Thread: Power steering rack....again

Hybrid booster

Power steering rack....again

Well it seems that after buying two inner tie rods and new bellows, the !@#$% rack just wants to leak for no apparent reason.

In looking over the FSM and some old threads and not finding the answer, is there a way to just unbolt the rack, pop the tie rods, steering coupler and just slide the rack out W/O unbolting the K-frame?

Just trying not to spend my day(s) off yet again fixing this blasted car and having it 1/2 apart in 90+ degree weather...blah.

Mike

90 Shadow VNT (1/2 apart)
    90 Shadow T-I (bleeding PS fluid)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Power steering rack....again

Yeah, I have been told to never replace the inner ends because the rack will go shortly thereafter.

Anywho, I would think that you should be able to do it with some patience. I know that you can disconnect the fittings from the rack fairly easily from above the trans once you take the air box etc. out. I think that patince would be the key, but perhaps someone who has actually done it in car will be along to confirm my suspicions.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Re: Power steering rack....again

My Shadow started leaking power steering fluid from the passenger side of the steering rack, from the rubber boot where the inner tie rod is, and it was a bad leak! I used one of the big bottles of power steering fluid in a week, and everywhere i parked my car it left a huge puddle of oil. So i bought some of this Lucas power steering fluid additive thats supposed to stop any leak, and i used the whole bottle and about a week later after topping it up regularly with this stuff, it's not leaking anymore. I know this isn't the proper way of fixing the problem, but it gets me by until i have time to replace the rack. Where is your rack leaking from?

You can get the steerinig rack out of there without dropping the K-frame, but its a bit tricky.