Thread: wheel spacers

Garrett booster

wheel spacers

i recently got a set of 4 wrx rims. they are 16x 6.5 and they have a 55mm offset. they fit in rear after a slight mod but the fronts rub the strut. i belive the crabs on the front have a 45mm offset so i would need a 10mm or 3/8ths spacer and longer studs. but if i want to run 225's i would need a wider spacer then that. around a inch total or something like that. that is in the front the rear seems fine with 225's on it. maybe 3/8th spacer just to widen it a lil.
    so ? is are the hub type spacers safe. and does any one use them on the front of the cars? it will be for my daily drivin rims and the track rims will not use spacer couse they will be the drag radials on the crabs.
    the car is putting around 300 whp right now maybe more and it will be getting more soon.
    like this
    eBay Motors: 25mm Wheel Spacers Adapters Subaru WRX 2.5RS RS STI 04 (item 230147638165 end time Jul-05-07 22:40:47 PDT)

Re: wheel spacers

If you ran a 25mm wheel spacer, you WILL need longer studs.

Might want to keep a few extra wheel bearings around too.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

You can get wheel spacer kits that include longer studs. I got my wheel spacers to fit my bigger slicks at http://www.ichibausa.com/

Just some extra info, if you order hubcentric spacers for a VW, they are also hubcentric for our cars.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

25mm is awefully thick! 15mm is more what you need
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

I'm not looking at the assembly right now, but when you run wheel spacers, do your wheels rest on the studs, rather than the hub?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I'm not looking at the assembly right now, but when you run wheel spacers, do your wheels rest on the studs, rather than the hub?
    The good wheel spacers are hubcentric (like the ones in the link Mike posted).

The cheap universal one size fits all spacers are not, those require the lugs to center the wheel and aren't as safe in my opinion.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Depends on the brand. I got some that use the van hub when you bolt to it but then the wheel is centered using the wheel studs, and they did a sh*t job of that so the wheels are not true. I am going to get another set that use eccentrics so this doesn't happen again.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Well here's my dilemma that I'll just post here instead of another thread.

I'm running stock hubs, and am putting in extended wheel studs.

Wheels, the center hub/hole whatever you want to call it is a tad smaller than the hub (they're Subie wheels).

What's the recommendation here?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Have a machine shop bore out the hole or carefully do it yourself with a die grinder. I'd go for the first one.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    Might want to keep a few extra wheel bearings around too.
    that's what I was thinking. if you run that much offset as a DD you are going to murder your wheel bearings.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

thats not true. once you space the wheel out with the spacer, it ends up being the same as stock. if you ran something with like 30 or 35 AND ran spacers it would make a difference in that sense, but 55mm- spacer=stock wheel to hub relationship, in this case.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    You can get wheel spacer kits that include longer studs. I got my wheel spacers to fit my bigger slicks at http://www.ichibausa.com/

Just some extra info, if you order hubcentric spacers for a VW, they are also hubcentric for our cars.
    Hey mike, got a link to the 15mm kit/studs that you got??

bill

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    thats not true. once you space the wheel out with the spacer, it ends up being the same as stock. if you ran something with like 30 or 35 AND ran spacers it would make a difference in that sense, but 55mm- spacer=stock wheel to hub relationship, in this case.
    +1, you have to remember that you could essentially draw your verticle force line through the center of the contact patch. This line's distance out from the center of the bearing is what will determine the bending loads on the bearing. The further away the worse it gets. If with the spacers, the center of the contact patch is the same or closer to the center of the bearing as stock then the bending forces on the bearing will be the same or better.

DJ

turbo addict

I grabbed a set of extended shank lugs from Summit.....Gorilla part number 68137L. I use a wheel spacer with these lugs and I would call it relatively safe. These lugs drop down into the hole on the wheel to grab more thread.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gor-68137l_w.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	13873