Thread: daytona steering wheels

Garrett booster

daytona steering wheels

anyone ever install an aftermarket wheel in a daytona? if so what all do i need and what brands would you suggest lookin for style? thinking of droppin one in my 89 daytona shelby
    Steve 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger Intercooling now 1986 Chrysler Laser XT RIP 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T2 RIP 1965 Chevy Malibu SS SOLD! 2005 Dodge Ram Rumble Bee #3112 On to new owner 2011 Dodge Charger Rallye Gone 2013 Dodge Journey AWD DD

Hybrid booster

Re: daytona steering wheels

Grant is the most common. You'd need the wheel, an adaptor kit and probably a spacer.
    http://www.grantproducts.com

Garrett booster

what about an air bag car can the wheel be removed still?
    Steve 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger Intercooling now 1986 Chrysler Laser XT RIP 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T2 RIP 1965 Chevy Malibu SS SOLD! 2005 Dodge Ram Rumble Bee #3112 On to new owner 2011 Dodge Charger Rallye Gone 2013 Dodge Journey AWD DD

Hybrid booster

That's not legal, but I'm sure you can. I don't know if Ohio has inspections, but I doubt most inspectors would be that up on the years airbags came in. Just be sure to unhook the battery for awhile before removing it.

Ah I love my 88', last year before air bags LOL. Yes PLEASE disconnect the battery when taking off an airbag steering wheel!!!

Hybrid booster

I like the repop Tuff wheel. Might get one for my Rampage.

I took mine off on my 95 S15. Took wheel off, ripped off the clockspring, then put my aftermarket wheel on. Took out the cluster and took out the airbag light. I like mine in my 90 Tona though so Ill leave that wheel on.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by rare_ram View Post
    That's not legal, but I'm sure you can. I don't know if Ohio has inspections, but I doubt most inspectors would be that up on the years airbags came in. Just be sure to unhook the battery for awhile before removing it.
    IIRC, airbags became manditory in 1992 unless the car had a passive restraint system.

Yes but you still aren't suppose to take one off that came factory equipped with it no matter what year it is.

Hybrid booster

its pricey but i used to have this awesome sparco alcantera (suede) wheel in my bmw. aside from the little balls from the suede during constant use (and no horn button), it was the most comfortable wheel i ever felt. i want to get another but have to find one on sale (usually $230 ouch!)

also nardi makes a 6 bolt hub for our daytonas around $70

Hybrid booster

actually, i think 89 was the last year without airbags. my 89 spirit es didn't have one. i like to keep the interior on my cars looking stock. my favorite 80's dodge wheel is the stock one in my 86 k wagon. i like both the styling and that the rim is very slender. the 90's airbag ones are very macho and good if you have a large grip!

Hybrid booster

in 1990 Chrysler made a big safety push and all "cars" came with a driver's side airbag. This is why the Omni got a re-designed interior in 1990.
    [COLOR="Red"][B][I]Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world![/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]2005 Dodge Neon - *15.88@85* - Daily Driver[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]1985 Dodge Shelby Charger - Project Car[/COLOR]

Every 89' daytona I ever saw had an airbag.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rare_ram View Post
    I like the repop Tuff wheel. Might get one for my Rampage.
    Where can these be bought do you know? And do they have an install kit for our cars? Thanks

Edit: I did a search and it's Grant that makes them and they work with the standard install kit for our cars #4315. I might be getting one in the future!
    Last edited by Wes85L; 07-15-2007 at 01:44 AM.