Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sdac 18

Hybrid booster

Re: Sdac 18

In my opinion some discussion like this is very useful. Figure out some possible sites. Get a few ideas. Then let the local chapter work on all the logistics of the location. The chapters could then give you a report of location, hotels, tracks, pricing for everything and convenience of location. You could then take all of that into consideration from these say 3-4 sites. Looking at it from the business stand point you could decide which two of these are best for the club. After all the research is done there could be a formal vote. This way you would know before the vote if the location will work out.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Not to be argumentative but......I think if a few more members from a potential area worked some of the dealers and sponsors in area and came up with a package of financial reasons and resources to have it near their chapter that would go a long way toward mitigating many of the concerns.
    I think the Pittsburgh guys did more of that than has ever been done before (and that has been done at nearly every event before). And the result was more items for the goody bags and discounts at area restaurants. Nobody is going to shell out money unless they can clearly see it is ad money well spent (target audience).

Heck, FWDP probably has a lot more money in the ad budget than T-M.com yet you guys didn't even come close to matching their sponsorship level. So obviously you didn't feel it was worth it. And you guys are reaching your target audience at a high percentage level. So tell me why some local business would be willing to give money to an event that more than likely will not return to their area for a few years? It was asked for this year, and it didn't happen.

There was a local Dodge dealer that was going to bring new models to the car show for display. It was all agreed to in advance, but I sure didn't see them on the show field. So obviously in their mind, it wasn't even worth the effort to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL
    I don't think this is a useless discussion at all in fact quite the opposite.
    Well you are entitled to your opinion. But I think the only thing this discussion accomplishes is that I am forced to say the same stuff again as I do every year after the event.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL
    Again, I think a business meeting of sorts at SDAC would be a good thing.
    You know what I think?? I think your posts are only here to stir up crap. You and Cindy had me in private for 40 minutes on Saturday afternoon. I waited for your concerns to be raised, yet all I got was small talk from you two. So here you are again posting your opinions in a public thread where I find myself on the defensive. Neither you nor Cindy has EVER contacted me privately with your suggestions or concerns. You only want to talk trash in public, and I'm sick of it.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    But that is just the problem Steve (and JT hit it in his most recent post) it is the logistics that really make the determination.
    Well thats where the pros & cons post would come into play.

Lets continue to use Chicago as an example and pretend it was getting more applause compared to another location. That would be the time for you or anyone else to come in and say, Yeah Chicago would be nice but due to costs the registration fee will be higher. The members would then have to decide if they were willing to spend more to have it there.

Better yet why wait for that. If there are two possible locations why not post the info side by side. Post track rental costs for location A and post costs for location B. Post available dates for location A next to available dates for location B.

Same with hotels, food, local attractions, etc. A side by side comparasion should work nicely and common sense would show why the final location was chosen over the other.

Just a suggestion.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Guys.. You cannot even begin to understand the level of co-ordination required to pull off one of these events. Been there planned that (MJUCH thanks to the Doyle brothers for legwork)

Let's not sit on the sidelines and second guess. Personally, when I want to say something to Barry, I pick up the ph and call. Public debates are not worth it.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMotorsports View Post
    Well thats where the pros & cons post would come into play.

Lets continue to use Chicago as an example and pretend it was getting more applause compared to another location. That would be the time for you or anyone else to come in and say, Yeah Chicago would be nice but due to costs the registration fee will be higher. The members would then have to decide if they were willing to spend more to have it there.

Better yet why wait for that. If there are two possible locations why not post the info side by side. Post track rental costs for location A and post costs for location B. Post available dates for location A next to available dates for location B.

Same with hotels, food, local attractions, etc. A side by side comparison should work nicely and common sense would show why the final location was chosen over the other.

Just a suggestion.
    For the reasons I mentioned in my previous posting, I'm not really keen on a vote of any type. And BTW, if we have two sites that are that close, the choice Craig & I make really only selects the event for the coming year. The other one would most likely be the following year. So it is not like we are eliminating a site forever, just delaying that area for a year or two. And for that we have all this discussion going on???

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For the reasons I mentioned in my previous posting, I'm not really keen on a vote of any type. And BTW, if we have two sites that are that close, the choice Craig & I make really only selects the event for the coming year. The other one would most likely be the following year. So it is not like we are eliminating a site forever, just delaying that area for a year or two. And for that we have all this discussion going on???

Barry
    And the way I see it, people vote by attending. So we have SDAC13 at low 140's attendance and SDAC17 with 136. The two lowest in the last 6 years have both been in the northeast. That is the vote I am interested in.

Memphis was big for 12, Cinci was big for 15, both in the mid-west and not necessarily north.

None of these statistics are lost on me.

Baryr
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

turbo addict

Memphis was big for 12, Cinci was big for 15, both in the mid-west and not necessarily north.

Say the word and I'll check into Beech Bend.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Hybrid booster

And for that we have all this discussion going on???

Barry
    Barry look at it this way. Either we are keeping you young or we are putting you in your grave

If you had only announced the location like you had planned

Has there been a convention yet that did not run smoothly? No. If the event was chaotic then I can see the whole announcing it sooner. But come on guys, Barry has done a great job and these events have been great for as long as I can remember. Therefore, let things be handled how they have been. If you want to propose a meet closer to you, then check with Barry to see what steps you need to take to do so. Otherwise, be patient.

Hybrid booster

If these were the two possible locations then this would be when members could post the pros & cons.

Memphis Con: HEAT
    Memphis Pro: Burnouts in front of Graceland

Cinci Con: Higher cost??
    Cinci Pro: Closer for the North of the Border folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMotorsports View Post
    Barry look at it this way. Either we are keeping you young or we are putting you in your grave

If you had only announced the location like you had planned
    Yeah but then my partner would be disappointed with me. I would rather let him make his case for the other site(s) than have that.

Whatever we decide, I am sure it will be just as good for the attendees either way.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo
    Has there been a convention yet that did not run smoothly? No. If the event was chaotic then I can see the whole announcing it sooner. But come on guys, Barry has done a great job and these events have been great for as long as I can remember. Therefore, let things be handled how they have been. If you want to propose a meet closer to you, then check with Barry to see what steps you need to take to do so. Otherwise, be patient.
    Thanks Billy.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    Say the word and I'll check into Beech Bend.
    I would be interested Kevin, thanks. If you find out anything, please send it privately. Of course no guarantees on going there, but info on a track is always good to have.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

turbo addict

OK. We rented it for our local forum a few weeks back. It's a great track. I sent a PM to my good friend who set it all up.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post

Billy with all respect don't forget you knew the location for SDAC 17 long before the rest of us so telling the rest of us to be patient is not fair.

I don't think anyone here is demanding to know the location of SDAC 18 right this minute. I'm actually surprised that there was a possibility for it to have been announced at SDAC-17.

All I'm suggesting is that since its now known that there are two possible locations why not let the members have a say before that decision is final.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMotorsports
    Billy with all respect don't forget you knew the location for SDAC 17 long before the rest of us so telling the rest of us to be patient is not fair.
    Not by much though, 2 months maybe? We contacted them in mid January (after a site we had been looking into for more than 3 months fell through) and we announced to our members in March.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMotorsports
    All I'm suggesting is that since its now known that there are two possible locations why not let the members have a say before that decision is final.
    Because in our decision process, we will pick the site that we feel is right for next year. Trust us, we have a little experience behind us.

You are assuming that by putting it to a vote, the right site would be picked just because it is more popular. But there is more that goes into it than that, a lot more.

What we have now is not a toss up by any means. I thought we had a site ready to announce, and Craig suggested looking into someplace else. But Craig's suggested site requires some looking into details, while mine was pretty much a slam dunk. Hopefully we will have an answer to put in the next newsletter, but if not, then we will announce it as soon as we are sure, and not a second before.

If we are waiting until we have our facts in order, why in the world would we move to involve anyone else in the decision process?

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

I trust Barry's judgment. I have attended 15 and 17 and I had a blast. The events were very well organized. As an SDAC member I support whatever Barry does for this club 100%.
    The only suggestion I have is to try and have the drag racing at night. However, I am willing to bet that Barry has tried to arrange this before but was unable.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    I trust Barry's judgment. I have attended 15 and 17 and I had a blast. The events were very well organized. As an SDAC member I support whatever Barry does for this club 100%.
    The only suggestion I have is to try and have the drag racing at night. However, I am willing to bet that Barry has tried to arrange this before but was unable.
    Thanks Scott. The night time racing has been suggested before. We didn't ask this year as there is a note on the contract that reads, "There is an extra charge of $400 if the track lights are turned on."

There is also a small concern on how it affects our schedule, but nothing that couldn't be worked out if we tried.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks Scott. The night time racing has been suggested before. We didn't ask this year as there is a note on the contract that reads, "There is an extra charge of $400 if the track lights are turned on."

There is also a small concern on how it affects our schedule, but nothing that couldn't be worked out if we tried.

Barry
    Wow, $400 to crank up some lights. I can see why it was during the day. Night would be nice, but not an extra $400 nice. Call me frugal.

Hybrid booster

If we are waiting until we have our facts in order, why in the world would we move to involve anyone else in the decision process?

Barry
    Because thats what I thought car clubs were about. Involving its members and using their input to make the most informed decision.

And the way I see it, people vote by attending. So we have SDAC13 at low 140's attendance and SDAC17 with 136. The two lowest in the last 6 years have both been in the northeast. That is the vote I am interested in.

Baryr
    What was the attendance for 16?
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast