Thread: Is it worth it???......

Garrett booster

Is it worth it???......

My brother is looking at an '89 daytona ES with the 2.5 T1, 5 speed. Supposedly it needs bottom end work, but it runs, although my brother didn't hear it run. The car's body is in really good shape except for it missing the lower airdam on the front bumper. The car will come with an extra 2.5, spare tranny and extra clutches. The car has been sitting for probably close to 10 years. My brother thinks the mileage was 74,000, but not sure if there was a one in front of it or not. The asking price is $500.

What do you guys think, is it worth it, or should he just pass it up. What tranny is in that car? Please let me know.

-Timmy

Re: Is it worth it???......

I think the car would have an A520 in it. I all depends what kind of car your brother likes, some like Daytonas, I prefer L bodies myself...
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

IMO, If I can't drive it home, $500 is too much for a G-body unless it's a Shelby Z, Turbo Z, CS or other top trim.

turbo addict

I think its worth it, but again its all about location ill take a good body over a working motor anyday.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

I agree. If it cant be driven its not worth more then 500 cause you dont know what all is not working or working correctly. for 10years add tires, belts, fluids, tune up, possibly vac lines, small things mostly but they add up fast as hell lol.
    I gave $250 for my 88 shadow es 2.2T and that included the previous owner towing it 2+ hours to my house. Local is key in pricing though so maybe in your area its worth it but in mine it would have to be something special...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

And, if any of those 10 years were parked on grass, the floorboards are shot.

ohh yes the great tells of cancer. I forgot about the biggest detail of them all lol. Check it over really good before you take it home.

Garrett booster

Thanks guys, he is still considering it. I told him about the floorboards. He said he sat in it and the floor on the drivers side felt good, but he didn't check the back ones. If anything, he is looking at maybe using the parts from it and transplant them into his '86 "mini ram". The mini-van that he has already has a 5-speed in it, and it's the panel version with only the window on the sliding door. I'll let him know, thanks again.

My floorboards "felt" good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    My floorboards "felt" good too!

^I wish the floorboards in my Spirit were in that good of shape. that looks like most of it could be taken care of with a grinder/wire wheel and some POR15.

turbo addict

cry babies! come to northern Ontario, ill show you some real rust.

1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    cry babies! come to northern Ontario, ill show you some real rust.

That's nothing new to me.
    That first pic is almost exactly what the Sundance looked like except that it was rusted part of the way up the inner rocker. I expect the Spirit is about that bad, but I haven't pulled the carpet up and looked at it close yet.
    Looks like northern Ontario isn't much worse for rust than northern WV and OH. They salt the roads if it so much as clouds up in the winter around here.