Thread: Need early L body gauge cluster wiring pinouts

Need early L body gauge cluster wiring pinouts

I'm needing the pinouts for the early L body gauge cluster wiring connectors. Looking to swap to a newer style cluster and if someone has the pinouts this would be easier than figuring everything out with a multimeter and a test light. Well calling them pinouts is not really all that accurate seeing as the early cluster used cheap connectors without pins, lol. Anyway the early cluster(not sure on what the least year this piece was offered in) used two rectangular connectors - one long one and one short one. This is different than the later gauge cluster pinouts, which I know can be found in the knowledgebase. And cause everyone loves pics, here's a few.

Cluster out of my brother's 83 rampage:

The back: note the two holes for the cheapie slip connectors on each side of the speedo housing.

The connectors: you can see the two grey connectors wrapped together in the middle. You can clearly see the short one and the little tabs that hold it on.

Hybrid booster

Re: Need early L body gauge cluster wiring pinouts

Why would you want to get rid of that? It has the wonderful you're screwed light instead of an oil, temp or power light. I've got the 82 FSM, I'll see what it says.

Hybrid booster

OK, this is what it says.
    Large connector
    1=gauge and lamp warning feed
    2=left turn indicator
    3=seat belt warning lamp
    4=ammeter
    6=hi-beam indicator
    7=ammeter
    9=illumination lamp
    10=ground
    11=oil and temp lamp
    Small connector
    1=right turn indicator
    2=fuel gauge
    5=brake warning lamp

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, that'll definitely make wiring in the new setup a lot easier than trial and error with a test light and multimeter!

Ammeter #7 and #4!!!? Still using an ammeter by 83? I know in 1975 chrysler changed it so that no longer did the car's entire current load have to travel thru the ammeter like it does on my old plymouth, but I'm still surprised ma mopar hadn't ditched the ammeter all together by 83. I know by this time the ammeter was merely a glorified volt meter, but still.

Hybrid booster

Here's the pin out for the ralleye just incase.

Large
    4=illumination lamp
    6=ground
    7=seatbelt warning
    9=left turn indicator
    10=brake warning lamp
    12=gauge and warning lamp feed

Small
    1=ammeter
    2=fuel gauge
    3=oil and temp
    4=hi-beam
    5=right turn indicator
    6=ammeter

Judging by the pic of the printed circuit board the 2 ammeter lines are 1 for each side of it.

I wonder if I can hook the volt meter wires up to one or both of those ammeter wires? Probably not a good idea, I know the later ammeters use some kind of a shunt that I'm not 100% familiar with, maybe best just to hook it up the old fashioned way.