Thread: T3/T4 Exhaust and flange

Mitsu booster

T3/T4 Exhaust and flange

I am going to have a plate waterjet cut for the cover on the turbine housing..
    (Normally where the swing valve assembly bolts too)
    Using the same 5? bolt pattern shape...
    Someone had said to use a 2.5 inch mandrel bent aluminized pipe for the turn down..
    Then 6-9" down that pipe..weld at an angle the piping for the discharge from the waste gate...
    After that go 3" pipe down....They said that the 2.5 " pipe off the turbine will keep the velocity of the exhaust gases up until it reaches the 3" down pipe..
    Is this true???
    Or should I go 3" all the way????

This is for a 2.2 hybrid 16 Valve that I am trying to finish!! for my omni...
    Please help..Thank you Jayson

Hybrid booster

Re: T3/T4 Exhaust and flange

Turbine exit flanges for the standard 5-bolt exit are available. I assume that your trying to use a chrysler housing instead of a ford/volvo/standard housing.

3" all the way is the way to go, pressure differential is the way a turbo works. So the least amount of restriction on the turbine exit will provide the best power.

I'd also skip out on routing the wastegate back into the exhaust. Here's a case where back to back dyno's show a loss of 38whp with the only change being a reroute into the exhaust vs a small muffler on the dump.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...dump+vs+recirc

Mitsu booster

Re: T3/T4 Exhaust and flange

Hey Turbo GLH
    Thanks for that info...I even watched the little vid!!!
    I can not believe that it could lose so much power by installing it into the exhaust stream.....I just figured it was the best way to do it???/
    But now I have changed my mind...
    Thank you Jayson