Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sdac 18

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Sdac 18

40 or something small like that and half the people either flew or didn't bring cars. Barry has the real numbers...
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMotorsports View Post
    Because thats what I thought car clubs were about. Involving its members and using their input to make the most informed decision.
    I feel like I am having repeating memories every year about this... why have an event out west if most of the people wont go? Topeka was a great example. Attendance sucked. I could have swore you were coming since it was closer, but then found out that you backed out. (or that was someone else... so apologies if it wasn't)

So not to sound harsh or speak for Barry, but looking at the past... poor attendance in the mid west to west coast is a pretty good reason to stay east and keep SDAC staying in good $$$ graces.
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMotorsports View Post
    Because thats what I thought car clubs were about. Involving its members and using their input to make the most informed decision.
    That works for small clubs or chapters where folks are concentrated in an area. But there is so much involved in putting on one of these events that it is impossible to bring all our membership up to speed so they could make "an informed decision".

But I will tell you what I will do. We will do a "test run".

Everyone vote for either:

1.) Indy 2008 and Columbus 2009.

or

2.) Columbus 2008 and Indy 2009.

And tell my why it makes a difference to you. Don't flip a coin, I can do that.

I want to know your reasoning why one site is preferred over the other for this year or next. THAT is an "informed decision". Any vote cast without a reason to back them up will be discarded.

There ya go, vote away!

Barry
    Last edited by sdac guy; 06-29-2007 at 05:35 AM.
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Then they better be prepared to come east of the Mississippi. We didn't get ANYONE from a state west of KS last year (except Simon who flew in). And you cannot get much more in the middle of America than Topeka. I don't think we will be having another event west of the Mississippi in the foreseeable future.

Barry
    Sorry I let you guys down again . . .

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    What was the attendance for 16?
    We had 66 registered for SDAC-16.

I have some interesting numbers developing for this year's event. Once I have them all I will post up in the SDAC Members Only forum.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

boostaholic

I don't care if 18 is held in Maine...I'll be there. Branden (SoCalCSX) will be coming with me....and maybe Scotty (omniluvr).

As soon as the dates are announced I'm putting in for the time off. Only question is....do I drive the 'S or the 'tona? Or maybe trailer both.....

Incidentally, I vote Indy 2008.

i always wondered: why dont you hold the national SDAC event at the same "best location" every year? like the mopar nats, and dozens of other very successful annual national car events.

pros:
    1. everyone knows well in advance of the locale.
    2. developing long-term stable relations with local suppliers of services helps control costs.
    3. by stabilizing the configuration of the national event we gain prestigue.
    4. participants gain familiarity with the locale, helping participants make best plans and relieving all the unknown factors.

cons:
    1. what is the "best location?"

i'd be interested in Barry's thoughts on this. i really hope to be at sdac 18.

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs232
    As soon as the dates are announced I'm putting in for the time off. Only question is....do I drive the 'S or the 'tona? Or maybe trailer both.....
    After our diversion from the standard schedule last year (SDAC16) we are now back to our standard planned annual event that starts the weekend after Father's Day. For 2008 that would mean the dates are June 21 thru the 24 (give or take a day).

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs232
    Incidentally, I vote Indy 2008.
    Ah, but you didn't give a reason why 2008 vs 2009. You don't give a reason, the vote doesn't count.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    i always wondered: why dont you hold the national SDAC event at the same "best location" every year? like the mopar nats, and dozens of other very successful annual national car events.

pros:
    1. everyone knows well in advance of the locale.
    2. developing long-term stable relations with local suppliers of services helps control costs.
    3. by stabilizing the configuration of the national event we gain prestigue.
    4. participants gain familiarity with the locale, helping participants make best plans and relieving all the unknown factors.

cons:
    1. what is the "best location?"

i'd be interested in Barry's thoughts on this. i really hope to be at sdac 18.
    We get this suggestion every year, and we get how about the same location every other year? But we get many more folks telling us that one thing they really like about our events is that we go someplace different every year. They like to change the location for their vacation around. It is about an 8-10:1 ratio to the above comments.

SDAC-10 which we expected to be overwhelmingly good turnout (because SDAC-9 was canceled) ended up being mediocre in attendance. You know what was the reason I heard most why folks didn't attend? "We've been to Michigan already" was the top reason given.

In reality, having it in one spot would really only benefit the ease of planning and the locals that have in their backyard every year. But the reverse side of that is the folks that would have to drive 500-600 miles (or more) to get there, would have to do that EVERY year. With our current system, hopefully it will be close to the majority of our members every few years.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

I vote columbus 2008 because it is 6 hours away from rochester and hope you find another site for 2009 because indy is 14 hours away.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    I vote columbus 2008 because it is 6 hours away from rochester and hope you find another site for 2009 because indy is 14 hours away.
    There you go! Now that's the spirit!

But I think your numbers are a little skewed. It isn't 8 hours to drive from Indy to Columbus. Maybe 4, if towing.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    But I think your numbers are a little skewed. It isn't 8 hours to drive from Indy to Columbus. Maybe 4, if towing.

Barry
    It's actually only just over 3 hours and that's if you are towing!

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Garrett booster

Thumbs up Re: Sdac 18

I would like to see Indy in 08 than Ohio in 09.Only 4 hours from Chic.Il and well Indy is Indy, thanks

I vote Indy in 2008 because I had it easy this year with Pgh being only 4 hours for me. Plus I have never been to Indy.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would like to see indy next year, as it is very close to me, so I could potentially make it out with two cars. I would also enjoy that because that is where my mom lives, so if I blow up a motor or something horrific, I can just have it towed over there.

Myself and Joy really liked the venue this year, and we are looking forward to the event next year partly due to the fact that it will be in a different place. The fact that it movees was mentioned time and again while we were out in the lot, and it was most everyone's favorite part. If we kept it in once place, I doubt there would be bears running in front of peoples cars during the poker run every year with so many new exciting sites to see.

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

Remember that these are only "Hypothetical Voting Sites" and not necessarily the two locations in the running...

I would love Indy as it would be the closest location to me. I brought three cars with me the last time it was there. Columbus would be okay too but I spend a weekend there a year any way since the Mopar Nats are there. The cops around Columbus are ball busters too. (City of Columbus and Reynoldsburg) Oh and the Ohio drivers are scary. (Sorry those of you with Ohio driver's licenses.)

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

My vote is for Indy in 08. I have never been there, that is my reasoning
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Quote Originally Posted by fleckster View Post
    Remember that these are only "Hypothetical Voting Sites" and not necessarily the two locations in the running...

I would love Indy as it would be the closest location to me. I brought three cars with me the last time it was there. Columbus would be okay too but I spend a weekend there a year any way since the Mopar Nats are there. The cops around Columbus are ball busters too. (City of Columbus and Reynoldsburg) Oh and the Ohio drivers are scary. (Sorry those of you with Ohio driver's licenses.)
    ouch fleck im hurt! Anyways I wouldnt really mind either there both 2 hour drives away from me
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Resident Nuke Turbo Mopar Contributor denviola's Avatar

IIRC the SRT Nats last year was moved from Indy to Topeka due to cost of event facilities, and more to do in one location.

It will be hard to vote for one or the other objectively not knowing facilities and costs. I really think this poll has no purpose other than appeasing the vocal minority. I agree with Frank, this happens every time. There will be a core group that will go each time, regardless of location. Everyone else will go as able or if convenient. I went to the last two from Pa. without a car, just my pickup (700 & 1100 miles each) and had a blast. A business commitment that I could not get out of kept me from SDAC 17, only 2.5 hours away. And having made the initial attempt to host SDAC 17 in the Pa/Md area and not being able to do so, I better understand the planning and work involved.

Most agree SDAC 15 was likely the best in some time, and I hope 17 was better. There was complaining there at 15 as well as online. An event is what you make it when you are there.
    SDAC Member, Steel City Chapter SDAC Member, SV-SDAC member, SV-TD Member
    www.sv-td.com
    85 600 ES Turbo Conv., 91 Spirit R/T
    2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Dually. 6.7 CTD, AISIN, 4.10 gear
    68 GS400 (owned since 1973, someday 455)
    2012 Can-AM RT Limited

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Missed you Denny.... Sorry you couldn't make it
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast