Thread: Engine vibrating at idle??

Garrett booster

Engine vibrating at idle??

Well I was driving home the other day and the car just started running like crap and vibrating badly at idle. I checked the timing and it was ok. still getting boost. I have been noticing oil burning when I have been going down the highway and I stop and idle at a light then a cloud when I take off. Any Ideas what to check? 89 daytona 2.5 stock just did a re ring on the engine about 3-4k ago. Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Engine vibrating at idle??

Make sure its running on all 4 cylinders. Have you pulled the plugs? could be burning oil and one or more plugs are fouled. I would start there.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

yes checked the plugs all were tan in color. I also confirmed running on all four.

Check your motor mounts, the front and right side are common for failing then you get all the engine vibration, not nice.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

yeah, then they destroy cvs and all sorts of nasty stuff

Forgot to ask, any codes?

Garrett booster

this'll probably sound kinda odd, but check the MAP sensor connections. one of my lebarons had an awful vibration that went away after swapping the sensor with one from another car, but the sensor worked fine in the other car.

Garrett booster

Well the motor mounts are all new but I will still check them I will also try new MAP sensor that's kinda what I thought it might be. No engine light so I would guess no codes. Its just a strange issue to all of a sudden go from running fine to vibrating and kinda has a stall in the throttle resopnse. With the oil using issue could that be a turbo going bad? The car has 176xxxK on it I would guess its the stock mitsu turbo on the car.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Bad turbo will not cause a miss. How did you verify that it is running on all four cylinders?

I had a sudden loss of one injector a couple weeks ago, but it was a consistent miss at all RPM's.

How about a compression check?

Garrett booster

I verified the car running on all four by pulling wire's one at a time and seeing if it makes a change in the way the engine runs mabye not the best way but it's what I know for quick and dirty. I need to get a compression gauge to check the compression. I tried to get a MAP but the one I bought had different pin setup then the origional guessing that's a good setup by mopar to make sure you get the right one. Any more ideas on what could be wrong. I also verfied the base timing as correct. Could this be a timming belt jump issue?? Thanks, Ben

Garrett booster

yes, the timing belt could've jumped. being a tooth or two off can really make the engine run like crap. it wouldn't hurt to check.

considering the fact that it's burning oil, i'd be all over that motor with a compression gauge.

Garrett booster

Well I finally got a compression gauge and checked it today. It reads 130 across the board. Also it is not a miss it is vibration at idle the car has good power and makes boost the vibration goes away off idle. What now? Thanks Ben

Did you remove the balance shafts?

Standard or auto?

Garrett booster

Yes I did remove the balance shafts and it is a 5spd. But it has not always done this.

I would say then your maybe just noticing it now or yuo've got a bad mount as I said earlier, maybe the flywheel is loose? is your exhaust grounding out anywhere?

Garrett booster

Well I feel stupid it was a bad motor mount front pass mount. dose anyone have a pic of which way this mount goes mabye I have it in backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_amx View Post
    Well I feel stupid it was a bad motor mount front pass mount. dose anyone have a pic of which way this mount goes mabye I have it in backwards!
    HA, I win, lol!

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/common_failures.html

Garrett booster

Hey thanks I have it in right! I think that I need to change the drivers also but it seems like a pain to do. It weird how quickly the mounts can fail. The car dosen't torque steer either.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_amx View Post
    Hey thanks I have it in right! I think that I need to change the drivers also but it seems like a pain to do. It weird how quickly the mounts can fail. The car dosen't torque steer either.
    The drivers side or tranny mount is a tough one but they can fail, its really easy to do. You put a jack up the car and remove the drivers tire, then put the jack under the trans, remove the 15mm bolt thru bolt in the fender well, lower the trans down enough to get at the 3 15mm bolts an remove it whole shebang.

Mounts can last days to years, depends on what brand and how cheaply built they are.

Garrett booster

Well the first mount was and anchor and the replacement is a balcamp we will see how it goes. I have had several other anchor mounts and none have failed this quick but the rest were all for v8 rwd cars I am kinda new to this 4cyl fwd stuff! Thanks again for your help now I need to get the intercooler mounted and piped!