot of side to side movement, but if all he is doing is dragracing guess its ok. May want to look into a toyota tacoma rear end. Lots of lowrider guys use these in their impala and caddys cause they are narrower so they cant fit deep dish wheels and have been proven to handle over 300hp beleive it or not.

But he is running a solid panhard bar. It makes for a nice setup... no triangulation needed.
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

turbo addict

Dang! Larry certainly has his poop in a group on that one.

It's definitely possible to do Kevin, go get 'em!
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 20w/ashelby View Post
    I talked to a guy a few years back and he said an a(?) body rear end fit under a daytona and was a little too narrow.
    Yeah, I've been told that an A-body 8 3/4" rear end is 1"-2" shorter than the L-body rear axle. That would be perfect for wider meats out back. I'd just have to find an A-body rear end as well as an adapter to mate a 2.4 liter to a torqueflite transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    He brought it to SDAC. It was pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    If you'd have gone to SDAC you would have met Larry, and seen his car in person. He does very nice work The car has a FEROCIOUS launch!
    I know! I would love to look that car over and take some measurements.

The problem is whether to take my Shelby Charger apart for this, risking my paint job, or just building another car. I'd have to find another car to put my 8 valve stuff in if I used my Shelby Charger, so I might as well start fresh with a $150 Turismo or something.

turbo addict

Yeah keep the charger in one peice and find another car like a rampage or something

turbo addict

I'm just wondering if the factory rear axle and mounts could work with a rear end. Leaf springs may be a better idea.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

can someone post the pictures here?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

oh wow, thats just wow.

i want a rwd sundance too!
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

The daytona I saw used stock mounts beefed up a bit. he also ran leaf spring.

You might as well go all out and go IRS.
    [COLOR="Red"][B][I]Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world![/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]2005 Dodge Neon - *15.88@85* - Daily Driver[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]1985 Dodge Shelby Charger - Project Car[/COLOR]

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

a rear end can use the factory mounts but id do quite a bit of beefing to them. they werent designed for drive loads as well as suspension loads. you would then have to use a panhard rod or something like that to locate the axle from side to side or a watts linkage or something. youll need something to control axle wrap as well like a 4 link setup or something. i wouldnt bother with leafs and their inherent problems.

i myself would do thunderbird IRS. like supercoupe era stuff.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i myself would do thunderbird IRS. like supercoupe era stuff.
    I've thought about using a Ford Fox body type setup and maybe using Fox body parts.

ford fox body stuff isnt the best as the setup has alot of bind in it stock. if you are going to go to that trouble do a heim jointed 4 link. the ford is a 4 link but it needs modification to be good. the outer links would go under the axle and to the stock locations. the upper links would angle in or out to a mounting point that you would have to fabricate but then you dont need a panhard rod cause the angles and the solid heim joints eliminate side to side movement. so basically it would be like the fox body stuff but with heim joints to remove the problems that it has stock with side to side movement (soft bushings) and bind as long as your heim joints have enough angular movement.

this doesnt look too bad if all those links are heim jointed.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

heres what id love to have!

http://parts.factoryfive.com/newcatalog/chassis/irs.htm

uses all the t-bird IRS stuff.

Brian

What is the wheelbase comparison? You could almost add on to that section of the frame and weld it right into the car as bought from FFR.
    Last edited by Frank; 07-04-2007 at 02:00 PM.
    Frank Katzenberger

Hybrid booster

that thing is wicked, im inspired

Hybrid booster

For a rear-wheel drive TD I've always thought of putting a 2.4 with the RWD 6speed out of a jeep into a Conquest.

But thats if I had unlimited time/funds.
    John Brown Had a TD... '98 Neon R/T sedan... The snow whip, has knobby tires. '93 LX 5.0/5spd Not a TD, rear drive, makes cool Vee eighty sounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast