Thread: Custom 3.0 intake manfold

turbo addict

Custom 3.0 intake manfold

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/w...5a00e1e22a.htm

So I took it out for a drive today. even though its a very short runner design, the whole RPM range seems to have improved.

70mm ford throttle body. AIS motor (bolted to side of manifold) from a dodge intrepid 3.5L motor

I used a SOHC montero lower manifold because it has a smaller thermostat housing so I can install it "backwards" on the chrysler cars.
    Here are some pics.
    I measured about 331 cubic inches, more then 5 liters of volume.
    I was trying to make sure there were no walls near the runners so they did not get starved. The SOHC manifold pairs up the intake runners so its about impossible to change that. Not ever going to build a custom lower intake, especially with all our lame coolant stuff that is in the intake.
    those runners have a small venturi because I used a pipe that was expanded at the top (1.625" to 1.75") The inner diameter of the upper runners is only 1.44" which IMO is a bit too small for the size of the intake valves (I cant remember the proper ration but I figured it out before) BUT it is within the tolerable range.
    The buildup thread is here: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...ss-pics-9.html

Ford 70mm vs 52mm chrysler

Hybrid booster

Re: Custom 3.0 intake manfold

sounds like a tps sensor, did the exact same thing on a TI car I had with a v6 throttle body on it, is there an adjustment screw for the throttle big TB?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Looks good, welding also,

Looks like something of a GM TPI motor. You need to get some track and dyno time now,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

not so happy about the hard start issue.
    And I wish I could figure out the TPS code I have been running.

turbo addict

I tried using the auto trans ECU from my turbo 3.0 to see if the tps code would go away and the car wouldnt drive (bucked like crazy) and only idled at like 400 rpms (barely running).

I have no idea why that would happen. Put back in the 5 speed computer and the engine ran fine again except for still not starting unless I hold the throttle open. Still drove fine

Does it stall coming down in RPMS to a stoplight or such?

That's a biiiiig plenum.

turbo addict

when driving it once stalled but otherwise no stalling

the auto trans computer was undrivable because of the bucking.

I was wondering if the computer adaptability had something to do with it. Just seems like the car should run about the same with either computer as thats what it does on a normal 3.0.

Not sure... maybe for some reason the IAC isn't functioning correctly?

IAC should be open for startup throttle, and should open under decel to keep it from stalling.

Just a thought.

turbo addict

The car does drop idle when i come to a stop about 50% of the time.

I wanted to install this on my turbo 3.0 before Saturday to sorta show off but that might not be intelligent at this point. That motor is quirky enough as it is with its cams and headwork.

Saturday is the IDRC races (first time ever to have a major import event in utah..which basically means we FWD chryslers are welcome to play and be recognized) so I wanted some mechanical bling.

It would probalby help a lot if I had a 2nd wideband. I like having more info. Or I can install it on the turbo car and see if it will run. Then the wideband datalogging etc would be helpful. I should wire up TPS monitoring also.

I am guessing if the TPS is not working right then the engine would have a hard time keeping idle where you want it when you close the throttle..cause its just using the MAP sensor to figure things out.

Hybrid booster

Do you see the yellow sticker on the tb? Follow it like a bible law. Those tb have a film to prevent freezing of the blade, if you clean it the film goes with the dirt and the clearance between the blade and the tb will increase creating an idle problem, usually high.

Reinaldo Moloon

turbo addict

I only cleaned the throttle plate because it was..flaking.

Can you school me on your AIS setup? How did you rig it up? I thought the intrepids used the same idle speed valve as our td's??

turbo addict

its just an externally mounted one. It bolts onto the intake manifold instead of being part of the TB

the walbo in my duster died so I wont get to race so i guess I have more time for testing.

turbo addict

Yeah and mileage seems to be very poor.
    Maybe there is a lack of velocity on the intake ports so low rpms and starting it misbehaves...or consumes fuel.

turbo addict

Guess I cant edit anymore.
    Running really rich, I cant adjust the regulator I have on there but i can take care of that problem when its on the turbo car.

turbo addict

So look what I did......
    Anyone saying the jeep 4.0 TPS works on a ford 70mm TB is totally wrong.
    Turns the wrong direction.
    Ford turns the same direction as our stock TPS. Thats why I installed a stock TPS

BTW that gap sorta has to be there unless I cut up the TPS blade on the TB and I'm not going to do that unless I cant fit this in.

Hybrid booster

I like this intake manifold setup! Is that a stealth 3S lower? I'm thinking some bigger cams for my motor and an intake setup like this. That's just make of steel right? How did you attach the steel plenum to the aluminum runners?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

pretty sure all mitsu lowers are about the same. nothing special about the sohc 3.0 as used in the 3s cars compared to other mitsus.

so.... post more opinions. need more detail!

How did you attach the steel plenum to the aluminum runners?
    i believe the answer to that is... look, if it works it works so back off neeyaahhh1!!

turbo addict

the montero lower is the only one that will fit chrysler style. The others would hit the distributor where the thermostat housings (or whatever that area of the lower plenum should be called) is ridiculously big and sticks out.

Interference fit into an aluminum flange that I just cut off the stock upper. Then sealed it up with JB.

And there are no heat soak problems. That hard Nylon spacer I had my friend @ KMP make seems to work.

I know Ive hard lots of people talk about steel intakes putting a lot of heat into the air and well, that sounds like a lot of BS to me because mine never gets hot in the first place. My stock intakes that have had 1" garolite spacers still got very hot, but I think this current intake also stays cooler because the stock 3.0 intake traps air under it where as this intake has no space for that to happen.